“Disastrous and Overpriced” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Seattle
“Disastrous and Overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

One Ocean Resort suffers from a myriad of problems, which seem to stem from poor management, but some of them are not easily reconciled with such finger-pointing. Ignoring the poor service, I just want to share the ambiance of the hotel. The whole place is so cramped, the hallways are narrow, the rooms are a mixture of cheap modern with retro seventies garage sale items. The bathrooms are tiny, the hallways smell of mildew mixed with rotting shrimp or something horrendous, and the elevators had mucus rolling down the mirrors. Normally I would say that is a temporary thing, as a hotel can't control its guests, but this streak of slime was there for quite a while. The elevators are also small and smelly. Following in the theme of the whole hotel, the pool was so small it could have been mistaken for the kiddy pool.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank Larryloveswine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Hilton Head Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

Checked in with no preconceived ideas. Smoothest checkin at any hotel ever. We arrived late and had room service the first night. The food was on time, high quality, presented properly, but fairly expensive. All staff were polite and attentive. The pool bar and grill dished out good day food and cool drinks. The beach clean. The hotel is immediately next to the Beach Patrol office. Rooms were decent sized, clean, well maintained. Only negative is that the Shower is strangely narrow; if I stood facing the showerhead directly my shoulders were touching the walls.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank scblaw
florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

I'm giving One Ocean Hotel a 1 star due to disappointment and lack of service in almost every aspect of my stay. First the positives: Hugh at the bar makes some great drinks and the food at the hotel restaurant is good with a nice ambiance, but both the drinks and food are overpriced. I didn't like the resort fee of $25 which from what I could tell included some vending machine snacks and sodas and WiFi. There's also mandatory valet, but no garage or prevention from anyone meandering onto the lot. The rooms are small and my room with an "ocean view" also had a view of a rooftop and neighboring motel. My biggest issue was that the staff as a whole seemed to be going through the motions. So overall I have to say my stay was not enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank jollytimes489
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

We were in Jacksonville for several days over the weekend for a high school reunion. We were given a couple of options as to places to stay and chose One Ocean. Having stayed at a number of hotels from business to luxury we were very pleased with the facility and the location. We had stayed at One Ocean prior to the renovation when it was the Sea Turtle - it was fine but needed to be updated and man did they do a wonderful job. We did not have an ocean front room but we still had a nice view down the beach.

While we were there we hit the beach, pool, and I got a massage in the spa. The pool is small and there are not a lot of chairs to be had especailly when small children were each camped out on one. There is an area down towards the restuarant to sit but this is mainly for outside dining. We ordered chairs one day for the beach - $50 which included an umbrella and we were brought water as needed. This was a treat but the hotel was full over the weekend so we had to sit in the sand. As we had flown in there was no point of buying chairs we would have to leave behind. If you are driving bring chairs and or beach towels. You need to get to the pool and beach early to get chairs.

When we arrived we were told that coffee and pastries would be available each morning in the lobby bar. My husband was disappointed more then once to see that this was not the case. Several of us stood around waiting for a girl to go and get pastries. We only saw them one morning and one morning there was no coffee. If you state that these services are offered you should be consistent. The lobby bar later is tended by Hugh and he is a great bar tender - very personable and makes great martinis.

Someone mentioned the resort fee - this is $25 and includes wifi, drinks in the frig, snacks, etc. The parking fee of $15 is above and beyond the resort fee. Sometimes we would call down and our car would be ready other times we had to wait up to 10 minutes or so. We didn't take the car one time when we tried to find a place for breakfast less expensive then the hotel. We had to walk a ways but could not handle the heat. One of the staff was thougthful and brought some wet cold towels to help me recover which was thoughtful and I am sure was covered uinder the fee.

