“Tap Room”
Review of Owl Cafe

Owl Cafe
Ranked #1 of 38 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I were very excited to find the tap room since they have many craft beers on draft. we started out thinking of just having a drink there but ended up ordering many of the small plates. We enjoyed the goat cheese plate, a side of olives in oil served with a soft bread,the duck taco was awesome and the alligator sausage was amazing. Service was great and we truly enjoyed pairing different beers with the food. Would absolutely go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I were enjoying our first visit to Apalachicola. After reading reviews, and enjoying several great meals, we were looking for to visiting Owl Cafe for our last night. We had checked earlier and saw that the restaurant closed at 10 pm. We arrived at 9 pm after a day of kayaking only to be told that the owner decided to close early and not to bother even coming up the stairs. We plan to visit the area again, but I doubt we will try this restaurant. Would put up no stars if possible.

1  Thank jyshiver
owlcafefl, Owner at Owl Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

I sincerely apologize for your missed oppurtunity. Occassionally, when we are very slow, we close down our main dining rooms a little bit early. However, our kitchen always remains open until ten pm. Our policy is to divert guests to our Tap Room next door where guests can enjoy selections and specials from both our regular menu and our Tap Room menu. I apologize if the hostess did not communicate this clearly. It will not happen again.
Cassie Gary
Owner

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Service was great, seafood was creative and delicious. We also ate at the Owl Tavern, which was equally good. HIghly recommended.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stopped at the Owl Cafe because of it's #1 ranking on Tripadvisor and I am so glad we did! Atmosphere looked like it may be a little nicer than a "beach restaurant" but it was not pretentious or snobby. We snagged a great table with a view of the river and service was spectacular. I had the jambalaya which was good and hubby had a pasta dish with shrimp which he raved about. The shrimp in both of our dishes were huge and cooked to perfection. The broth that the pasta was served in was so yummy and the homemade bread served with the meal soaked it up just right. The green garlic ranch dressing for the salads was delicious as well. We could not stop talking about how good of a meal this was. Perfect atmosphere, service, and food! We will stop here again and again.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Visited on a rainy day recently while we were vacationing in the area. It was clean and comfortable and one of the few places open on an off-season Sunday. The brunch menu had a good selection. There are 2 reasons for the average rating. 1. The food was really just average - the crab dip was overpowering and the pita crisps a bit greasy. The chicken and mushroom soup was almost flavorless and barely cooked with a thin broth, no complexity; the green salads were crisp and fresh with good house made dressings (this and the cleanliness bumped it up from being a poor); the Shrimp and grits - I'd pass I think on these if you are a fan of this dish from South Carolina versions. The cheese grit base was good with a lot of butter and cheese but the shrimps were chewy and not seasoned and there was really not anything else to the dish - no tasso ham, peppers, sausage or roux invloved. A bowl of yummy high calorie grits and a few chewu shrimp. There was also a sort of slimmy clear layer on top that I could not identify. My table neighbors had french toast and fruit and said it was good. and 2. we ordered a pound cake dessert and it was aweful. How can you mess up pound cake? Make it a dry upsidedown muffin with an icy, watery ice cream on top and then pour a sugar syrup over it. Yikes! We told the waiter it was not good and did not eat it but he neither offered us a substitution or took it off the bill.
So better than chain food I guess but disappointing given the nice setting.