“Not as good as hyped up in local newspaper”

Papa Joe's Oyster Bar & Grill
Ranked #9 of 37 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Tampa
“Not as good as hyped up in local newspaper”
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We went there on June 21, 2007. Had to wait a short while, didn't get to sit by the window. Atmosphere is not fancy. Food was adequate. We had fried scallops and a grouper salad. The shrimp and scallop bisque left a little to be desired. Wasn't the true creamy bisque that you think about. It was sort of chunky and had a vinegar taste - again not smooth. There seemed to be alot of locals there that seemed to like it. Oysters abound in the place if you like that. I guess it is an adequate local place with not much flare. Service was OK, but not great. They were out of a few things that night, which wasn't good. So I would rate it a 4-5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

1 Thank kjonestampa

Macon, Georgia
“was that fish?”
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I was not impressed even if I heard from other guests that the food was great. The battered fish did not have any taste at all. I give 10 to the hushpuppies as that was what salvaged my meal.

1 Thank agj321
A TripAdvisor Member
“My favorite oyster place in Apalach...”
Reviewed March 26, 2006

Hidden in Scipeo Creek Marina, Papa Joe's doesn't seem to get as much tourist attention as Boss Oyster. Which is actually why I like it more. It is true that the service and atmosphere aren't fancy - but the food is good. You can get your oysters a million different ways.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
“Don't Bother”
Reviewed June 28, 2005

Food was okay - service lousey. Took forever to get a waitress to take our order. Never came back to check on us. When we finished our meal she brought the check without checking to see if we wanted any desert. Needless to say our tip was "Uh, I don't think so!" and we normally tip very good, especially for good service - sometimes above 20%. There are plenty of other places in Apalach to sit and relax and have a great dinner - try the "Grill" right down town on corner of Hwy 98.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Papa Joe's in Apalach--skip it”
Reviewed May 11, 2005

Recently vacationed in Apalachicola and returned to Papa Joe's Restaurant, next to Scipio Creek Marina, for dinner mid-week. I've had lunch and dinner here before, with good results. Alas, my luck ran out. Despite the restaurant being slow, our waitress couldn't be bothered with re-filling tea, checking on the food or offering dessert. We had to chase her down to even get our check. My crab cakes were mediocre (mostly filler), but the prize-winner was my dining partner's fried shrimp platter: whoever prepped the shrimp neglected to peel them before they were fried. I've heard of "peel and eat shrimp" before, but that presentation took the cake. Apparently the guys at the table behind us had the same experience. We should have left when we heard their complaints, and gone down the street to the Grill instead. The food and service are much better there. If you want to try Papa Joe's just for a cold beer and good view of the river, you're probably safe.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member