“A great find for booklovers in a small town atmosphere”

Downtown Books & Purl
Ranked #1 of 9 Shopping in Apalachicola
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Are you a book lover? Do you like wandering around a well stocked store...and finding little unexpected treasures? Then this is right up your alley!

First of all, this is one of those labor of loves...the woman who owns the store has put together the perfect place for anyone on vacation.

She carries new books. And you will find the latest books there. But that's just a small part of it.

She has one of the best "local color" sections I've ever seen. Historic...Old Florida...Local authors..High style photography books.all high quality and interesting. (Great selection of southern regional magazines too...like "Garden & Gun"..)

If you have kids, she has a huge kids section...kid books, kids activities...something for everyone.

As far the Purl part...I don't Knit...so can't say. But she has a huge room and lots and lots of supplies for knitters...and since she does such a great job with the books..I trust this area is just as well done.

This bookstore is on the edge of downtown Apalachicola...and you need to look a little for it...it's on a side street across from the Post Office (you can't miss that).

In summary, if you love bookstores...you'll love this place too.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Whenever my wife and I go to Apalachicola (usually once a year or so), we always visit the bookstore there. We're obviously book lovers and like the little independent stores. They have a nice selection of local area books which we enjoy, because you don't usually see it in the big mega book stores, and don't know to search for it online. Another bonus is that they have a little section with knitting/crocheing supplies. My wife likes crafts, and they have a nice yarn selection, along with needles, etc. Also the people in the store are really nice and friendly and some of them can help you with getting started on the knitting if you're not sure what to do or just need a little refresher.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Since discovering Downtown Books & Purl, I never miss visiting when in Apalachicola. It really is a wonderful little shop with an awesome atmosphere and staff. Two thumbs up!

Reviewed March 9, 2012

We've stopped here twice now and will go again when we visit Apalachicola. We always find something fun to read. They have a good selection of books relating to the area. And the shop itself is very interesting.

1  Thank Sue B
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Love this little bookstore. A must stop on every visit to Apalachicola. I never leave empty handed. Lovely people.