“One MAJOR problem.”

One Ocean Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Reviewed May 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Everything was great except for one particular situation we encountered.
The night of our honeymoon we left to walk on the beach. While we were gone, a housekeeper came into our rooms for turn-down service. After she left, our wedding bottle of champagne was gone. It had been opened and two small glasses were poured for our wedding toast. It was placed back in a corner of the desk with several things around it so that it would not be mistaken for trash. My husband and I were very disappointed. It was a bottle of Dom Perignon 2000 vintage brut champagne. The bottle cost more than we paid for the room that night. It was something very special that we wanted to save forever.
Upon mentioning this to the front desk, we did not ever receive an apology. We received a "Well she must have thought it was trash".
I don't know or care if she took it or tossed it. We should have been told that someone was going to look for it, at least.
I know that this is a little thing and probably wouldn't be a big deal to other people, but throwing away something so memorable and valuable to us for our big day really outweighed the other qualities of the hotel. I was never offered any sort of consolation, which is why two years later I still associate One Ocean Resort with the hotel who threw away my wedding champagne rather than the location of my honeymoon.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
OneOceanMgmt, Public Relations Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2010

We are sincerely apologize that such a valuable and sentimental item was discarded from your room without your permission. Please know that since your stay, which took place during the first month the resort was open, we have fine tuned our operations to ensure nothing of this sort happens again. Thank you for your constructive feedback and we hope that we have the opportunity to replace your unfortunate resort experience with a positive one in the future.

The One Ocean Team

There are newer reviews for One Ocean Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 3, 2010

Air conditioner didn't work in the room, so on a day when its in the mid to upper 80s, the room stayed around 78 even at night (speaking with others on the elevators, they also had that same issue). Wish they would get rid of the mandatory valet. I am already paying a parking fee and the valets expect a tip for driving my car 40 yards.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
OneOceanMgmt, Public Relations Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2010

We apologize that you were affected by the technical difficulties of the air conditioning system during your stay. Please know that we strive to make each guest's stay as comfortable as possible and have fixed the problem. We also appreciate the constructive feedback regarding the limited parking situation in Atlantic Beach. We hope you choose to visit us again soon, and that we can exceed your expectations during your next stay.

The One Ocean Team

Reviewed April 20, 2010

This trip was a business trip for a nursing conference. The rooms were perfect, the beds luxurious, amenities were included in the room price. The experience was much like being on a luxurious cruise where friendly, helpful staff abound to meet one's every need. The ocean view was beautiful, the room was plush beyond belief, the fitness center was clean and available 24-hours (I used it at 3 am).

The thing that took this conference visit over the top was the attitude of the staff. They were friendly, available, and met my needs before I was even aware that I had a need. I have traveled and stayed in many nice hotels, I have to say, this was the best I have ever experienced. I will be going back soon for a romantic getaway at this facility with my husband, I can't wait..

The conference facilities and staff were just as luxurious and perfect as everything else about this stay! The prices were all inclusive in the rooms, so one was not constantly charged $10 for this or $5 for that. Even the snacks in the fridge and sodas were included.

For the services, staff and amenities provided this was well worth the room price which was not at all outrageous. I recommend that you go as often as you can, I sure plan to.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank tierrasdream
jeremyzuber, Guest Services Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2010

Thank you very much for your gracious review of One Ocean Resort, Hotel & Spa! The Associates of One Ocean take great pride in offering the most elegant, intuitive, and authentic service possible, and we certainly look forward to hosting you and your husband for your romantic getaway. Whether it is for business or leisure, we firmly believe that every guest experience is special, and we will do our utmost to make your visit a memorable one.

Warm Regards,

Jeremy Zuber
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed April 19, 2010

The minute we drove up, I knew we were in for a fantastic stay. We drove up to the Valet and had people in suits taking out our luggage and showing us to our room! We never even went to the desk (I did have a reservation so they already had my info). As we were walking in to the hotel, we were told about all the amenities and we walked through a very beautiful foyer with plenty of comfy couches to chill on after you get your drinks at the bar- which is located right in the foyer! We thought this was a bit strange at first but after we visited it the first time, we agreed it was a very smart place to have it. We were right in the middle of it all. People coming in and out of the hotel and the bartender had many stories that added to the experience.
Our room was awesome. Decorated and super clean. We got a oceanfront room with a balcony and a king bed. It also had a lounger chair, a desk, a dresser and a 42' flat screen TV. Attention to detail is obvious- a light automatically turns on when you open the closet for starters. The bathroom has a tiled walk-in shower with TWO shower heads! The shampoo, bath gel, etc are awesome and I chose to use them over the things I had packed. (That's a first.) The one con is the bathroom is really tight. You have to close the door to the bathroom to open the shower door. And although I noticed, it didn't bother me. My husband mentioned it too, I think it bothered him...
After we got up to our room, the gentleman who brought our bags up informed us we would have another visitor. Our Docent. Docent=Personal Luxury Assistant! They will help you with anything. They even steam your garments for free! (We did not use that service) I am not sure how the tipping is supposed to go for a person like this but it was worth the tip to have someone cater to our every whim and answer every question.
I sent my husband for a massage at the spa located right in the hotel. He said you should definitely go before your appointment and take advantage of all the extras they offer. Free wine, champagne, etc massaging showers and lounge chairs facing floor-to-ceiling windows looking out to the ocean are just a few extras. He said the massage was great too and tried to get me to go the next morning. (But it was HIS birthday.)
We ate dinner at the restaurant in the hotel- Azurea. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes! They start with a basket of different kinds of bread and 4 types of spreads/dips for you to try with the bread. We ordered the Blue Crab Cakes as an appetizer and all we could say to each other was, "Wow!" We both ordered fish since everything is fresh and the Amber Jack was heaven. It is hard to tell what comes with it since they list all the sides as al carte. We ordered sides and the fish actually came with a side. Oops! But the sides we ordered al carte, were huge portions! One side can feed 2 people, no problem. When we came back to the room, we had a plate of fresh fruit and a note thanking us for coming. (Again, attention to detail...this hotel is all about your experience.)
We spent the next day by the pool, listening to the waves from the beach just a few feet away. The pool is surrounded by comfy chairs, couches and "beds" (just a big cushion on a frame.) There is a bar and grill type place where the pool is but we were there early and the grill didn't open until 11am.
The location of the hotel is another plus. You can walk to several other cafes, restaurants and bars. Pete's Bar (oldest bar), RagTime (Cajun food and microbrewery) are just a couple. There is also a cigar bar, Italian and Japanese restaurants too. And a short drive down the road has Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Carraba's, and a lot of other places.
I can't say enough about how great this place was for the money. I booked a package deal that included some spa credit and free valet (normally costs $15) and free resort fee (normally $25). I suggest doing this as it was much more cost efficient and didn't make you stay multiple days. I know they change their deals monthly so I look forward to booking another one for our return trip we are already planning!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I was actually shocked to read some of the negative reviews about this hotel. It's really a shame because my experience was so amazing. I consider myself a pretty tough critic when it comes to hotels and I find it hard to come up with anything negative to say. The worst thing... yes, the toilet and shower are in the same room as the vanity. It would be nice if the vanity was outside the bathroom so you could get ready while someone else was showering or... well, you know. But everything else about this hotel was great!

