“Please skip the Rancho Inn”
Review of Rancho Inn

Rancho Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Apalachicola
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Even with its mixed reviews here, we thought we've give this place a try as we headed to FL to avoid the snow and ice in Georgia. The price was high, but lower than the surrounding brand name motels and lots lower than the B&Bs Unfortunately, the motel is run down, with a stained and cracked sink, poorly lit (40W CFL bulbs in the fixtures), and indifferently cleaned, and on our second day, not cleaned or made up at all. Apalachicola is fun, and the food is wonderful, but pony up a few extra dollars for a room to really enjoy your visit. Best word for the Rancho Inn? Depressing.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Growlser

Reviewed November 15, 2010

My husband and I had reservations to stay at this motel on our recent visit to Apalachicola. When we pulled into the parking lot, we were very disappointed. (I didn't read any reviews before we went). I went to the office to ask to see a room and the office was closed. There was a note on the door to call a cell phone. I reached the woman owner who told me she was unloading a truck and would be there directly. I took that opportunity to try to look into a room, but the windows were so dirty I could hardly see anything. The actual structure of the hotel is stucco and pieces had fallen off and were badly patched and as were continued to wait we could see other signs of mildew and other decay. When the owner finally arrived we cancelled our reservation (which she rudely accepted) and we headed down the road to the Best Western. It is possible that we have done this motel a dis-service, but I do believe that the exterior does give a significant idea on how well the interior is also maintained.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dilberta55
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I believe anyone who leaves a review, especialy a negative one, should be required to include their name and hometown since anyone, disgruntled ex employees etc. can leave one, my name is Johnnie Taylor from Pensacola Fl. I stayed at this place 2 nights, the rooms were very clean and well kept, there was no noise from the Hwy. There was a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker with free coffee in the room, the owner and staff were very nice and professional and will show you the room in advance if you like. I will stay here whenever I am in the area, also the price is very reasaonable.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Johali
Reviewed August 13, 2010

The Rancho inn is a great motel for the price. It is clean and cost half the price of local motels. If you are in town stop by and see for yourself. You can see the rooms before you decide and they are great.

Reviewed May 30, 2010

If you would enjoy staying in this hotel then you are more than likely high on Meth or some other controlled substance. There were dead cockroaches in the room and it smelled like a dead prostitute. I'm a cop and I have been in some [--] hotels to make arrests or respond to deaths and the Rancho Inn in Apalachicola, FL was definitely in my Top 5 [--] Hotels. If you have any kind of desire for cleanliness or safety, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mtrkelso1234
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I am here now and not impressed. We stayed last night in the Destin Motel 6 for half the price and much better accommodations. We checked in here just to sleep and relax for the night, and were not happy to find there are only 3 motel/hotels here in town (though there are some B&B's) so with not much competition the prices are inflated. I blame myself for not checking this out first.

Our rate for 2 persons with a small dog was $81 with taxes. We had no ice bucket or clothes hangers and very cheap frayed towels that we couldn't even find since they were behind the bathroom doors, so I went to the office for towels and was given nice fluffy newer ones. They brought us an ice bucket so I went to the ice machine which is outside and had no scoop, and is ancient. The ice is all clumped up with cubes frozen together.

The room itself is not too bad but our bed reading lamps were unplugged and the door is very hard to open from outside. You have to give it a good hip bump to get in. There is a fridge and microwave but fridge is unplugged too. We don't really need them anyway so don't care. The mattresses seem just average, nothing special good or bad.
The room is clean enough but not exceptional. There is an ironing board which we also don't need.

If I were paying $50 for this room I wouldn't care but for $80 it is a ripoff. The staff is friendly enough (family owned?) but I look for value/price ratio which I'm not finding here. Too bad there are not too many choices for a casual traveler in Apalachicola.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank northsouthq
Reviewed May 4, 2009

If you want to experience a roadside motel for the price of a hotel near the beach, with cranky unhappy employees, this is your place. No soap or shampoo in bathroom. Broken television. Tiny towels. Reminiscent of the movie where you stay in a creepy motel next to the drifter who stalks you for two hours. They allow pets. But my dog wasn't a fan.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank romuluss
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
Best Western Apalach Inn
#2 of 2 in St. George Island
St George Inn
St George Inn
#1 of 2 in St. George Island

Been to Rancho Inn? Share your experiences!