“Loved it!!!!!”

Papa Joe's Oyster Bar & Grill
Ranked #8 of 37 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine
Traveler
“Loved it!!!!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2007

Papa Joes is great! The service is one of a kind,with a staff that you could chat with for hours. The view:breathtaking. Food wasnt bad either! I would highly recommend Papa Joes. I would like to say though, with the fullest respect, I noticed some complaints in the other reviews about the decor and/or atmosphere being one of lower class. Well it is well known to be a kicked back oyster slurping good time, Papa Joes doesnt claim to be a five star fancy place...just wants others to feel at home!

2 Thank Bestmatch

Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Try Boss Oyster Instead”
Reviewed July 26, 2007

Food was just average. The service was kind've slow, and the restaurant could use some work. All in all we probably will not be going back.

1 Thank covcolff
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Only an OK restaurant”
Reviewed July 6, 2007

While camping in the area, we went to the Carabelle Chamber of Commerce visitor center. A lady suggested that the locals go to Papa Joe's for oysters and the tourists go to Boss Oysters. We like to do what the locals do and went there at 6:30 pm July 7, 2007. It was busy and there is no handicapped parking. We managed to get a table by the window. The chairs and tables are not real classy, more like a rental place would use. I tried two dozen oysters, one at a time and they were good - a little salty but actually not bad considering it was not a R month. The horseradish was very weak. My wife ordered the grilled grouper and it was cooked perfect and her coleslaw was good. Our salads were warm and just a typical salad. I ordered the Herb & Garlic Shrimp Pasta dish. When it was delivered it also had roasted red pepper strips and mushrooms in it. The mushrooms detracted from the dish and they overpowered everything else. Also, I had expected at least a medium size shrimp but these were very small. I would not order that dish again. My wife's hushpuppies were very good.
As for the ambience, it was very loud in the screen porch area (it was air conditioned in the summer). One group of young girls about 15 years old were screaming and acting stupid trying to get a small baby to cry (they thought this was funny) which drew the attention of many diners. Also, another table had a young boy and girl about 10 hitting each other and when the mother attempted to stop it, the boy stuck his tongue out at his mother and ran around the table. So if you want some free entertainment, go on a Friday night. I wish I had taken a few videos of the "fun".
Would we eat here again, I doubt it.

1 Thank norme-ormond
Tampa
“Not as good as hyped up in local newspaper”
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We went there on June 21, 2007. Had to wait a short while, didn't get to sit by the window. Atmosphere is not fancy. Food was adequate. We had fried scallops and a grouper salad. The shrimp and scallop bisque left a little to be desired. Wasn't the true creamy bisque that you think about. It was sort of chunky and had a vinegar taste - again not smooth. There seemed to be alot of locals there that seemed to like it. Oysters abound in the place if you like that. I guess it is an adequate local place with not much flare. Service was OK, but not great. They were out of a few things that night, which wasn't good. So I would rate it a 4-5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

1 Thank kjonestampa
Macon, Georgia
“was that fish?”
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I was not impressed even if I heard from other guests that the food was great. The battered fish did not have any taste at all. I give 10 to the hushpuppies as that was what salvaged my meal.

1 Thank agj321