“Worth the extra fees”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Houston
“Worth the extra fees”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Watch out for the resort fee and the valet cost, they add $$ to your stay and aren't discounted like the room is by having AAA.

We were too late for a balcony room, but the view from the 8th floor side room was awesome

Towels were a 9/10.

100% recommended overall.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Awesome, Awesome Awesome !! My friend and I (Jax residents) wanting a short relaxing weekend and One Ocean was just the answer. Of note…Staff exceptional. 8th Floor Balcony-Ocean Front, double beds had PLENTY of room around beds and accompanying furniture. Bathroom was small, but how long are you really in there? Plenty of vanity space around upscale sink. Backlit mirror (very cool). Shower width was maybe 2ft w/8" seat, w/floor to ceiling glass shower door (no tub), two shower heads were a pleasure, plenty of pressure. Beds were very comfortable. Balcony was my favorite – two comfy chairs w/cushions and a sm 12" round wicker table for AM Coffee….or evening drinks while watching the water and sunset. Yes chairs for the beach were $17.00 for 4 hrs., plenty of chairs available w/or w/out cushions, they brought you as many towels as wanted and checked on us each hour of our 4 hr stay. We did bring water (from the Rm fridge). Walkway back to pool/hotel was clean and showerhead for full body or lower shower for feet rinsing after leisure walk on the beach after dinner. Also beach lifeguard station and chair very close to hotel. Coffee or Ice was brought up ASAP - really not an issue not having it in the room. We did bring our own snacks b/c I did read that their snacks were small portions and they were small (ie Milano cookies =2mini size). Bar area did have glasses for use, not plastic or paper cups. Ice Bucket with tongs. Nice size fridge. like one you would see in an ourside kitchen BBQ area.Also, Safe in room was in dresser drawer decent size. Robes in closet for use. Bath towels were good size and quality, not scratchy. I would call down to have them bring my vehicle around so it was there each time I went down and did not have to wait in the heat. Photos helped me when I was reading the reviews, so I've attached my own photos as well. Book this hotel, you won’t be sorry..Make sure you get "Ocean Front w/Balcony" akamissy

Room Tip: Ocean front with walk out balcony, top floor (8th) or above 5th floor at least.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2011

This place is very nice and could be amazing... IF ONLY management paid attention to details. In all fairness we stayed at a Ritz the weekend prior, so I maybe skewed a bit in terms of expectations. Hubby was there for business, and our 13 month old and I tagged along for some vacay. Very nice place, nice pool (small, but nice), beach is right outside, so that's very convenient. People are super nice (special shout out here to Nicole and Sheila for going out of your way for me and the baby), food was GREAT. Lots of convenient stuff around, two restaurants literally across the street, and another Italian place nearby. Had the best pizza ever there. Spa is awesome - I mean quite grand. Had a facial that rocked.

BUT... be prepared for VERY thin walls (it was as if the hallyway was in our room) and cleaning folks who like to yell. Bathrooms SO SMALL you could literally get hurt trying to turn around in them (I did). They are smaller than bathrooms in NYC hotels - now that's SMALL. They don't clean the rooms very well and replace things as they should (bathroom shower door never looked clean and I had to ask the front desk for soap). Gym is very nice and was great until a roach the size of my thumb tried to work in with me. A nice guy who worked there helped me kill it and I told the manager who gave me the "shock and awe" response and apologized. Hopefully they will exterminate better.

If they only paid more attention to the little things, and MUST have bigger bathrooms. I mean, these suckers are dangerously small. Still, if you are in this area, I imagine it's likely the best hotel there.

But folks, let's be clear. This is NO RITZ and it's really NOT a resort, it's a nice hotel. Manage your expectations accordingly and you'll enjoy. Just pay up a bit and get a larger room with an ocean view and bigger bathroom. Trust me... worth every dime.

Be advised... enjoy!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Valdosta
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We opted to stay here rather than go the Ritz Carlton just up the road over July 4th. The staff was very nice. The food was top shelf-as good as any 5 star we have experienced. The pool was about the size you would expect to find at a Hampton or Holiday Inn. The room was small, very small. Beach Chairs $25, and were sold out by 8am. The public beach out front was very crowded.

Overall, it was an ok stay, however we would not classify this with our stays at Ritz or Four Seasons properties. For the same money, the Ritz at Amelia would have been a better bet.

If your in the area, make a dinner reservation- The food is really terrific

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 803millpond
orlando
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I had heard reviews that said it was a great place to stay so my boyfriend and I booked a night for our two year anniversary. First of all, the resort is absolutely gorgeous. The rooms and facility is really beautiful. The bed was super comfy too. Although the resort is pricey, we defintely got our money's worth. We drank plenty of the water and ate almost all the snacks offered for free in the room. We also made use of the docent services to steam press our clothes. When all is said and done I'm sure we would have spent well more than $25 (the added resort fee) to buy all the snacks and water. Also, when I booked the room everyone was very helpful and accomodating. I loved love loved staying here and One Ocean really made for a memorable anniversary.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank auntelle
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed June 18, 2011

