“In a Pinch, OK”

Best Western Apalach Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Apalachicola
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 1, 2011

It's an old style Motel which could use upgrading. The Room was clean, bathroom was adequate with plenty of towels. There is a pool but the water looked a little dingy, so we passed.
Overall, friendly staff and we did get a good night sleep, having a room near end of Motel away from the road. The value though is poor, over a $100 for the night.

Room Tip: Get a room on ground floor, otherwise you will lug your luggage.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GeorgeO1

Reviewed October 12, 2011

I was really careful about this motel because I heard a lot of bad comments on Best Western in general. To my surprise, it was not bad. They even served hot breakfast (as opposed to continental), not a lot of option but it's reasonable. The hotel wasn't exactly the cleanest building but the room was fine. That area wasn't the most metropolitan area after all. Maybe it's the cleanliness, maybe it's the trees around, it felt a bit shady but not too creepy.

Room Tip: The first floor would be easier for moving luggage since I don't believe there's an elevator...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Larry H
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Dingy and old, it was nothing like the pictures. The rooms smelled bad and the staff was apathetic. Worst of all was the sheets on the bed were so obviously not changed since the last patron that I stripped the bed and used a blanket from my car. To top it off I was overcharged for a night that we did not reserve. In answer to my inquiries the staff on the phone told me "The manager is out of town and I don't have the authority to refund." and "We don't know when he will be back...he likes to surprise us."

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Stephen J
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Recently my sister was married on St. Georges Island and she arranged for a block of rooms at this hotel. My wife made a reservation for the Saturday night of the wedding, and I submitted my credit card upon check-in. I was told, however, that they expected me the night before as well as for the Saturday night. I told them this was wrong and that I had only ever needed the reservation for Saturday night. I submitted my credit card and signed the register for my stay. First lapse of communication error on the part of Best Western.

Two weeks later my wife tells me her credit card has been charged $245.50 for three nights' stay at the Best Western! She is extremely upset and says that she spent an hour on the phone trying to get this resolved. She was issued a credit for $29.68 for the "third" night. What "third" night? She is told that my credit card will be charged the difference and she will be credited, but that it may take some time because it has to come from Best Western "Corporate". Second lapse of communication.

We try and get this resolved, but the manager, Mr. Atul Patel, never returns her calls. I call and try and get this resolved but, again, Mr. Atul Patel does not return my call. Another employee (I think his name was Ajay, but he was very hard to understand) verifies that my wife has been credited for the third night. What third night?
Mr. Atul Patel finally calls me, after I am sure he received a frantic call from Ajay. He promises me that that night he was going to credit my wife's credit card for the two night stay ($215.82) and he would charge my card for only one night stay ($107.91). But if this is the case, what does Best Western "Corporate have to do with the previous statement made by Mr. Atul Patel. I think I am getting some relief. But I am wrong.

Today I checked my credit card balance and I have been charged $215.82 for two nights' stay, after Mr. Atul Patel assured me I would only be charged for one nights' stay. I am not surprised, but call the Best Western again and ask for Mr. Atul Patel. Dana, probably the most patient person in the world, called me back to discuss the situation with me. She tells me point blank Mr. Atul Patel told me he was going to charge me $215.82 for two nights. So, not only did he lie to me, he lied to his employee!

The fact is no one knows how many nights my reservation was for. Ajay thinks it is for three nights, Dana tells me there are actually two reservations for me, and Mr. Atul Patel can not seem to tell the truth. At this point I do not expect to get a credit for the one night. I will not stay at a Best Western again, though. Ever. And Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn will have an entry about this property and their policies.

Room Tip: Do not make a reservation at this hotel; save yourself the aggravation!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Lowpro
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This accommodation needs updating. Dining area unable to cope with guests at breakfast time as there is not enough seating. Would not stay for more than one night.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeymourMelbourne
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We stayed here multiple days and were very pleasantly surprised! Our room was nicer than the web pictures suggested. It looked like it had been recently updated and was very large. Our room was clean and the staff was very friendly. We enjoyed our stay here and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank waldmanenator
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Stayed on a Tuesday night. Room was very spacious and comfortable. Staff was curteous. Free breakfast had a lot of items. Convenient to town, yet far enought to be quiet. Maybe a bit pricey, but excellent value for the money. I would return.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank ask4geo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
Gibson Inn
#2 of 2 in St. George Island
Port Inn
Port Inn
#1 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to Best Western Apalach Inn? Share your experiences!