“Fantastic Food and Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ira's at the Gibson Inn - CLOSED

Ira's at the Gibson Inn
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We are a beautiful restaurant located in the Gibson Inn which is on the national historical register having been built in 1907.Our cuisine is called New Florida cuisine featuring local fish and the freshest ingredients all prepared creatively by Chef Ira Mittelman.So come on in for a quiet dinner, or a family night out(we have a children's menu. Or if you want to bring your 4 legged friend we have outdoor seating
Tallahassee, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Food and Atmosphere!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

The food was fantastic and the service was just as great. We would highly recommend and will be going back in the future!

Visited August 2014

Louisville, Kentucky
“Lots of potential but little care for customers”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We were vacationing on St. George Island, as we have for many years, and were looking for a place to celebrate my daughter's 19th birthday. After some looking online, we settled on this restaurant as I'd checked the menu online and we'd walked by the inn often in years before and had been charmed by it.

Crickets when we came in at the time of our reservation. Bad omen. Finally someone saw all five of us standing there and asked us if we had a reservation. We were seated in a beautiful dining room, really lovely, remarkable, but the server seemed to have no idea of what good service was, let alone fine dining--the banner sign waving across the inn proclaims that Chef Ira's food is four-star --I don't know if she wasn't provided any training or just was clueless but things went from bad to worse. We were served cocktails after about twenty minutes at our table, then our appetizers finally came out. The oysters on the half-shell were lukewarm and when my husband--who's been caught by bad oysters before--asked why they were served warm, the server said she'd ask the chef about them, but never bothered to clue us in on what she'd found out. We left oysters on the plate because we were AFRAID to eat them, but again, no recognition that anything was amiss.

From there, so many other things went bad. We had to ask for cocktail forks to eat our oysters, and ten minutes later, the server brought two for the five of us, asking is this what you wanted? The tableware is horrible, the kind I'd find in a cheap diner, by the way, for a restaurant that boasts four stars and these prices--and even so we were asked if we'd "like to keep our silverware?" No, I said. Sheesh. What trouble is it to replace a knife and fork? Isn't that standard service? Especially in a dining room with four or five tables? I hate that!

The food was okay, good in some cases, interesting. But we were served items that didn't quite line up with the menu, and with no explanation. For instance, a Caesar salad served in a "parmesan" bowl, wasn't. My ahi tuna special with Wasabi had no wasabi but was topped with the same pesto that was serve on the tomato salad I'd had earlier.

Lots of time between courses, which was okay, but in between we waited forever for drinks. The candle on our table was never lit, the empty glasses never lifted. We had oyster shells on our fable until the entrée service was over.

The chef did walk through the dining room many times and right by our table and never clued in to any glass-littered table, empty drinks, hungry faces, though he did spend some time at the wine bar fussing at his servers, And on and on. It's just beginning to sound silly, even to me, so I'll stop in a minute--though I do want to mention that our check was given to us lickety=split and collected lickety=split. And as we walked out, the person at the maitre'd stand never lifted her head from her cell phone to notice we were leaving, much less say thank you or good bye--restaurant service 101. And we were almost out the inn door completely before someone said so long.
Just such rookie mistakes, or mistakes that happened from a general lack of care or interest.

This could be such a great place. So disappointing--and I should say we were ready to spend a good deal of money celebrating our daughter's birthday and would have spent more had we been able. Irksome. Will never recommend. Sad, so much potential.

7 Thank travelingpoet13
mccovey44, Owner at Ira's at the Gibson Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your dining experience. Let me answer some of your concerns. Your oysters are not served on ice, because we receive them from a local oysterman daily. They are shucked to order, not in advance like some other restaurants. As to your tuna dish, there is a daily special board outside the restaurant that clearly states the days preparation of the tuna. I take great pride in having created a grilled tuna dish with smoked tomato and caper sauce. then I top it with a dollop of pesto for color and flavor. I was using wasabi cream, but that was for an Asian salmon pasta special.
I am very sorry that you had a waitperson who though enthusiastic was new and not properly trained yet. That is totally my fault. One of wait people had a family emergency. That is not your concern, and totally my fault. I am very sorry you did not enjoy your experience.
My staff and I work very hard to try to make every ones dining experience special, and when we don't it hurts.
If you are ever back in the area, please let us show you how much better we can do. Call the restaurant and I will personally oversee your evening.

Ira
Destin, Florida
“Ahhhhhhhhhmazing”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Had the special spicy pasta and it was incredible. Friendly wait staff, amazing food, great ambiance. Definitely recommended.

• Visited August 2014
“Best food and desert”
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

wonderful food, service and desert. Shrimp & grits were light and flavorful compared to others with a hint of spicy. Caciopino is delicious with grouper, clams and crab. If they have blueberry cobbler or key lime pie get it! All fresh blueberries and the key lime pie is SO fresh with real key limes.

the special grouper and shrimp is a plus too!

Mobile, Alabama
“Great Dining Experience”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I enjoy fine dining in our city and in our travels. We were very happy with our evening at the Gibson Hotel and our dining at Ira's. Our meal met our expectations and more. The service was professional and not hurried. We look forward to another evening with them.

• Visited June 2014