“The worse I've had and it used to be good”

168 Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 114 Restaurants in Apopka
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Orlando, Florida
“The worse I've had and it used to be good”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I just returned from the most awful chinese food I've ever had. We had tried this restaurant twice before and thought it was quite good. Well, not any more. It's hard to find a non-chain restaurant in the Orlando area so we try locals as much as possible. I have been a fair and faithful reviewer on TA for years.

First, the fried noodles they served as munchies were not only stale, they tasted like rancid oil. How much trouble is it to fry up some won ton strips? The egg drop soup was very good, though. I ordered the sesame chicken which was a thick goo more syrup-like than anything else. It was hard to find the chicken because there was so much thick batter on it. They were hard, dry and caked in hard dough. Within 10 mninutes, my steak knife - yes, they gave me a steak knife for my dinner before I even started eating - would no longer cut through it. My husband ordered the Imperial Combo which was supposed to have filet mignon but had tough, over cooked skirt steak instead. This sauce, although brown, was the same sickening sweet goo the chicken was serve in. It was surrounded by unflavored, overcooked broccoli and that's it. No garnish, no flavor, except for syrup. BOTH of these dishes were on their specialty menu, too!

I love chinese food. This was awful. And the worse part is our waiter didn't care. He didn't care one bit that we were unhappy with our meal. And that is a sign of a restaurant gone bad. The food is expensive and in Apopka for goodness sake. It's definitely NOT worth the drive from anyplace. If you've been there before, rethink this restaurant.

• Visited August 2011

“Great Chinese Food”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Researched multiple Chinese restaurants. Took a chance on this based upon other reviews. Food was great. So was service. Will come back again next time we visit Orlando....

Apopka, FL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quiet dinner with my wife was wonderful”
Reviewed October 30, 2010

The service was wonderful. Anytime I needed something they were already there. The food was great, I got sweet and sour chicken. The portions were generous. I eat alot and I took half of mine home and enjoyed it again the next day.

1 Thank mrkevinwright
Orlando
“168 is a haven of good eating.”
Reviewed January 5, 2009

A study done recently showed that Central Floridians dine out more than people in any other metro area. We believe it, and also have observed that we could dine out at a different restaurant near us every night of the and not cover them all. That having been said, 168 is a restaurant to which we return often. The decor is subdued and relaxing, the service is friendly and subtle and the food--well! Delicious, plentiful and reasonably priced. We love the egg drop soup and their cashew chicken is also a favorite with our family. Tucked into a strip of shops along 436, 168 is a haven of good eating.

1 Thank FloridaWanderers
Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely the Best!”
Reviewed December 21, 2008

We have been faithful 168 customers for over eight years now. It has never been a disappointment. Service is great, and the food is absolutely delicious.

1 Thank CarlitosFlorida