“Alot of decor and underlying cost”

One Ocean Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
SAVANNAH
“Alot of decor and underlying cost”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here for 5 days, my husband called ahead about rooms available for the business conference and views, because I was going with him and he knew I would be spending more time in the room. He was told the rooms booked had lovely side views of the beach looking north or south down the beach. Beach facing rooms are available but over 200.00 a night I believe. The room we were given was nicely decorated, nice bathroom. The room itself had a king bed , one nightstand, that was all that would fit.That was the width of the room. It had a slim desk at the end of bed with desk chair to the side of it. Too narrow to walk through with chair up to desk. It had a built in narrow closet with a vanity attached on the wall without a night stand, in that vanity was a small frig. We were told all the water and cokes had been removed and frig turned off because we weren't paying daily fee of 25.00 for that service. Curtains were drawn, so we opened them thinking to look at the beach. What we looked out on was awful. It was the flat roof, of part of the facility, with many huge rusting airconditioner units stretching out about 3-400 ft. the width of the hotel. You could not see the beach, just a slight view of the water . This room had long windows about as wide as a sliding door, with a 3-4 ft metal rail outside , like it was a fake balcony, windows didn't open. This was my view for 5 days. I get claustrophobic in small places and this room really pushed it. There was no option for doing for your self. No ice machines, not soda or water machines, no coffee makers in the room. If you wanted water, ice, soda or coffee or anything else you had to call room service and have them delivered to your room. Of course you paid top money for the item and delivery. We have stayed in Ritz Carlton resorts , which are hands down so much nicer, but they give you the choice. You have a stocked frig and they talley what you choose to use or not use. They have coffeemakers in rooms so if you choose to roll over and have coffee you can, no getting up and dressed or presentable, no intrusions. They also had icemakers and machines in a room on each floor. this hotel DID NOT OFFER THIS. I had a bit of a flood in the bathroom shower, as the shower head kept falling down against the wall. There was no lip around the shower floor, it was just slightly slanted inward. When I got out the shower my over night bag was sitting in water all the way across the room. There was about an ich or more of water on the floor. I called for them to send up a mop and someone to fix the shower head. It took and hour and a second call, I told them I would just use all the towels if they weren't going to send a mop up. But they would need to bring more towels for our use. They sent a man up, and he had a arm full of towels that he used to mop it all up. He then left and came back to fix the shower. He was polite and nice and worked as quick as he could. But an hour, I think that was excessive when you tell them the bath room has over an inch of water on the floor.
My over Second big complaint was their mandatory valet parking, which was a joke. You pulled under the covered area in front and directly in front of that was the parking lot. Each time you went back and forth you had to have them get your car and them park it. You felt rushed and had to give them your keys so if you wanted to run to the car, you had to go through that whole process. I could understand the valet and have used it where the parking is underground or in a large parking garage. This was not the case, it was 20-30 ft away. Each time again you felt you had to tip the young men getting your car, sometimes it was 3 times aday. They said you could park off the property yourself but that was very iffy.
Third: There is a very lovely spa and pool and a walk way to the beach. They have nice wooded loungers on the beach all lined up in a row, already on the beach mind you. Now if you would like to use them, whether it is for an hour or all day. You have to pay the fee. 17.00 for half day and 35.00 for whole day. Then if you want to use one of their umbrellas ( now you remember you are a paying guest at this hotel) you will have to pay 15.00 for the use of that umbrella. You would need multiples of these loungers and umbrellas depending on your party size. There were 2 of us, but the family beside us had 4 adults and 2 children so that added up real quick. They were very nice people but not happy with all the charges for everything. Did I mention there is a 15.00 a day valet parking fee, plus your tipping each time its parked or you ask to have it. This room that we had, was on the second floor facing south. It is not in any of the pictures offered on the site, and it had no place to sit and relax or read, except the bed. There was not a bedside table on my side, or lamp as my husband has a breathing machine and needed the bedside table. If I had needed to use one also we would have been up the creek.
When we checked in and saw the room we were very disappointed. ( in the car my husband was worrying that the room would be nice and I laughingly said , " well unless it faces a brick wall or a roof I'll be just fine") we requested another room and was cheerfully told they would immediately let the front desk know, after about 30 minutes we called, nothing yet and after an hour my husband went down, and again was told they were checking and would let us know. After we finally got tired of waiting and went to dinner and checked on our way up to bed , we were told that was impossible,yet they were checking people in who did not have reservations. EVERYONE was very nice, overly so to the point that you realzed they were giving "pat answers from training". It was like a decent hotel ,playing at being something more by charging for things that should be standard. When we evacauated from Florida during a hurricane, we ended up in Columbus, Ga at a Motel 6. This is the honest truth, our room had two double beds and a night stand in between them, you could barely move they fit so tightly in the room. Our room at Ocean One was the same size room, exactly as wide as a King bed and night stand, with barely room to walk on the other side of bed. We even had a better view as the front window looked over the park on the other side of the parking lot at the Motel 6. It cost around 40.00, and we were very glad to have it, as there was nothing available anywhere. But its price went with what was offered.
We feel Ocean One was pretentious in its offerings and service. Bring it down a notch. Give your customers some options, make their stay what they want, not the image of what you want. We would not stay there again. We would go somewhere that the service would be what we want and how we want it. There you had no choice.

