“Great for family and group poutings”

Wekiwa Springs State Park
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Apopka
More attraction details
Owner description: This 7,000-acre area containing diverse plants and wildlife is also popular for swimming, canoeing, hiking and camping.
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Canoes available. Great for picnics. Spring water cold, but great! Make sure you bring food, no restarurants are in the park.

There are newer reviews for Wekiwa Springs State Park

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I had a rental car while in Orlando and wanted some place to hike about 5 miles for some exercise. I am so glad I found this state park online! It took me about 35 minutes to get there from my convention center area hotel. It only cost me $5.00 to get in.

The trail options are fantastic. I found the 5-mile "orange" trail to be a perfect hike--easy to do with interesting geographical features to check-out.

The spring water area is a major bonus! I should have taken my kids with me because they would have LOVED it.

Thus, if you are in Disney area, have a car, and need to take a day away from it all, then this is your place!

Note: There are PLENTY of places to eat (fast food), Starbucks, CVS, etc. on the road from the highway exit and the park's entrance. It is an extremely safe area. You could very easily go to the park with a packed lunch and then grab a bite to eat for dinner on the way out.

3  Thank John P
Reviewed February 23, 2013

What a heavenly setting. A large natural spring, constant 72 degree temperature, and if you go before 11 on a weekday as we did, you'll have very few swimming companions, but even in the afternoon, when we returned with our picnic lunch, it was uncrowded.
I can be a wimp about coolish water, but I really did not want to come out of the water here.
And while swimming in the springs i
was wonderful, the park has much more--canoes, kayaks, and paddleboats are available for rent, and there are hiking trails. We took the "wet to dry" boardwalk, and then drove to the Sand Lake parking area and walked the short trail to Sand Lake, a small gem. You can walk around the entire lake in about 10 minutes, slowly.
The park is good for wildlife and birds. We were there mainly for the springs themselves, but even in our short time there, we saw wild turkeys, a barred owl, woodpeckers, black vultures, and turtles.
At $6 park entry fee per car, this is a fabulous value. Take a picnic lunch.

2  Thank BluesInTO
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Wekiwa is beautiful! There is plenty of room to swim even though the place is usually packed! There's not a whole lot of room to set up your stuff around the water if it's busy, so get there early! Sometimes the noise from all the people can be annoying, but it's still a great place to visit when it's warm! All Florida Springs' water stays at about 72 degrees. There's also nature trails to walk. I definitely recommend canoeing here!! You can rent canoes which are fairly priced. You will see a lot of wildlife including gators, birds, fish, turtles, snakes, etc. If you're lucky enough, you might see a Florida Black Bear! If you canoe down the river for about 15 minutes, you'll come to a place that has a dock to park the canoes.. There is a bar there to enjoy a few adult beverages. I believe they sell food as well.
Overall, I would recommend visiting all of Florida's springs, including Wekiwa!

3  Thank VeganVacation
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We enjoyed the day as we hiked the paths. Birds were everywhere! Then we went to the springs. Enjoyed swimming -even in January. Took a drive to Sand lake- quiet and the lake was calm and gorgeous. The springs had an option to rent canoes and kayaks. The Sand lake area had a place for horses.
Pleasant way to spend the day