“Absolutely beautiful!”
Review of Coombs House Inn

Coombs House Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Apalachicola B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was in Apalachicola for a wedding this weekend, and the Coombs House Inn was gorgeous. The decor was quaint, the staff friendly, and the bed was so comfortable that I wanted to tie it to the top of my car and take it with me. Everything was clean, and the bathroom was far more spacious than I would have expected. I had a great time!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,183)

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed right before July 4th. We rented the Cloister and the room was as promised though the "private veranda" was a little smaller than I had hoped. The wine reception and breakfasts were both excellent. We took full advantage of the complimentary beach towels, umbrellas, and chairs. We even tried our hand at the bike built for two and I can say we didn't hurt ourselves (LOL). The Inn is close to the shops and restaurants of Apalach. It's a 15 minute drive to St George Island. Very romantic trip for me and my girlfriend. Would definitely return again

Room Tip: I favor spending the extra $20 for a suite. More room and I always wondered if there is morning noi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

What a great place to meet nice people. We had Room D that had a big porch with table and chairs. We are a family of 4 and it was a little difficult sleeping in double beds. One of us ended up sleeping on the floor. I would recommend the Inn upgrading to Queen beds. It looked like there was room. The decor was beautiful. One other thing was the air conditioning or lack there of. There is no control for the air conditioning in the room. It is (I think) in the front room. I asked the front desk to turn it down but it never felt cool enough to sleep or relax. It was an "up all night" for 1 of us because it was so hot. Overall all I would definitely stay here again but would get a room with its own a/c control and only come here with a party of 2.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Coombs House Inn is a very nice Bed and Breakfast in Apalachicola, Fl. This was our first trip to Apalach, and we plan to return based on our nice experience here. I traveled with my wife for a couple's weekend away. The Bed and Breakfast was as advertised. There was a cozy feeling, warm staff, and good location. The town is small, so the shopping and site seeing were within walking distance of this Inn. The Beach is on the St. George Island which was about a 15 to 20 min drive from the Inn. There were free bikes on the property, as well as beach chairs that we loaded up in our SUV and brought to the Island to use.

We stayed in room 11 which is the "Heaven" suite. The furnishings were very nice. There is a jacuzzi tub. It is on the first floor and you will hear everyone coming and going from that particular building in the morning. (Not great if you want to sleep in). There were also multiple guests with dogs and everyone wanted to stop somewhere right near our room to compliment and discuss these dogs which was a bit suboptimal for sleeping in again. I don't think that should be a big problem if you expect it.

Overall, this was a very good B and B, with a decent breakfast and nice location in a quiet but memorable town which we plan to visit again before too long.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was a perfect place for our romantic getaway! Everyone was so nice and the place was beautiful! Very clean! Breakfast was awesome! The staff was awesome! I'm a vegetarian and they went out of their way to make something nice for me. I especially liked that we were able to sit at a small table for two instead of sitting at a large table with other guests for breakfast. Our room was 17. It has a jacuzzi and nice size bathroom and the bed was very comfy. It is pretty close to St. George Island which was beautiful. It is also walking distance from the town shops. For dinner we went to the restaurant inside the Gibson Inn based on a recommendation from the lady who checked us in. I think it was called Ira's or Ida's? It was incredible! We also had great milkshakes at the Soda Fountain which was walking distance. The town is very quiet and not alot to do but that's what we were looking for. It is great a place for quality time together. We would love to go back!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had 3 night stay in early June. We were surprised at how little there was to see or do in Apalachicola and that the beach was 10 miles away, but the oysters were outstanding. Coombs House is not what we would expect from a 4-star hotel or Select Registry Inn. We were in the Tupelo room, and the room itself is a nicely furnished corner room. Traffic noise was somewhat bothersome. I knew about the claw foot tub ahead of time, but found that there is no bar or rod to hold to help get in and out of the tub. An elderly person would have a difficult time.

The cleanliness leaves much to be desired. The bath sink could use a good scrubbing, there is dust on everything. The bedroom rug was very dirty and was not vacuumed during our entire stay. I saw the bedding being changed in another room--the bedspreads were laying on the floor to change the sheets, then put right back on the bed. To the staff’s credit, the clogged tub drain was repaired when I requested it.

A very bright spot in the stay was Stella. She was extremely friendly and helpful—she is a real gem. I hope the Coombs House can make the changes it needs to live up to the status it has.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

After a long five hour drive, we were greeted with a warm, friendly smile and made to feel very comfortable right away. We stayed in Room 14, a pretty, cozy, blue and white, ground floor room in the Coombs Villa, one house from the main house and built by the same architect. This house is nestled in the ferns which line the gardens in front of the Camilla Hall (used for small, private events). There is a lush garden and as well as a gazebo with nice statues. Subtle and nice. Soon the mattress needs to be replaced as my DH & I kept rolling to the middle(!), linens were nice & comfortable; private bath with good shower. My DH remarked on the little angel sticker on the toilet paper :-)! Everything was fresh and clean. Good internet connectivity. Close walking distance to restaurants on the water and downtown area. Saw another couple head out from the inn with inn bikes -looked like fun! Breakfast was first class -so good I got the recipe!!
Sent from my iPad

Stayed: June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
Gibson Inn
#2 of 2 in St. George Island
Port Inn
Port Inn
#1 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to Coombs House Inn? Share your experiences!