Room Tip: Don't stay on 2-5 or 6th floor looking south,
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank fuzzyruz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Never having stayed here before.. I had no idea what to expect. I thought the hotel was beautiful ( bathrooms a little small) the location on Jacksonville beach was optimal...and the customer service rivalled that of any hotel I've stayed. They truly made it an enjoyable experience... I would reccomend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2011

We had a beach weeding directly behind the resort and then stayed 2 nights at the hotel. The hotel itself is BREATHTAKING! Every aspect of the resort beautiful and you can tell that alot of thought and detail went into making it as "guest friendly" as possible. We enjoyed the awesome service and attentiveness that the staff gave us. Not to mention that the pool and patio area was great and so peaceful at night. If you're thinking about staying there, you will not be disappointed at all!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed for a weekend at the One Ocean Resort. The staff were very friendly and the service was wonderful. There are plenty of good restaurants, shops, and bars within walking distance of the hotel. We look forward to a return visit very soon!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed June 7, 2011

My stay here could not have been more perfect..It was like staying at a Four Seasons Property... The Service - Exceeded my expectations. Location: On the beach yet near to everything. Staff : Super friendly, charming sincere and professional..
This is best place to stay in the Jacksonville area,,, The was never crowded.. Lay back community and nice restaurants in and around the hotel.. This is winner.. If you stay you wont be disappointed..You have one of the best hotel stays ever..

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Lawrenceville
Reviewed June 6, 2011

In July of 2010, we visited Jacksonville Beach's One Ocean. The stay was expensive but nice. However, the morning we checked out, the valet drove our car around to the front and hit a man and his child as they were crossing the drive. EMT's and police arrived. The pedestrians were badly shaken up but not transported. My vehicle's windshield was smashed and there was a dent in the hood. The valet was arrested for not having a valid driver's license. This was a very traumatic time as our first concern were the individuals who were hit. We drove back to Atlanta with a smashed windshield and I spent the next week and a half dealing with insurance companies, police reports, rental cars, and a body shop. The Regional Vice President, was very apologetic and assured me that if I came back, he'd "take care of the stay." So, I called back to take him up on his offer. This guy offered me a rate 20 dollars higher than the online rates that are quoted and the last night free. Not really a deal considering I'd be responsible for the 85 dollar resort fee, taxes, etc. In the end, an ok stay with terrible customer relations.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank davwilljones
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Rooms are small and all are the same size. Bathrooms are tiny ~ 2 people cannot use at same time. The staff, particularly the docents, are marvelous and at your beckoned call. Restaurant Azurea is great and Chef Nate is superb. His tasting menu was one of the best we have ever had. The only drawback is they did not have enough sun umbrellas at the pool or around the patio outside the restaurant. They said they were on order but had not arrived. Why not go to one the large stores and buy a dozen umbrellas so that your guests can sit outside and enjoy the great weather. There is a charge of $35.00 for beach chairs for a bull day, $17.50 for half day and and $15.00 for an umbrellas ~ I don't think they should charge.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Best Western Oceanfront
Best Western Oceanfront
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to One Ocean Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!