“Fabulous "Girls Weekend"”

One Ocean Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I was actually shocked to read some of the negative reviews about this hotel. It's really a shame because my experience was so amazing. I consider myself a pretty tough critic when it comes to hotels and I find it hard to come up with anything negative to say. The worst thing... yes, the toilet and shower are in the same room as the vanity. It would be nice if the vanity was outside the bathroom so you could get ready while someone else was showering or... well, you know. But everything else about this hotel was great!

The hotel is right on the beach. Look out the spa windows at the ocean and watch surfers and dolphins. The spa, by the way, was expensive but worth every penny. The mimosa's were flowing and we were treated like princesses. The decor throughout the hotel and in the rooms was gorgeous.... simple, calming, ocean colors. The beds were so comfy, too!

Unlike most resorts that charge a resort fee for a newspaper and access to the gym, everything was included in their resort fee. Valet parking, wireless internet, a fully-stocked refrigerator (water, soda) and snack drawer (chips, cookies candy) and you could have as much as you wanted... no extra fees... no $6 bottles of water... it was all included. They restocked it every day or would bring you more of anything with just a phone call. Need some ice? Pick up the phone and it's at your door in minutes. The staff was so friendly. The pool was small but heated and the lounge chairs were huge and comfy.

My friend and I ordered room service for breakfast one morning and it wasn't any more expensive than other cold, cruddy breakfasts I've had delivered before, EXCEPT this breakfast was amazingly good and hot. We both had the egg-white omelet with asparagus and tomato with multi-grain bread. My friend added chicken sausage and I had an espresso. It was well worth every penny.

The hotel is also located within a short walk of numerous bars and restaurants. A $5 cab ride gets you to a few more. Even though the weather was chilly and rainy while we were there, we all had a truly wonderful time.

I can't really understand what could have gone wrong for others but my experience was nothing but wonderful and I plan to go back with my husband for a nice romantic weekend.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank GatorGirl352

Reviewed February 23, 2010

We happened upon this hotel while visiting the area and initially guessed it to be an upscale condominium. We decided to walk in and find out. The lobby is stunning and simple. The gal at the front desk was looking at us as though we were lost. When we approached to inquire if this was a hotel she replied that they are "always asked that". I suppose they want to be "under the radar"? When asked about availability for the night she was very hesitant and seemed confused. She handed us a brochure for the spa and told us to look around. We ended up being directed into a stairwell when we asked an employee how to get back to the lobby. Strange, because we were standing in front of the elevator that would have taken us there. Let me add that we were dressed appropriately and are clean middle aged people. We decided to book a room based on the sheer beauty and location of the hotel. Here are a few more oddities that ensued: we had to ask about parking before we were told it's an extra $15 charge, our room was ready 2 hours after the time we were told, so we headed to the bar where the bartender was totally overwhelmed working by himself (on a very busy day due to a running race) and the tension between the staff that later arrived was obvious, the dining manager was walking around totally oblivious to the dirty tables and the disgruntled guests and chose to bicker with an employee over the time she was scheduled, there wasn't a drop of soap or even a dispenser in the restrooms near the restaurant, the other restroom down the hall had empty soap dispensers, our room overlooked the nasty trash containers and the employee smoking area in the back of the hotel, the complimentary garment steaming was backed up by 3 hours (the first and last time I used the "one touch service", I had to take a shower with the dial turned all the way to hot (maybe everyone else was showering at the same time?), we paid $25 for a few snacks and drinks in the fridge (gee thanks). I'll stop there for sake of space. I like the idea of this hotel and I sincerely hope that the management improves drastically. It's very unfortunate that there seems to be an overall lack of pride among staff.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eastcoastbeachlover
Reviewed February 10, 2010

My husband and I truly enjoyed our stay. Hotel was beautiful. We are low-key people who prefer to park our own car, iron our own clothes, open our own doors. Service offered is so over the top I often felt guilty but that's me. Upon our arrival we were greeted in our room with an expensive bottle of champagne and fruit and cheese platter. Hotel staff took credit for it as a welcome gift, however, ended up being a gift from an associate who called the hotel ahead of time. Hotel did try to make up for it by sending up the note that should have come with it and a little gift besides. However, we did feel embarassed that we did not call and thank the true giver of the gift until the next day. Bed was very comfortable. Room beautiful. Food at hotel excellent. Extra hidden charges (resort fee, parking). Overall we truly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is a gem in the area. If the hotel was in a nicer area they could certainly charge more.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LBELA
Reviewed February 9, 2010

HORRIBLE SERVICE.

I usually dismiss bad service as just one employee having a bad day and taking it out on me... this is not the case here. They have consistent bad service with virtually all employees.

Our fist experience there was being treated like low class people that don't belong. Quotes like "Your name is not on the reservation list so nope you are not staying here." were just the beginning.

