“2nd visit to One Ocean Resort...still top shelf”

One Ocean Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Just returned from our second visit to One Ocean Resort. Spent a week in Florida with the final two days at One Ocean to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary on August 24th. And it was exceptional.

I did a review about a year ago about our first visit. I noted it's great location, it's terrific decor, the wonderful restaurant experience and it's fine staff. I am happy to say the Azurea restaurant is still excellent and the staff is still as friendly and gracious as ever.

Our stay was not flawless...but like any fine hotel when a problem arises it's fixed immediately. We booked a corner ocean front room with a balcony. Just after check-in I noticed a puddle of water under the toilet tank. Engineering was at the door in two minutes to fix it , which we thought he did. Unfortunately a short time later the drip returned. Docent services rushed up and moved us across the floor to the other corner room. When we returned from dinned their was a bottle of champagne chilling with a card expressing their regrets for our inconvenience. Very nice touch.

Our anniversary dinner was out of this world. Being off season the restaurant was not very busy. Way too slow to have the executive chef bother with on a Wednesday night. I'm not sure who did cook the meals...but...between the "amuse bouche", the bread selection with various dipping sauces, appetizers, entrees (my wife's tennis ball sized divers scallops were cooked perfectly) and a mac & cheese side dish you'd request as your last meal if you were on death-row....it was an outstanding anniversary dinner. Many thanks.

Finally, a few words about the staff. I'm in sales and I know a thing or two about customer service. I can say with certainty that you can't teach or make employees care about customers. You make sure to hire the right people. Management at One Ocean Resort should be very proud of their staff. You absolutely feel welcome at this hotel. Bellman, housekeeping, engineering, docent services, the pool attendent... everyone smiles and asks you if you are enjoying your stay.

We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for One Ocean Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 26, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the One Ocean from from Aug. 19 thru Aug. 21, 2011. I have to say that the hotel is wonderful. The the service you receive is fabulous, the Spa is great, and I felt like a queen because it seemed like they couldn't do enough for me. The location of the hotel is fantastic as it's right on the beach, and across the street there are restaurants & shops. The only drawbacks to the hotel are: not enough lounge chairs by the pool, although the ones they have are extremely comfortable, 2--The pool doesn't get a lot of sun later in the day, but that can be an upside too because after being on the beautiful, sunny beach all day, it may feel good to get out of the sun for a while; 3--They charge you $25.00 a day for each lounge chair on the beach. If you want an umbrella, you have to pay for that too. All in all, my mini-vacation was a very relaxing experience. Another point is, if you like to go dancing, and are older than 30, this area doesn't provide a venue for that. My friend and I wanted to go dancing, but soon found out all the places catered to the under 30 crowd.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sexyeyes47
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed at the One Ocean Resort in Atlantic Beach Fl. It was the best place I have ever been to. The accomadations were absoultely great. We found no one that evidently didn't like their job cause everyone was so nice and helpful. I can't say enough about the place and the people who ran the place. Hope I get the opportunity to go back to Jacksonville cause I will definitly stay there again.

THANKS TO THE STAFF OF THE ONE OCEAN RESORT IN JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Wow. Too many good things to say. Lovely place. The beach is beautiful (thanks to Kobe for being so attentive!). The surrounding area has many restaurants/bars/boutiques. Although this was a beach/relaxation vacation, Sawgrass is just down the road and I've been told there are a number of other golf courses close by. But perhaps my favorite thing was the staff! Special kudos to Adrian (the hostess) and the waiters/waitresses Amy, Alexis and Greg. I don't think I ever heard the words "we don't/can't do that". I didn't get to meet the manager, but he must be awesome to attract so many good people. I will definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JeanAlspaugh
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Family was going to Jacksonville for the weekend so we used Hotwire to find a place on the beach. We got One Ocean and it was a bit higher end than we would have preferred in that we were traveling with a 9 and 13 year old. Everyone was exceedingly nice and helpful but it was difficult for us to feel relaxed in such posh accommodations with the kids.
Beach was nice, pool was less than expected for such a nice place as they didn't have any overhangs near the pool to get out of the sun or rain.
Despite it being perfectly nice, we probably would not return, but that is mostly because of our family style of travel. I would recommend this hotel to travelers with older or no kids.

Room Tip: Used Hotwire but the AAA rates were cheaper
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We recently stayed at the One Ocean Resort in Atlantic Beach and have never experienced better service!! We went for a weekend at the beach and had a wonderful time. The docent service is impeccable and Christina was there anytime we made a request. I even saw a docent carrying ironing to do for a guest! When I asked or dinner reservations, she brought several menu's to me and then made the reservations! The pool and beach fellows were always there to set up chairs, take your order and basically make sure everything is perfect for you. Boy, do they work hard out in the sun all day?

The breakfast was a bit expensive, but worth every penny! We love the location and will return as soon as we can!

Room Tip: We liked the rooms with a balcony the best!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We've had a good couple of trips to OneOcean. It's very conveniently located in Atlantic Beach, Jacksonville. The section of beach it's on is very nice.
We decided to get a luxury room - facing the ocean with a balcony. We'd done it last time when we visited, and it was worth it. This time, however the room we had smelled of smoke. Someone had evidently been smoking cigarettes in our room. We phoned down when we first checked in - asking to move, but they told us they had no other balcony rooms. They said we could move, but didn't offer us a discount. Someone from room service came up and sprayed the room with Lysol. We let it settle, but it still stank the next day. We told them the Lysol didn't work, but they came up and did the same again. Not good.
The cocktails from the bar downstairs are very good. I'd recommend the El Pero. They make a good Manhattan, too. The staff are very attentive, and there was unlimited, free diet coke, water and snacks in the room. That was very good! The bathrooms were kinda small, but I wasn't too bothered by that.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank mjlcatlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Best Western Oceanfront
Best Western Oceanfront
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach

Been to One Ocean Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!