“Camping & Tubing”
Review of Kelly Park

Kelly Park
Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Apopka
More attraction details
Owner description: Camp among deer and otter after you tube the river.
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We camped at Kelly Park for the 4th of July weekend and I expected it to be utter chaos. Surprisingly it was delightful! There are only 26 campsites and my parents and I reserved 2 by phone about two months before the trip. Sites for non-county residents are $23 a night. NO PETS and NO ALCOHOL (bring your Tervis). The bathroom size was adequate for the amount of campers and I never had to wait for a bathroom or shower stall. Great tree canopy / very shaded. We stayed at site #19 and the only complaint we had was that the water hook up was on the opposite side from the electric. This wouldn't matter for a tent camper but it does for a trailer. We had to run to Walmart (20 miles away - also Starbucks next door, score!) and get a longer drinking water hose. It rained almost every afternoon but the bugs weren't bad at all. I liked that the campers had a nice paved walkway right down to the springs; less than a 10 minute walk. At the springs there is a concession stand serving food, sunscreen, and bags of ice. There are TONS of picnic tables and large pavilions to rent. We walked from our site at 10am down to the spring and passed at least 20 picnickers already cooking on the grill! You can rent tubes outside of the park or at a van near the concession stand. We brought our own. For those not camping, the park closes at 10am and reopens at 3pm on the busy days because it gets so crowded.

Date of experience: July 2014
in 7 reviews
"bug spray"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The parking lot was laid out very nicely with lots of wooded area area between lanes and lots of picnic tables with grills. Playground was wonderful! We came here for the Rock Springs Run and had a wonderful time! The tube run itself is more like a lazy river but for young children its great! No worries about currents pulling them away from you and it is mostly about 4 foot deep all the way down. Lifeguards are on duty so that is also helpful. They have a large sandy beach area for the kids to enjoy also. We will be back!

6  Thank Twood929
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

We had a fun time camping at Kelly Park and playing in Rock Springs.
The staff was friendly and extremely laid back. Our site, site 17, was the largest and very nice and private. The bathrooms were okay. The showers were older and okay. There was no AC in the bathroom. The bugs were having during our visit so plan accordingly.
We saw bears, deer, raccoons, wild turkey snakes and such.
We had fun!

The springs was nice and a great place to cook off during our stay during June.

Great place to make memories with the family.

1  Thank BeachMomFL
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Here we are trying to make a last minute trip to a spring and heard that this was the best one to go camping at. So started my research on this campground and came across multiple phone numbers that were no longer in service or you would find one to call and it was a voice recording telling you to go to the website and there was no helpful information on dates or if you could do like a walk up campsite. The springs seem like a lot of fun but can you swim or not? Can you swim in a big spring where you are not brushing the sand with your toes? For that hassle and headache of trying to get a hold of someone I'll scratch that off my list.

7  Thank dominique s
See more reviews
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I love this park it is great for families. The park has lifeguards and they have rangers that patrol so it is really safe. Food is reasonable if you do not have a large family and the owner is friendly and helpful. My problem is it is to hard to get in and out of the water in the swimming area if you are a senior. And there is no access with my scooter to get to the top. They made some changes there which left me out. I have addressed this problem to no avail. Even worse is if you have a child that is handicapped. All they would have to do is put some more steps into shorten the distance from the last step into the water so getting in and out is possible. I will continue to go there because I love the water it takes us 1hr & 20 minutes to get there and I will continue to struggle to get in and out of the water with the help of strangers. My problem?? 3 knee replacements that did not work.

2  Thank Patricia B

Been to Kelly Park? Share your experiences!