“Average food - bad manager”
Review of Ragtime Tavern

Ragtime Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Ragtime Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Daphne, Alabama
“Average food - bad manager”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My adjacent hotel gives out 10% off coupons for this restaurant, so that's why I went here for dinner. Posted outside was a menu with something on it I liked, but I didn't realize it was the lunch menu. The menu looked familiar and I remembered this restaurant was the "sister" of another restaurant I ate at in St. Augustine - but I didn't know the menus would be identical at restaurants with different names. I decided to go in anyway, was seated immediately and my pleasant server took my order for the item on the lunch menu.

The fish and chips serving was small and a bit greasy but was good. I asked for the bill and gave the server the coupon, then waited. She came back to apologize for the delay but she had to wait for the manager to process my credit card with the discount. That immediately irritated me and I did something I haven't done in years - I asked the server to send the manager back to the table with my credit card and bill. I couldn't believe that the server wasn't allowed to process a credit card with a discount and I had to wait for the manager to do it.

I told the manager the coupon was the reason I chose his restaurant - and he laughed. I asked why a manager had to process my credit card if I was using a discount coupon and that I wasn't happy with the delay while I had to wait for him to do that. He said the employees couldn't be trusted to do it, explaining they'd give discounts to their friends and for unauthorized reasons if management wasn't required to handle the transaction. Now I've never worked in a restaurant so maybe that's common and I wouldn't have known any difference except that my server told me the reason for the delay.

The manager began arguing with me after I mentioned a coupon had to be attached to the order ticket to justify the discount, so why couldn't employees be trusted to do that right? With an attitude, he asked if I'd ever prepared a tempura batter, which is what was used on the fish for my dinner - I guess it was his way of explaining why my dinner experience had taken so long when I had ordered off the lunch menu and I should have expected it would take longer. I said it didn't take long to get my dinner ordered from the lunch menu but I was irritated I had to wait for him to process my discount. I couldn't believe he was fighting with me!

I said if he didn't want customers to order off the lunch menu for dinner, then servers should tell the customers that wasn't allowed. If he did allow items on the lunch menu to be ordered for dinner and he thought it would take longer for the chef to prepare it, then he should train the servers to tell customers that. I think that if a chef knows what he/she is doing, preparing an item from the lunch menu at dinner time shouldn't take longer. The manager still seemed amused that I wasn't happy with his statement that none of his employees could be trusted to process discounts. I tipped my server well because she did a good job and even though the restaurant was busy, I didn't have a great experience.

Visited July 2013
Miranda D, Guest Relations Manager at Ragtime Tavern, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We're sorry to hear the experience you had at Ragtime wasn't great. We'll definitely pass along your feedback to the team and can have someone follow up with you by phone/email if you'd like. Just email us your contact information at (gbsocialmedia@cwrestaurants.com) and someone will be in touch. Thank you for your business!

Mooresville, North Carolina
“Fun place but not made for getting together”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We went on a Thursday night and it was busy. It was very loud though. That made it hard to talk with the people we were with. The music was really good though and the food was excellent! Their wheat beer was very good. The Bloody Mary was very small though. I would stick with wine and beer if you want what you pay for. The service was really good though!

South Georgia
“Possibly the best crab cakes in florida!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We happened upon Ragtime July 3rd while in town for the fireworks. The restaurant is attractive and clean, the service is smooth and friendly and the beer is brewed in house. What else could you ask for? Free parking. Atlantic Beach has lots of free parking. So if you are in the mood for ice cold craft beer and lots of food for the money, you won't be disappointed.

Jacksonvile, Fl
“This place is just loud”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went here with a party of 8 as part of a vacation weekend at the beach and none of us could hear each other at the table. The drunken people at the bar, the music playing, and the general cacophony of the place made it impossible to enjoy ourselves. I guess that's a beach bar for you. Shrug. Oh, and they don't take reservations. It's only "call ahead," so when you get there the timer starts, which is fine but just be aware, especially if you are bringing hungry, impatient little kids with you. The gumbo is delicious.

Newnan, GA
“Great food and service”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We sat at bar and had the sliders and lobster tacos, excellent. The following night we came back and went to happy hour and their 5 and 7 dollas appetizers which were very good, calamari, shrimp and dip. Good place!!!

Visited July 2013