“Personable Staff”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Rhode Island
“Personable Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

I stayed at One Ocean for two weeks during a business trip. I cannot say enough positive things about how accommodating the staff was, especially docents Chip and Taylor.

I was somewhat apprehensive about the "one touch" service, as I knew I would be up early, short on time, and would want to have a cup of coffee while I was getting ready for my day. I expressed this concern to Chip the first day, given the fact that other travelers had written reviews stating that they had to call and then wait for a cup of coffee because there are no coffee makers being in the room; and then when the got it the coffee was cold. Chip rectified this by bringing a high end espresso maker to my room, setting it up and leaving me with enough coffee for a month!

The service was fantastic, whatever I needed, they made sure that it happened. Upon my arrival at my room, Chip greeted me and offered right away to help me unpack. He then took all of my clothes directly from my suit-case and sent them to be pressed. Within several hours I had all of my clothes back and they were wrinkle-free. I didn't have to worry about wrinkled clothes for the entire two weeks!

The bed in the ocean-view room that I stayed in was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in at a hotel; Great mattress and lots of fluffy pillows. The room was immaculate and it was adequately sized, although the bathrooms are extremely small, leaving room for only one person at a time. A big plus for me was that the ocean-view rooms are all no-smoking.

The second week of my stay I moved from an ocean view to an ocean-front room with a balcony. I was disappointed in the condition of this room. The bed was so uncomfortable and the all- feather pillows stunk like smoke, as did the sheets, mattress pad etc... I was not happy, given my allergies to smoke and the belief that the entire property was no smoking, as well as the fact that I was paying out of pocket to upgrade. After moving I found out that they let guests smoke on the balconies of the ocean-front rooms.

I contacted Taylor and asked him to bring me the pillows from my old room. Instead he brought me all brand-new ones! They did a deep cleaning of the room the next day while I was out, and although there were still cigarette ashes ground into the floor of the balcony, the room seemed cleaner, but the sheets still had kind of a funky smell that the sheets in the first room did not have.

Jay, the head of guest services followed up with me the next day and even offered to bring the mattress from my first room to the ocean-front room. I told him it was not necessary, that it seemed the changing of the mattress pad did the trick, but he insisted that it would be no problem if I wanted that to happen. Although the second bed was not as comfortable, it was okay to sleep on.

The customer service and attention to detail is the best that I have ever experienced at a hotel. The bartender, Hugh, greeted me by name each day upon my return and asked me how my day went. All employees that I encountered during the two weeks showed interest in my progress in the class that I was taking, and the staff even bought me a drink to celebrate the passing of my final exam!

I read a lot of complaints online about the $25/day resort fee, but I found it to be worth it for me, considering that each day I left the hotel very early in the AM and did not come back until 6PM. I was able to take with me several bottles of water, soda and all the snacks that I could possibly need. This saved me from having to stop at a grocery store to get water and snacks. My pet peeve with this fee is that it did not include beach chairs and umbrellas at the beach. These were an extra ridiculous charge, and I saw only about 10 available beach chairs. I refused to let them nickel and dime me, so I just layed on towels at the beach instead of a chair.

The major rip-off of this hotel is the parking fee. This would be a joke if I didn’t find it so insulting. Valet parking is mandatory (probably due to many of the high-end vehicles that are always so strategically and obviously parked in front of the hotel, which I found kind of nauseating, especially since my rental was "tucked" in the back of the lot far away from the front doors) and your account is charged $15/day. The parking lot is literally about 10 steps from the front door and this is totally unnecessary. For most of my stay, I parked on the street for free after checking with the local police dept. about over-night parking regulations. It was difficult to find a parking space on the weekends, but during the week it was fine. One Ocean really needs to re-think the mandatory valet parking, especially since each time one gets their car they have to tip the valet. This should be a choice that the hotel offers its guests, not mandatory.

Overall, I would absolutely stay here again, since the property is immaculate and the service is impeccable. As was the case this time, I would refuse to pay $15 to have someone else park my car when I am perfectly capable of doing it myself. For those that find it important that this property is smoke-free; beware because as I found out, it is not completely smoke free. There were 4 women, all smoking right next to me out at the pool. I had to move to get out of their fog of smoke, and also, those that rent ocean-front rooms are allowed to smoke on their balconies, however, if they leave the slider open, the smoke goes into the room and gets into the curtains, bedding etc... If you are allergic and take an ocean-front room, ask the staff to do a deep cleaning of the room before you unpack all of your belongings.