The staff is good and can be great with a touch more work. Everyone was friendly and nice. We will definitely return as the hotel over all is lovely and the location is great.

florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

I spent the weekend at One Ocean Resort with my girlfriend as a romantic getaway. While the ambiece and decor was very nice and contemporary, more of a south beach style, it was very expensive for the area. Because I travel a lot, I usualy stay at Hampton Inns. It's essentially a Hampton Inn with an upscale lobby, spa, restaurant and bar. Some art is displayed throughout. The room was the same size or smaller than what you would find at a Hampton Inn half the price. The only noticeable difference, though, is that the furnishings and fixtures are a bit more elegant. The cheapest room, Ocean View without a balcony, cost me about $250 (room, all taxes, resort fee, and valet). I was disappointed that the hotel did not allow me to park my vehicle in the hotel parking lot. I can understand if parking was very tight and/or awkward but with the layout, there is no need to have valet park the vehicle for the guest, especially at $15 plus tip. One more issue I should mention is that I feel that the $25 resort fee is unecessary. I believe that some hotels add this to the bill simply because they can and the guest receives no additional benefit. It should really be part of the room cost. Other hotels on the beach do this but hotels has a choice to not charge the resort fee. It's not like the 13% tax that hotels must charge by law.

Overall, it's a nice hotel but would not recommend it to the cost conscientious traveller. In all fairness to the hotel, I recognize that this hotel is probably not recommended for the cost-conscientious traveller. While the service was good, it was nothing more than what one finds at a business-class hotel with courteous staff. And I have found most staff at respectable chain hotels are helpful and courteous.

As far as the final recommendation is concerned, if asked if I would recommend this hotel to a friend, because I can only pick one, I am going to say no. However, I would still recommend this hotel to someone for whom cost is not a concern. Afterall, I have nothing bad to say about my experience here other than the issue with the valet and the higher-than-expected cost of our stay.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank mightyoak11111
Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2009

We have returned to One Ocean four times over the last year for a nearby get away and, with one exception, have been wonderfully pleased with the resort, staff, restaurant, pool, spa and beach. (The one 'incident' really wasn't the fault of the hotel, but an obnoxious guest.) We visited most recently for just one night, but the service was most professional.
We were whisked to our room without having to bother checking in. Within minutes, our 'personal concierge', Alexandria, appeared to welcome us and see if there was anything we needed. The room was amply stocked with sodas, water and snacks, so we were set for the time being. (The resort charges a daily fee to cover wifi, minibar, snacks, and valet parking, so you don't feel nickel and dimed to death.)
The linens on the bed are some of the finest I have ever slept on, as is the 'dream machine' that mimics ocean waves as you fall to sleep. The colors reflect the spa-like quality of the hotel.
The spa has wonderfully professional staff that give therapeutic massages that will de-stress even the most manic person! Manicures and pedicures are done 'just right', too.
The bar and restaurant area are inviting, open and immaculately clean. Food can be served in the bar area, where mini-meals or full meals can be eaten, on the terrace outside, or in the restaurant.
Each ocean front room has a balcony with chairs for enjoying the changing rhythm of the deep blue sea. A heated pool is available on the ground floor as is a fully equipped gym. Chaise lounges can be placed on the beach by the helpful staff for further enjoyment and relaxation.
We are looking forward to returning with a few of our friends later in August and anticipate another relaxing, pampering weekend at the Ocean One which has been amazingly transformed from the old, worn-out Sea Turtle Inn on Atlantic Beach to one of the classiest, most pampering resorts on any beach.

Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2009

My family had an exceptional experience at the One Ocean hotel. The staff was very friendly and made you feel right at home. Location was wonderful as most activities one would want were in walking distance. Rooms were adequate, bathrooms were small as previously notated, but they were clean and the furnishings were top notch. Great place to travel with a child. Beach and pool area was very clean and not overly crowded. My wife loved the spa and was very happy with the service she recieved there. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,377 reviews
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard Jacksonville Beach Oce...
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
BEST WESTERN Oceanfront
BEST WESTERN Oceanfront
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to One Ocean Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!