This resort, formerly the sea turtle inn, is in prime location on Atlantic beach on the border of Neptune beach. All employees bend over backwards to assure that you are completely satisfied. Would stay here again. Downsides include a small pool, lack of pay per view movies, requirement to valet your car. Additionally their beautiful bar area closed at 9 pm on a Friday night because of lack of interest, which confused me as it's an upscale establishment.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
SAVANNAH
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here for 5 days, my husband called ahead about rooms available for the business conference and views, because I was going with him and he knew I would be spending more time in the room. He was told the rooms booked had lovely side views of the beach looking north or south down the beach. Beach facing rooms are available but over 200.00 a night I believe. The room we were given was nicely decorated, nice bathroom. The room itself had a king bed , one nightstand, that was all that would fit.That was the width of the room. It had a slim desk at the end of bed with desk chair to the side of it. Too narrow to walk through with chair up to desk. It had a built in narrow closet with a vanity attached on the wall without a night stand, in that vanity was a small frig. We were told all the water and cokes had been removed and frig turned off because we weren't paying daily fee of 25.00 for that service. Curtains were drawn, so we opened them thinking to look at the beach. What we looked out on was awful. It was the flat roof, of part of the facility, with many huge rusting airconditioner units stretching out about 3-400 ft. the width of the hotel. You could not see the beach, just a slight view of the water . This room had long windows about as wide as a sliding door, with a 3-4 ft metal rail outside , like it was a fake balcony, windows didn't open. This was my view for 5 days. I get claustrophobic in small places and this room really pushed it. There was no option for doing for your self. No ice machines, not soda or water machines, no coffee makers in the room. If you wanted water, ice, soda or coffee or anything else you had to call room service and have them delivered to your room. Of course you paid top money for the item and delivery. We have stayed in Ritz Carlton resorts , which are hands down so much nicer, but they give you the choice. You have a stocked frig and they talley what you choose to use or not use. They have coffeemakers in rooms so if you choose to roll over and have coffee you can, no getting up and dressed or presentable, no intrusions. They also had icemakers and machines in a room on each floor. this hotel DID NOT OFFER THIS. I had a bit of a flood in the bathroom shower, as the shower head kept falling down against the wall. There was no lip around the shower floor, it was just slightly slanted inward. When I got out the shower my over night bag was sitting in water all the way across the room. There was about an ich or more of water on the floor. I called for them to send up a mop and someone to fix the shower head. It took and hour and a second call, I told them I would just use all the towels if they weren't going to send a mop up. But they would need to bring more towels for our use. They sent a man up, and he had a arm full of towels that he used to mop it all up. He then left and came back to fix the shower. He was polite and nice and worked as quick as he could. But an hour, I think that was excessive when you tell them the bath room has over an inch of water on the floor.
My over Second big complaint was their mandatory valet parking, which was a joke. You pulled under the covered area in front and directly in front of that was the parking lot. Each time you went back and forth you had to have them get your car and them park it. You felt rushed and had to give them your keys so if you wanted to run to the car, you had to go through that whole process. I could understand the valet and have used it where the parking is underground or in a large parking garage. This was not the case, it was 20-30 ft away. Each time again you felt you had to tip the young men getting your car, sometimes it was 3 times aday. They said you could park off the property yourself but that was very iffy.
Third: There is a very lovely spa and pool and a walk way to the beach. They have nice wooded loungers on the beach all lined up in a row, already on the beach mind you. Now if you would like to use them, whether it is for an hour or all day. You have to pay the fee. 17.00 for half day and 35.00 for whole day. Then if you want to use one of their umbrellas ( now you remember you are a paying guest at this hotel) you will have to pay 15.00 for the use of that umbrella. You would need multiples of these loungers and umbrellas depending on your party size. There were 2 of us, but the family beside us had 4 adults and 2 children so that added up real quick. They were very nice people but not happy with all the charges for everything. Did I mention there is a 15.00 a day valet parking fee, plus your tipping each time its parked or you ask to have it. This room that we had, was on the second floor facing south. It is not in any of the pictures offered on the site, and it had no place to sit and relax or read, except the bed. There was not a bedside table on my side, or lamp as my husband has a breathing machine and needed the bedside table. If I had needed to use one also we would have been up the creek.
When we checked in and saw the room we were very disappointed. ( in the car my husband was worrying that the room would be nice and I laughingly said , " well unless it faces a brick wall or a roof I'll be just fine") we requested another room and was cheerfully told they would immediately let the front desk know, after about 30 minutes we called, nothing yet and after an hour my husband went down, and again was told they were checking and would let us know. After we finally got tired of waiting and went to dinner and checked on our way up to bed , we were told that was impossible,yet they were checking people in who did not have reservations. EVERYONE was very nice, overly so to the point that you realzed they were giving "pat answers from training". It was like a decent hotel ,playing at being something more by charging for things that should be standard. When we evacauated from Florida during a hurricane, we ended up in Columbus, Ga at a Motel 6. This is the honest truth, our room had two double beds and a night stand in between them, you could barely move they fit so tightly in the room. Our room at Ocean One was the same size room, exactly as wide as a King bed and night stand, with barely room to walk on the other side of bed. We even had a better view as the front window looked over the park on the other side of the parking lot at the Motel 6. It cost around 40.00, and we were very glad to have it, as there was nothing available anywhere. But its price went with what was offered.
We feel Ocean One was pretentious in its offerings and service. Bring it down a notch. Give your customers some options, make their stay what they want, not the image of what you want. We would not stay there again. We would go somewhere that the service would be what we want and how we want it. There you had no choice.

Room Tip: Don't stay on 2-5 or 6th floor looking south,
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank fuzzyruz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
BEST WESTERN Oceanfront
BEST WESTERN Oceanfront
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to One Ocean Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!