“Great day!”
Review of Fossil Expeditions

Fossil Expeditions
Ranked #3 of 8 Tours in Arcadia
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We took my 7 year old on this trip because he loves sharks teeth and fossils. We all had a great time! Mark is very knowledgable and friendly. The creek helped keep us cool even though it's a hot July in Florida. We found over 60 smaller sharks teeth (1 inch and less) and many other interesting fossils (alligator teeth, turtle shells, bones, puffer fish plates, horse teeth). We didn't get a megladon, mako, or white shark tooth, but there is always next time! My son decided that he doesn't want a birthday party and wants to do this instead, so we may be back sooner than we thought.

2  Thank CaptainGregSL

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We got rained out last year, so the family was looking forward to hunting fossils with Mark Renz on this year's vacation to Florida. It did not disappoint. We had a great time digging and sifting on the walk in tour. We were close to our car, so when my 8 year old got cold, she went back to the car while my son and I kept digging. Mark is great with kids (and adults) and quickly identified all the fossils we found such as sharks teeth, mammoth teeth, dolphin ear bones, alligator teeth, turtle parts, misc bone. My son was most excited about a baby megalodon tooth. My whole family really enjoyed the half day we spent with Mark, and recommend it to all.

4  Thank John F
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Today was our second time with Mark from Fossil Expeditions. My kids which are 10 and 12 years old my wife and myself really enjoyed the hunt for fossils. We did the Kayak tour this time whereas we did the walk-in back in 2012. My older son wished to do it again and he was absolutely right. Mark is so passionate and knowledged that he made the trip again an experience which we will never forget... thanks a lot Mark and Marisa. Mark did explain a lot about the fossils which we found Shark teeths, bones from various animals like turtles, impressions from shells,...
Again Mark, dankeschön!!!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I can't tell you how much fun we had. My 6 year old is really into rocks and fossils, but until about 6 months ago any old rock would do. Then I took him to the local gem and mineral show and he was exactly what was out there to discover. When I saw this I thought it would be perfect to nurture his budding interest. I was sure he would be searching through the screens as fast as I could shovel. It turned out that he was more interested in scooping up dirt. He did find a few things in the shallower water that he could reach and he had a blast. When the time came to leave neither of really wanted to. I should say that the day flew by so fast as we scooped and searched. Mark was wonderful. He told us stories about the area and the fossils we were finding. Pointed out wildlife and bird calls. We laughed a lot. Found some fossils that are very cool and a bunch that I'm sure most experienced fossil hunters would have left behind as they were so abundant that they likely have little material value unless they were larger pieces. Dugong bone fragments were in pretty much every scoop. Sharks teeth were also a frequent find. Most of the 40+ we found were from lemon sharks, but there were some others scattered in there. The megalodon teeth were elusive, but we had chosen a spot where they would not be the main focus since I didn't want this hunt to be only about them. We left with one that was missing the top (root) but was still a very nice piece for making a necklace. We also found a beautiful Glyptodont scoot (those were the giant armadillo like creatures) that has a lot of detail. I've looked at some online and ours is as nice as the best ones I've seen. Several nice pieces of both tortoise and turtle shell. We had some tusk fragments and a nice piece of Mammoth tooth that was enough that I could recognize it even though I'd only seen a few pictures and the much larger whole one, that Mark showed us before we went hunting. The river was beautiful and the walk in was short but nice. We went on a sunny January morning and although the water was a little cool (to be expected) once we were in we didn't feel cold at all. The excitement of searching for long ago treasures that were trapped in the mud and rocks likely helped with that. I really can't say enough good things about this. If you want to get off the beaten path and do something unique this is an awesome choice.

4  Thank AngelSeeker
Reviewed June 30, 2013

A rock and fossil enthusiast I thought this would be a great outing for my 4 friends, 2 of them visitors from overseas, and indeed the 5 of us had a great time. We certainly did not see the time pass. There had been rains for several days before our visit and the water level was high, which precluded us from seeing or reaching the bottom of the stream easily, making it a bit complicated (and perhaps all the more fun) to find the gravel areas and shovel up the material. We did not find anything huge, no megalodon teeth, but we found nice shark teeth, turtle shell pieces, the palates of some little fish and also stingrays, lots of bone fragments, and an alligator tooth. None of us saw the time pass. All of us had a great time. Mark shared his paleontological knowledge, explaining the changing sea and landscape, sea and land creatures' habits, clarifying for us why we were finding such a jumble of fossil. All in all, a wonderful day.

4  Thank Chris-From-MD