Our front desk interaction ended with the front desk person not even offering to help up figure out why our names were not on the guest list... instead we were told to go cal the person that made the reservation.

By the end of our three day stay there I could not help but completely feel unwelcome. It seems the staff goes out of their way to show you they are being nice but it is just them being condescending.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank lanbui
Reviewed January 15, 2010

This One Ocean Hotel presents a wacky mix of upscale and Holiday Inn. The front of the house staff are super-solicitous and gracious, pretty much what you’d see in a swanky hotel. Back of the house: not so much.

My guesst room was nice: a desk that you can actually use as a table; comfy beds, comforters and pillows. A good quality wide-screen HD TV; I thought that Jay Leno and Heidi Klum were actually in the room with me. However, not a great channel selection (e.g., no HBO).

Some more however’s: the windows were not clean, which marred my okay-view of the ocean. I was there four days and it was clear day-to-day that things had not all been cleaned the way they should (e.g., a spill in the fridge stayed there). There was no iron or ironing board, but they sent one up immediately upon my request. The board was old and painfully screechy when I opened it. You can control the temp in the room pretty well, but there is apparently no fresh air intake and the air quality was not the best. Windows do not open; pay more for a room with a balcony if you really want fresh air.

The phone reception was terrible. I generally prefer a landline to my cell phone, but the cell was actually more comfortable.

Although it does not say so anywhere I could see, the snacks and drinks in fridge are covered by your resort fee, so you don’t need to pay for them (at least not for a second time).

Bathroom, not just tiny; it is teeny. The toilet practically bangs into the door. If you and your roommate like brushing your teeth together, you can forget it. Amazingly excellent shower, with super-high pressure. However, when I ran the bath, water drip-drip-dripped down from the shower. Towels are medium quality; nice amenities. Bathrobes included.

I had room service for breakfast two days. It was not more expensive than in the restaurant, which was fabulous. However, on both days my order was not what I asked for; the second day extremely so. On that day, the breakfast also came ten minutes late, even though I had ordered it with 30 minutes notice; this counts if you’re in a rush. Also, part of a label was on a pepper bit; yuck. In fairness, management addressed it immediately and did comp me the meal. But still …

Aside from the label and the mix-ups, the breakfasts were good. I had dinner in the restaurant one night. New York prices, but I’m from New York so it didn’t faze me, and the food was excellent. Wait staff did have the germy and unnecessary affectation of opening and handing you your napkin, which I for one do not appreciate. Booths are wonderfully comfortable and intimate; upscale ambience.

I did not find the nearby restaurants very inspiring; if you like good food, you had better rent a car. (Speaking of which: car service for the half-hour ride between hotel and airport is $80! Apparently a taxi cab is about the same and there are no other options. What a racket.)

I did not use the spa, but – like the restaurant: New York prices. If you’re from anywhere else, you’ll probably find the prices astronomic. (Also, a word of warning: I had a massage at the airport – admittedly hit-or-miss. If you really want a massage, I would open up my pocketbook and spring for a decent one at the hotel. [Note: for a really excellent airport massage: Indianapolis.]

I was at the One Ocean for a business meeting, so a few words about that. Like the other front of the house staff: excellent service from conference staff; some of the best I’ve seen in terms of helpfulness and attitude, and that goes for the wonderful A/V vendor as well. Nevertheless, I cannot recommend this facility for a meeting. The rooms are very dark and very musty. Ugh.

In closing, it is too bad that the quality of the guest rooms do not match the high level of service. I don’t think I’d stay here again, even though I did feel very taken care of.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Travel_LadyNYC
Reviewed October 28, 2009

My husband and I spent a wonderful and relaxing time at the One Ocean Resort and loved the service we received. I don't know where the bloggers stayed, that did not enjoy the hotel and services, but we were treated with great respect and royalty. Chaney, was our guest service representative and did a wonderful job handling our reservations and check in. Taylor and Debra were our favorite docents and they truly kept our snack bar filled, did our ironing, mending and handled some office administrative service, as well. We didn't want for anything. The restaurant was great, Gwen was a terrific server and the manager was gracious as well. We are planning a family trip in the future there at One Ocean Resort and actually, I personally think everyone should experience One Ocean Resort, if only for one night. Very enjoyable. Will visit again and will also visit other Remington properties as the Ritz Carlton was one of our favorites. One Ocean Resorts is definately giving them some competition.
Dr. and Dr. Floyd

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Couldn't have asked for better service. Incredible staff and wedding coordinators.

Stayed: October 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Best Western Oceanfront
Best Western Oceanfront
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Mayport Inn & Suites
Mayport Inn & Suites
#2 of 3 in Atlantic Beach

Been to One Ocean Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!