“great fresh oysters”

Ranked #15 of 39 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed September 8, 2013

cannot get better than this, excellent oysters and different styles of baked oysters to choose from. I will be definitely back. they have good bloody maries as well. you just don't want to stop ordering.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Want to have a fun lunch at water's edge? This is the place to go. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but don't let that fool you. Once you've tasted their Grouper or Flounder Basket or fresh Oysters, you'll be convinced this is a great place. Sitting outside on the deck is fun because you can watch the pelicans and other birds swooping all around. If you happen to be there on a day the oysters come in, you can watch them being cleaned in some type of contraption right near the deck. It's a bit noisy but kinda cool if you've never seen it before. Apparently this is THE place to be because it's always packed with customers.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I love this restaurant. I travel to this part of Florida at least twice a year and have for many years. We always eat here every time we come down.The food is great and the prices are not to bad.They have not disappointed so far.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Over the 25 years we've lived in Tallahassee, we've eaten at most of the Apalachicola restaurants in Trip Advisor's top 20, or at least those with any longevity. For some reason, though, we'd never been to Boss Oyster. On a recent visit to Apalach, we remedied that oversight, with mixed results. First, you'll not find a place along the coast with a greater variety of oyster preparation. You name it and they are doing it or are willing to try. Unfortunately the oystering industry here is in a very bad way. For a variety of reasons, mostly environmental, oyster harvests are way down, and all too often, local oysters are unavailable. I started with a dozen raw, and while they were of decent size, and were pretty fresh, they lacked the salty taste I've been used to. Sure enough, the waitress acknowledged that they were from Louisiana. My disappointment was partly gastronomic but mostly economic. Here in the center of a region that once produced nearly 10% of the nation's oysters, they import their main menu item. My wife and I had oyster tacos, which were very good and a novel recipe. She said her margarita seemed light on the tequila. Service was fine and although we sat outside next to the river, the bird assaults others have reported here were limited to a few sparrows darting in to pick up crumbs from the deck. Weather was great and a threatening thunderstorm held off. In sum, I think Trip Advisor has Boss Oyster pegged just about right in the Apalachicola restaurant ratings.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We sat outside on the deck of the bayside restaurant, which was a bad decision. I don't know if inside was better but the outside was filthy. They have a serious problem with the seagulls that swarm tables the minute people leave. Their droppings were visible everywhere and contributed to extremely unsanitary conditions. Our table didn't look like it had been cleaned properly, maybe ever. The squeeze bottles of mayo-based tarter sauce and cocktail sauce were greasy and probably had been out for hours. I suspect spoiled mayo is what caused my wife to get very sick the next day. She ordered fried shrimp, which were fine, and so the sauce which she said tasted a little off was the likely culprit. But it also could have been something else she inadvertently touched and ingested. On the positive side, I ordered two types of their special oysters which were delicious and caused me no ill effects. Meanwhile, the service was very slow and amateurish. Our waitress greeted us by complaining about how little tip she got from the large table that had just left. I would never go back.

3  Thank ABPV