“Good oysters and good fried baskets” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boss Oyster

Boss Oyster
Ranked #13 of 37 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cumming, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good oysters and good fried baskets”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Food was good but the oysters were a bit pricey compared to other places in the area, almost double. The fried shrimp and fried scallop baskets were awesome! Get oysters one place and your meal here.

Visited August 2012

Port Saint Joe, Florida
“Boss Oyster fell short on service and quality Labor Day weekend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Took friends who were in town for Labor Day weekend to Boss hoping to impress them with fresh fish entries. Arrived about 815 expecting a wait and did have a short 20 minute wait, not bad for a Sunday night on labor day weekend. Once we were seated however the experience I had hoped to share went down hill. after waiting 20 minutes at the table without a sole acknowledging our presence , no water, no Ill be right with you ...nothing. So we hailed the next person we saw walking quickly by and asked if we could get our server, we did this three times with three different servers, all responded the same way ..Ill see if anyone has been assigned to your table yet... so we waited 15 more minutes and finally a server appears very unhappy it seems to have been assigned our table of 5. My husband ordered gumbo as appetizer and recieved it cold and had to ask for it to be heated. The rest of the group ordered the char grilled redfish since they were out of almost everything else including Oysters we were told when we finally had an assigned waitress). It was okay, a little dry but not bad meal. the server began to smile a little as it got closer to tip time. It seems that Carolines service model has begun to affect Boss ( they are connected resturants). 2 1/2 hours later we left not feeling very good about how we were treated and a little less than okay about our food. Management needs to work on staffing and training how to work in a service industry if they want to be the place they advertise.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank diner132
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Excellent dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Despite concerns about mixed reviews, we decided to visit Boss Oyster. We have visited a number of times over the years and hoped the quality didn't decline-and we were not disappointed.

Our server was incredibly friendly, accurate with our order and prompt. The food came out fast and everything was perfect. Cooked well, great portions, wonderful flavor. Among the excellent foods were oysters, crab cakes, fried and blackened shrimp, hushpuppies and corn fritters. It was truly excellent!

• Visited September 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great Seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Went there based on a recommendation from folks on our sunset cruise from the Maritime Museum. The food was absolutely wonderful. We never go on vacation and hit the same restaurant twice, but this one we did.

Visited August 2012
Macon, GA
“Service and Food Seem to Have Improved”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Boss Oyster had been a family favorite on visits to Apalachicola for many years, but recently seems to have had trouble staying competitive with other restaurants in the area. After one very bad visit, I decided to give it another chance and was both pleased and impressed each time.

I took friends here earlier in the season to get raw oysters and ordered the crabcakes, which had previously disappointed. My girlfriend and I split a platter of two that were fairly large, well seasoned and tasty. One of our companions ordered plain raw oysters and the other ordered them with one of the salsa/chutney toppings.

The oysters that came to our table were huge and very fresh. 1 dozen oysters is enough food for one very hungry person, or two people who want a light lunch. Our friend who ordered the topped oysters ate about five with toppings and ended up scraping most of the chutney off of the remaining oyster. I did the same with the topped oyster that I sampled. The topping was good enough, but the oysters are so large that they are sometimes difficult to swallow even without the extra stuff.

One of our companions ordered a bloody mary that I sampled and tasted a little too strong. She asked for more mix, which they provided and helped balance the drink.

On this visit, it was not particularly busy and our server was properly, but not overly attentive. The ticket was somewhat reasonable because we split a meal, but still on the pricey side for the amount of food and a single beer and soda.

On our second return vist, I ordered a fried oyster sandwich that was pretty tasty and affordable, if a bit greasy. My girlfriend ordered a fried shrimp basket that contained some very large, fresh and tasty shrimp. The fries that came with our baskets were edible, if not terribly exciting and went mostly uneaten.

I ordered a bloody mary, which was very good and fairly well balanced, but still on the strong side. It wasn't as strong as the drink from our previous visit, but the vodka was definitely discernable. I did not need more mix, and the drink was a nice relief in the middle of a hot day.

Both of our companions ordered topped oysters on this visit. The oysters were a touch larger but seemed a little less fresh than they had on the previous visit, as did the vegi salsa. Both of our companions removed the chutney from almost all of their oysters. The salsa was okay in all three variations that I tried, but unless you absolutely don't want plain raw oysters, I tend to think that they taste better without it.

They both ordered beer, which was overpriced and the selection was limited to the most basic foreign and domestic beers. Only a handful of beers were on draft, and I don't remember any of them being something besides the basic bud/miller products.

We ate during the 1:00 lunch rush in the height of tourist season, so restaurant was much busier than it had been on our previous visit. Although our drinks occasionally went empty and it took a little while to get them initially, our server was attentive, never too breaks to chat or otherwise delay service and checked on each table every time she visited her area.

Overall, I think that the food and management seemed to be as good as I remember it, but the limited selection of pricey beer and the price of food prevent me from giving it four stars. If you are a lover of raw oysters and have never had these enormous and tasty gulf oysters, it's absolutely a worthwhile stop, but I wouldn't plan a trip of more than 50 miles simply to visit this restaurant. If you plan a day trip in the area, however, its certainly a great place to relax and enjoy some tasty fresh food. Bring your wallet and expect a hefty bill if you bring more than 2.

• Visited July 2012