“Good place to lay your head ”

Econo Lodge Mayport
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
“Good place to lay your head ”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

What can I say? I didn't expect much since we only payed $60 dollars a night on a very busy weekend. Yes of course, things aren't the best. There was a crew of people out just hanging around the hotel all night all weekend, they weren't bad people, but still. The lady at the desk gave me the wrong wifi password like 4 times, but I'm a patient person, so that's okay. It's close to the beach, so that's a plus. Another plus is the CVS right beside it.

Bottom line is, we booked this place just to sleep for 3 nights and that's exactly what we got. We were so busy all weekend that we were only there in the morning and at night. I'll probably stay closer to Neptune beach next time, but that's nothing against this hotel.

Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pelham
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I booked 2 rooms over the internet with this dump because it was listed as a Quality Inn. I have never had problems and being so close to the base, I thought it would be ok. I admit I have never been so wrong. Rooms were so disgusting, if I owned a dog, I could not have left it in there. ROOMS HAD MILDEW, WET NASTY SHEETS, CARPETS WERE WET, AND THE AIR DID NOT WORK, IT IS JUNE IN FLORIDA. MY daughters room had blood stains on the bed, and hairs on the sheets. the lamp shades were broken and nasty. There was half eaten pizza boxes under the beds. My grandson has asthma and had an attack from the mold and mildew. Then there was the worms in the bed. The pool was green and had trash flooding on top of the green water. the night shift guy was as rude as the rooms were dirty. I COULD NOT RECOMMEND FOR ANY LIVING PERSON STAYING THERE EVER. NEEDS TO BE LEVELD WITH THE DIRT.

Room Tip: Do not even think about staying there. Nasty, stinky, rude people.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Wendy B
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

It is now an EconoLodge. We have stayed at other Choice Hotels and never had problems, however, this one was terrible. The room and hallways were dirty, the a/c was noisy and the water was scalding hot. The worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicola d
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have never had a bad experience at any Quality Inn, or any other Choice Hotel for that matter. I wish I could say something good about this place, but as the title of this review suggests, I didn't stay there any longer than I had to.

While visiting the area to house-hunt before a military transfer, we liked the fact that this place was close to NS Mayport. However after arriving at 1130 PM, we were extremely tired and excited to get some sleep. When we arrived, it was obvious that the area the hotel is in was not the best part of town. This is not usually an issue for us, as long as it is safe. I cannot say that I felt safe, based on the people I saw lingering outside and on the street.

When we checked in, we promptly drove around to the back of the hotel where our room was. Upon entering the room, it had a musty smell. Not a big deal, as long as it is clean. My mother, who was travelling with us, checked around to make sure all was well. Unfortunately, upon inspection of the sheets and bedding, it was obvious that the sheets were not cleaned before we arrived. The sheets were creased and wrinkled, the way sheets usually are after being slept in, and they did not smell freshly-laundered.

Next, we checked out the bathroom. Not much to see, it needed some updating, but not terrible. The only thing I can comment on was that the back of the toilet did not fit properly, and you could see down in the tank when you looked straight at the toilet.

Lastly, after we brought our bags in, my mother went to grab the ice bucket to go fill it up. When she opened it up, there was about 1/4" of water sitting in the bottom of it. Kinda gross, but not as disgusting as the personal hair that she found floating in the water. Needless to say, we walked right back to the front desk with the ice bucket, and informed them we would not be staying there at all. The man at the front desk cancelled my reservation and assured me I would not be charged. Unfortunately I was charged, and several calls later with the manager of the hotel, I had to resort to Choice Hotels customer service to get reimbursed.

As I stated before, there is nothing good I have to say about this hotel. Leaving us with no option but to try to find a hotel for 3 nights at 1130PM will get you 1 star in my book.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank lydia t
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This is the closest hotel to the base and they should be ashamed of how filthy the rooms are. The carpet had stains all over it. I doubt if it's been shampooed in the last 5 years. The sheets are worn out, the frig was not clean, the housekeepers half clean because the corners of the room and the bathroom were filled with dust and grime. I can handle an outdated hotel, but outdated and filthy is unacceptable! I took pictures, and I wish I could upload them here. I can't see how they pass inspection.

Room Tip: Go next door to Best Western.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Tstoree3
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Hotel is in a dingy part of town. As you walk in to front desk you smell the damp air. The hotel room is was worse. The room was small with ola old chair with the the fabric worn. The damp and mustiness of the room was unbearable.

Room Tip: Only saw room 109, It smelled and had a green chair with torn fabric. It looked like a creepy movie...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Exquisitey
Lakeland, FL
Reviewed February 17, 2014

A motel in close proximity to a military installation is going to see a LOT of HARD use.
It's just the nature of things - and it will usually be obvious.
This is an old facility, and it shows in many ways - such as thin walls that allow noise transmission between rooms, and dated fixtures.
However, the desk clerk was friendly and efficient, parking was a breeze, and, with the exception of a long overdue defrosting of the freezer in the mini-fridge, the room was clean and properly maintained.
Ours was only a single night stay, but it was a pleasant night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Econo Lodge Mayport? Share your experiences!