“Wonderful”

Caroline's Dining on the River
Ranked #18 of 38 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
andrewhalls
“Wonderful”
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Hi, my name is Andrew Halls my wife and i were driving threw aplachicola two weekends ago and decided to stop at Carolines for some dinner. The place was beautiful but very busy we were sat by this very young host I named Ashley which there was a couple infront of us that damanded to sit on the water!!! So the Ashley sat my wife and I first because she had to clean the table on the water off for the other couple. So when she sat my wife and I, I whispered to the lovely host HOW MUCH CLOSER CAN YOU SIT THOSE PEOPLE TO THE WATER WITHOUT THROWING THEM IN THERE!!! Ashley went and got our server a nice lady with tattoos on her hands with glasses she was very pleasant our food was wonderful the people was wonderful and the nice host top it off by buying my wife and I a very good desert. We tip them very good and very excited to see them when we return.

2 Thank andrewhalls

LaGrange, GA
“Great food and service!”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

The food was the best we had the entire trip. Would love to know the name of the chicken dish again so I can order on my next visit. It had a wonderful cream sauce that was out of this world. My husband had the crab cake and scallops and almost licked his plate clean.
Susan - LaGrange Georgia

Charlotte, NC
“A great breakfast -”
Reviewed April 10, 2010

We stayed in a different hotel in town 2 nights, end of March 20010 - The breakfast must have been good we eat here for both mornings - The view was so pretty looking out over the waterway and marsh - I will stay at the hotel the next time we are in town the breakfast is included in the room rate I am told - The helpings were good size, the ham was very good too -

Tallahassee
“Great Evening”
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We just stayed at the Apalachicola River Inn - what a great place: Great Breakfast at Caroline's just down the stairs and later wonderful entertainment at their lounge. We decided to eat appetizers at the lounge and dinner downstairs at Caroline's. Both were great, but Caroline's was wonderful - the best seafood I've ever eaten. We only live 2 hours away and now we've found "a get away spot".

Georgia
“Don't Go”
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I had a very good experience here about five years ago, but had not been in the area since then. I had one dinner meal to enjoy in Apalachicola while traveling and I chose Caroline's based on that earlier experience. The place looked shabbier than I remembered it and the gazebo on the water was gone, but I was looking forward to a good meal.
Upon entering the restaurant the dining room did not appear very busy--there were diners at six tables. Three tables contained couples, two tables contained four people, and there was one table of six. There were two waitstaff--one a girl with a long tattoo on one bare arm and the other a man.
I did not look at my watch to time the amount of time it took for either of them to acknowledge that i was waiting, but suffice it to say that I had read every one of the framed reviews that hung on the wall as well as the menu and the brochures for chartered boats on the table. They both seemes skilled at avoiding the welcome stand.

Finally, the man came to the stand, and indicated that I should follow him. Upon arriving at the tables on the opposite end from the welcome station he stopped and looked around with a surprised expression. There were only large tables seating six or more free. He seemd a bit exasperated as though he were not familiar with the dining room configuration and that he had led me to a place but had no place no seat me. He said that if I would be willing to wait for five minutes that a smaller table by the window could be cleared. I said I would wait for the table he indicated and said it would be nice to sit by the winndow. I indicated to him that I might wait outside and he said he would get me so I stepped outside on the deck area to watch boats ont he waterway. Five minutes went by and the table had not been cleared--i could see it thought the door. Not being in a hurry, I decided not to complain. After another five minutes I was cold so I went back inside. The table still had not been touched. Another couple came in.

The man acknowledged me and went to clear the table. When it was cleared and set with flatware he invited me to sit down which i did. The couple who had come in were also seated at another table that had been vacated during the time that I waited. Including my table there were now seven tables occupied.
I was given a menu but no water was put in my glass.
I had already read the menu and knew what I wanted to select, but neither the man or the tattooed woman came to my table. The couple who came in after me however were given water and they were asked for their orders. When the man brought out their salads and bread he walked right past my table and I caught his eye and while he made eye contact he did not communicate with me but kept going.
The other couple were almost done with their salads when another couple came in.
I decided I would give them five more minutes and leave if I had not been acknowledged.. When that time ended I decided to wait longer as i was hungry and tired and had taken quite a bit of time that day walking to various restaurants and studying menus and knew what I wanted to eat. The other couple were seated about eight minutes into my wait. About fifteen minutes into my wait this last couple was being served their wine and I still had no water in my glass.
I decided this was ridiculous.
I stood up and went to the man and told him that I was very disappointed in the service i had received. I pointed out that no one had even offered to pour water in my glass and that two couples who had arrived considerably later than I had been served. He just looked at me and did not say anything--no attempt tp apologize.
When seating the couple who had come in behind me I heard the tattoogirl indicate that she was tired and needed a minute to "catch her breath". Perhaps they were expecting more help, but the restaurant I went to AFTER I walked out of Carolines had waitstaff with multiple tables who somehow managed to greet everyone and keep the timing of the service just right. I don't have any explanation for their behavior but it was far less than professional. I was nothing but pleasant to the staff and I had been looking forward tot his meal since arriving in Apalachicola the evening before. I walked down the3 strete to the Owl Cafe where I had a very different experience. I am sad to say that the gazebo is not the only thing that has changed about this restaurant.

2 Thank BeingGreen