“What a hidden gem!”

Coombs House Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Apalachicola B&B and Inns
“What a hidden gem!”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We were passing through Apalachicola and decided to stay at the Coombs House based on other trip advisor reviews. We were a little iffy as we had never stayed in a B&B but what a great place to stay. It was truly a beautiful place and the staff was top notch. We stayed in the Heron room #7 which was cozy.This was our first and definitely not our last visit to the Coombs House.

I highly recommend this place based on location, service and charm.

2 Thank Jazzykin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Annandale, NJ
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed traveled to Apalachicola over Memorial Day weekend. The Inn is beautiful - very well kept and nicely decorated inside. We stayed in the Heron room on the second floor. It was a big room, very clean, very comfortable bed, decent size shower stall. The breakfasts are fantastic and the staff is very attentive. The use of beach towels towels, beach chairs, and beach umbrellas is a great perk. St George Island is a short 15 minute away and is well worth visiting. The inn is withing walking distance to all the good restaurants -- Owl Cafe and Boss' Oysters are not to be missed! I would absolutely stay here again when traveling to this area.

3 Thank PatriciaT917
Mobile
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Beautiful hotel with three properties; we stayed in above the carriage house in the Hemmingway suite and so had lots of privacy. Arrived in time for afternoon wine and cheese reception and had a delightful time visiting with other guests. Charming town. B and B is two blocks from town center with shops and restaurants. Staff was friendly and professional. Definitely recommend this place. Just a short drive away from St. George Island and some great kayaking in St. Joseph Bay. Place was clean and everything worked---lights, air conditioning, refrigerator, jacuzzi tub.

Room Tip: Hemmingway room is by itself above the carriage house. Villa rooms are in a house away from main pr...
2 Thank Rhoda V
Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My sister and I spent one night at the Coombs House and that was one too many! We stayed in the Dupont Room, which has no control over temperature of the room. My sister was freezing, they came in and closed the kitchen vent and half of the bedroom (the other half was broken) and I ended up stuffing paper towels into the broken half. The room had alot of light that came from street lights and alot of traffic noise. The refrigerator freezer area was in dire need of defrosting and you couldn't fit anything in it if you tried. The ice trays were empty. The bathroom door wouldn't shut completely and the toliet seat was loose. There was a live bug in the bathtub! The windows had blinds that were not wide enough and you could see into the bathroom from the outside. The veranda had a nice view of the parking lot. Can't comment on breakfast cause we didn't eat there, we couldn't wait to get out of there. Not sure how they think this is worth $173.00 a night, but your crazy if you spend that to stay there!

Room Tip: Don't stay there!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank genealogytraveler1
, Public Relations Manager at Coombs House Inn, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Our historic mansions are centrally air conditioned, we keep the temperature set at a comfortable 74 degrees. Each room has ceiling fans and operable windows to accommodate individual needs. Most guests like the Dupont's sunny windows. Maintenance is ongoing, we have addressed these issues.
Navarre, Florida
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We have now stayed at the Coombs House Inn twice and will be back as often as we can. Walk through the front door of this beautiful old house and you have stepped back through time into a Victorian wonderland. The rooms are charming, well appointed, and comfortable. The service is prompt and so knowledgeable- you have a question, they have the answer. Unlike many other Bed and Breakfast places we have stayed the breakfast is substantial and keeps you going till lunch time. Dinning and sightseeing are all within walking distance of the inn. We have nothing but fond memories of our visits to Apalachicola!

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I wanted to travel along the coast with my dog and doing so is not an easy chore when it comes to overnights. Fortunately, I found the Coombs House. What an amazing stay!! The staff was great and the room, wow! The bed was more comfortable than mine at home! The room was incredibly clean! In the morning, I expected just a basic breakfast, but to my surprise (even with a gluten intolerance), that was the best breakfast I'd had in a long time! The coffee was superb, and, I'm very picky about my coffee. Everyone was super nice to my "furry child", "Whiskers", and even told us to come back. I am so thankful they welcomed my pet and let her stay in the room with me, otherwise I would not have been able to enjoy the coast as I much as I would have liked. I had forgotten how hospitable Floridians are, especially in that area. My only complaint was that my visit was too short. I will definitely stay again, next time at least for two nights.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, choose a room that is not located right on Highway 98.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Treasure Island, Florida
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Charming place to stay close to everything in Apalachicola. Friendly staff. Free bikes. Close to many great restaurants.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank oahudrew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
Gibson Inn
#2 of 7 in Port Saint Joe
Port Inn
Port Inn
#1 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to Coombs House Inn? Share your experiences!