The hotel is right on the beach. Look out the spa windows at the ocean and watch surfers and dolphins. The spa, by the way, was expensive but worth every penny. The mimosa's were flowing and we were treated like princesses. The decor throughout the hotel and in the rooms was gorgeous.... simple, calming, ocean colors. The beds were so comfy, too!

Unlike most resorts that charge a resort fee for a newspaper and access to the gym, everything was included in their resort fee. Valet parking, wireless internet, a fully-stocked refrigerator (water, soda) and snack drawer (chips, cookies candy) and you could have as much as you wanted... no extra fees... no $6 bottles of water... it was all included. They restocked it every day or would bring you more of anything with just a phone call. Need some ice? Pick up the phone and it's at your door in minutes. The staff was so friendly. The pool was small but heated and the lounge chairs were huge and comfy.

My friend and I ordered room service for breakfast one morning and it wasn't any more expensive than other cold, cruddy breakfasts I've had delivered before, EXCEPT this breakfast was amazingly good and hot. We both had the egg-white omelet with asparagus and tomato with multi-grain bread. My friend added chicken sausage and I had an espresso. It was well worth every penny.

The hotel is also located within a short walk of numerous bars and restaurants. A $5 cab ride gets you to a few more. Even though the weather was chilly and rainy while we were there, we all had a truly wonderful time.

I can't really understand what could have gone wrong for others but my experience was nothing but wonderful and I plan to go back with my husband for a nice romantic weekend.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank GatorGirl352
Reviewed February 23, 2010

We happened upon this hotel while visiting the area and initially guessed it to be an upscale condominium. We decided to walk in and find out. The lobby is stunning and simple. The gal at the front desk was looking at us as though we were lost. When we approached to inquire if this was a hotel she replied that they are "always asked that". I suppose they want to be "under the radar"? When asked about availability for the night she was very hesitant and seemed confused. She handed us a brochure for the spa and told us to look around. We ended up being directed into a stairwell when we asked an employee how to get back to the lobby. Strange, because we were standing in front of the elevator that would have taken us there. Let me add that we were dressed appropriately and are clean middle aged people. We decided to book a room based on the sheer beauty and location of the hotel. Here are a few more oddities that ensued: we had to ask about parking before we were told it's an extra $15 charge, our room was ready 2 hours after the time we were told, so we headed to the bar where the bartender was totally overwhelmed working by himself (on a very busy day due to a running race) and the tension between the staff that later arrived was obvious, the dining manager was walking around totally oblivious to the dirty tables and the disgruntled guests and chose to bicker with an employee over the time she was scheduled, there wasn't a drop of soap or even a dispenser in the restrooms near the restaurant, the other restroom down the hall had empty soap dispensers, our room overlooked the nasty trash containers and the employee smoking area in the back of the hotel, the complimentary garment steaming was backed up by 3 hours (the first and last time I used the "one touch service", I had to take a shower with the dial turned all the way to hot (maybe everyone else was showering at the same time?), we paid $25 for a few snacks and drinks in the fridge (gee thanks). I'll stop there for sake of space. I like the idea of this hotel and I sincerely hope that the management improves drastically. It's very unfortunate that there seems to be an overall lack of pride among staff.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eastcoastbeachlover
Reviewed February 10, 2010

My husband and I truly enjoyed our stay. Hotel was beautiful. We are low-key people who prefer to park our own car, iron our own clothes, open our own doors. Service offered is so over the top I often felt guilty but that's me. Upon our arrival we were greeted in our room with an expensive bottle of champagne and fruit and cheese platter. Hotel staff took credit for it as a welcome gift, however, ended up being a gift from an associate who called the hotel ahead of time. Hotel did try to make up for it by sending up the note that should have come with it and a little gift besides. However, we did feel embarassed that we did not call and thank the true giver of the gift until the next day. Bed was very comfortable. Room beautiful. Food at hotel excellent. Extra hidden charges (resort fee, parking). Overall we truly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is a gem in the area. If the hotel was in a nicer area they could certainly charge more.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LBELA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Best Western Oceanfront
Best Western Oceanfront
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach

Been to One Ocean Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!