I would suggest this hotel to others for the simple fact that if there is an issue during your stay, and you bring it to the staff's attention, they will go to the ends of the earth to fix the problem. I plan on staying again in February when I go back again for business. Thank you to Jay, Hugh, Chip and Taylor!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank LUVMY2DOGS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

My mother and I stayed at One Ocean in August of 2009 for a quick girls getaway. The first thing you notice when you walk into the One Ocean Resort was the beautiful decor. The tranquil blues, browns, creams and tans provide for a spa like feel. The walls are lined with beautiful and unique artwork including paintings, sculptures and some of the most beautiful waterfall art you will ever see.

The customer service was outstanding. My only complaints were that our room was not ready until a hour after check in, I had to request to have our snacks and sodas replenished in the room and they did not clean the room on one day during our stay.

I did visit the gym , which had state of the art equipment that was great. It was small but adequate. The pool area was great with plenty of lounge chairs to relax.

The best thing about this resort is that you can walk out onto the beach, which was really nice. Since the resort is located in a shopping village, you could walk to locale eateries and mom and pop shops providing convenience.

Overall I think the stay was good. This hotel is definitely a splurge - as the resort fees, along with the rental fees for umbrellas and lounge chairs, the over priced spa services and the very expensive dining you can really spend a few bucks at this resort.

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank MartikaTravels
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2009

I recently booked clients at this hotel and have a written confirmation for an Oceanfront Hotel Room. When the clients arrived they were advised that they had to $80 per night for that room and that the confirmations system at the hotel had only reserved them an Oceanview room. I called to get this resolved and on Friday was told it was taken care of. On Sunday at Check out; they were charged the $160 even though I sent them a copy of their own confirmation. This is called...Bait and Switch so all I can say to those who stay here is get anything from them in writing.

8 Thank TWGeorge
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

From the moment we arrived at the beautifully decorated hotel, we were greeted with friendly and helpful staff. There is a great bar with a fab bartender in the lobby and we had to stop and taste a glass of the best sangria I've ever had. Nice! Then up to the room with a very current and comfortabley decorated room with a view of the ocean. We enjoyed a trip to the spa (which also had ocean views) and were offered a nice juice drink when I arrived and then champagne when I was finished. You HAVE to check out their restaurant ... excellent food - you can see their menu on their site. We ate there two nights. There is a nice pool with ocean views and a tiki bar with a huge patio with ocean views. Next to the hotel were a few streets of little shops and restaurants that were walking distance from each other so it was nice not to have to drive everywhere. I enjoyed my stay so much that I told my husband I'd like to go back with he and the kids (oh, yeah, they have a little daycare at the hotel too).

1 Thank DallasKim
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

My two girlfriends and I had a glamorous yet relaxing Labor Day weekend trip to One Ocean. We treated ourselves to the spa for pampering and dined in high-style at the fabulous Azurea restaurant. The gym was a really good one, so we could work off that dessert sampler we had at dinner the night before! We moms of young children absolutely LOVED being pampered by our "docent", who was really like a butler. Wow! That made the trip for me right there!!! We spent time doing nothing on the beach. And we drove down to St. Augustine for a little history and sightseeing. There are lots of beachy type shops and restaurants right around the hotel. But, we Dallas girls enjoyed glamming it up at the hotel's restaurant and bar too. I highly recommend this hotel and will go there again with my family - they even have a kids club!

Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

What a place - definately spend the extra money for the ocean view room. The pool chairs are large and comfortable - great for napping. You can walk on the beach for miles. The entire staff is awesome. Julie in the sales office made sure our anniversary was a special one. Would go back in a heart beat!!! Warning - bathrooms are small, but the rest of the place is awesome.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlotte,nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

We have stayed at One Ocean due to visits to the Mayo Clinic. Our stay was nothing but uplifting, premier, warm, and an experience we would love to repeat with our sister healthy!
The accomodations are clean, classy and sassy. The hotel staff is positive from the valets upon entry, front desk, resort amenities, pool and views, food and drink.
The owners have spent time developing a resort that is private yet warm and personable and a staff that exudes pride and nobleness-rare commodites in this day and time.
The environment is clean, ocean views, beautiful restful pool settings, and yet a cool situation where you can walk to local restaurants and be at the end of the tourist area.
I highly recommend this hotel and hope your enjoyment and reaction with its delightful staff is enhanced even more than ours was.
I am thankful that there are entreprenuers that inspire their staff, make tough decisions with integrity and help the organization be its best.
Toni Henry

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TloHenry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,409 reviews
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
BEST WESTERN Oceanfront
BEST WESTERN Oceanfront
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach

Been to One Ocean Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!