“Amazing Oysters and Shrimp”

Up the Creek Raw Bar
Ranked #4 of 38 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Bogota, Colombia
“Amazing Oysters and Shrimp”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I got a really good feeling about this place when we unwittingly walked in 4 minutes before the kitchen closed. (Apparently, we'd crossed a time zone somewhere and lost an hour.) However, the staff was totally copacetic about taking a large order at the last minute, and the service remained excellent thru-out our meal. The raw oysters were fat and salty, fried shrimp were piping hot, tasty, and grease-free. The crab cakes were sort of pasty, unfortunately, no big chunks of crab to be found. And be forewarned, they don't fry oysters...even though they're swimming in them and have no problem frying shrimp. What's up with that?? Atmosphere's pretty ho-hum unless you sit outside. But great staff and tasty food go a long way toward overcoming any deficiencies, so, two thumbs up, and we'll be back!

• Visited December 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Alligator...doesn't taste like chicken”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was the second time we had visited Up a Creek Raw Bar; we hadn’t been there in a few years. We enjoy Apalachicola and often like to venture off the main touristy path. Located right along side the waterfront it offers a great view. The restaurant is a non-traditional sit down place in that you grab a table look over the menu, and then go up to the counter to place your order.

We stopped in for lunch on a cold November afternoon. Looking over the menu both my son and I decided to give the alligator burger a shot. I ordered mine with a cup of the crab bisque on the side. The bisque was wonderful! It was a rich, hearty, and flavorful warm-me-up for a cold November day.

As for the alligator burger, well I was sure what to expect. I have to say that it was a bit different. As for the old proverbial cliché “it tastes like chicken” did not hold true. The burger patty have a strong flavor of an “Old Bay” seasoning [which I don’t really care for], and seemed to lack an adequate binder in that the patty was crumbling as I ate it. The meat had and unusual texture…almost grainy. For the cost of it [$15.99] I did my best to eat as much as it as I could. My son on the other hand wasn’t able to even finish half of his. The unfortunate risk of trying something new and unusual, but none-the-less I can check off alligator on the food bucket list.

So, with that I won’t give the establishment a bad score because we have had a good experience in the past and the other items on the menu are good. I do have to say that it is a bit pricey for a place that you have to go up and place your order at the counter.

• Visited November 2013
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
“Salty Oysters !! & Killer Crab Cakes !!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Read about and were awful glad we stopped in for dinner !! I'd been jonsin' for oysters for a long time and they fulfilled just what I wanted !! Added to that was a mess of steammed clams and she got the crab cakes of America. The horseradish/cocktail sauce/remoulade sauce-salad bar, let us sauce up our way and dinner was great !!!

• Visited December 2013
Port Saint Joe, Florida
“The creek”
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

We love Up The Creek! You can't beat the view. Good beer selection. Do not leave without trying their bisque. Oysters any way you order them are great. I really like them baked with jalapeño, bacon & cheese. Great place for happy hour with friends!

Visited November 2013
Virginia
“Honestly The Best Raw Oysters I Have Ever Had”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Go here you will not be disappointed. The raw oysters were the best I have ever had. The perfect mix of salty and juicy. Enjoy with one of their four types of hot sauces. Lots of local microbrews available to wash down those raw ones. Plenty of other styles of oysters available as well and they had great soups and other choices. The only thing that is slightly confusing is the ordering/paying system. But that adds to the character of the place. Wish this place was closer to home so I could go more often. Boy were those oysters good.

• Visited November 2013