“Huge Mistake!”

Caroline's Dining on the River
Ranked #17 of 37 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jeffersonville, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Huge Mistake!”
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My wife and I along with my brother decided to go out to dinner on a Thursday night. We are not big oyster eaters, but decided we wanted to try some of the famous "Apalachicola Pearls". We stopped and checked out the Boss Oyster, but my wife wanted to go to the "nicer" looking place next door, so we walked over to Caroline's. What a mistake! When we walked in we were greeted right away and taken to our table with a wonderful view of the bay. When our waitress came to the table she seemed very pleasant and went and got our drinks. I told her that my glass of tea that she refilled for me tasted like it had been sitting there for a while and was watered down. She quickly corrected me and told me that their tea was just light in color! I have been in the restaurant business for years and you just don't argue with a customer. Our salads were served to us and only one had croutons on it. She went ahead and served these to us and said she would be right back with croutons for the rest of the salads. My wife finished her salad before we ever saw our waitress again. A very mediocre dinner was served to us including a steak that was way overcooked! When my wife ordered the ribeye cooked medium, Amanda, our server, asked Med rare or Med well? Just Medium...she obviously picked Med well. After she served our dinner, we never saw her again until she came to pick up our plates. I never saw anyone to tell about the poor steak/service, and I have a feeling it wouldn't have helped. When Amanda did come back to our table, she smelled like cigarette smoke, so rather than make sure everything was ok, she decided to smoke! I would never go back to this place! Don't do it!

1 Thank c032611

Marietta, GA
“Wow, that was some really good coastal cooking. They know how to cook!”
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Wow! What a treat! Our dinner was the best seafood dinner thus far on the “Forgotten Coast”, and possibly ever. The grouper was well portioned and perfectly prepared as was the shellfish. Presentation was also first class. The fresh olive oil and sundried tomato bread served with the salads was a very nice touch. The dining room was classy, with linen and glassware. Our server was knowledgeable, efficient, and personable. We are here for a few more days and will visit again on our way out of town for breakfast. This restaurant shares an address with Boss’ Seafood, which is also very good – eat at both places for good seafood with different dining experiences (see my review of Boss’).

Flagler Beach, FL
“Great view and even better food”
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Fresh local Grouper dishes are to die for. Of course, oysters from the area are top notch as well. Formal table settings, but dress code is Florida casual. Staff is very friendly and helpful as one always hopes for. There is a smoking lounge/bar upstairs and they pour a mean drink. Be extra careful when coming back down the stairs. One word of advice, don't be put off by the building's exterior; it's old Florida.

Atlanta
“Pefect way to close the day”
Reviewed May 27, 2010

The food is excellent in a calm and peacefull environment. The restaurant has view of the great Apalachicola River. The prices are veryreasonable and, i would say, rather low for the high quality offered. Highly recomended!

Marco Island, Florida
“BEST BREAKFAST IN THE WORLD!!”
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Yes, we've all had eggs, bacon, grits & biscuits...but you have not had the BEST eggs, bacon (oh God, the bacon!), grits (perfect, never have to salt myself), and the buttermilk biscuits (obviously made from scratch) are melt in your mouth cloud puffs from heaven. Being as I make frequent trips through Apalach for business travel, Caroline's breakfast is what I look forward to each trip. I used to leave on my trips early, so I could make sure I made it in time for Caroline's breakfast, but then found out they serve breakfast until 1 p.m. (That's so great!). The waitstaff is always cheerful, ready to seat me, serve me, and feed me in a timely manner. The breakfast chef, Jimmy, must never get a day off, because everyday, no matter what day of the week it is, he is there and his dishes are always consistently magnificent. Over the past few years, I believe I've tried every breakfast dish they offer & the expectations of my palate have always been exceeded. I never expected to have such a wonderful breakfast in a little town like Apalach...better than any of the fine dining restaurants I've been to all over the US (hang on to your chef Caroline).