“A Nice Expierience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Anna Maria
Haslett, Michigan
“A Nice Expierience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Recently stayed at the Sunrise with 4 other couples/family members (from December 30, 2013 - Saturday 4, 2014) . The stay at the motel was very nice and comfortable (unlike the weather - ugh). Our room was clean and nicely furnished.. We stayed in Unit 1, which had a king bed in a large bedroom, a bath with a big shower, and adequate size front room and kitchen for family and friends.

The grounds are well kept, with a very nice heated pool and BBQ area. Parking and wifi is free, which is a nice bonus. The two ladies on staff and running the motel, Amanda and Bri. are friendly and always willing to lend a hand or assistance.

Please note that this motel is not your "big ticket" property so do not expect all the extras (housekeeping service, phones), however, anything you need, for example, clean towels or fresh linen, is just a few steps away from your door.

Overall, the Sunrise Garden is a nice quiet, friendly motel resort that is close to the beach, restaurants, shopping, and other tourist attractions. I would strongly recommend this property to others. My only suggestion is that a TV should be offered in Unit's 1 bedroom, as all the other units have several. Kudos to management and staff.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank teddybee1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend this place to everyone. The staff is friendly, helpful, and go far beyond. The rooms are really nice, clean and up to date. If you want a great place to stay, stay here!!!!!!!!! Nice pool, close to restaurants, and walk to the ocean.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cornwall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

When a hotel is as highly rated as the Sunrise Garden Resort there is always a danger that one's expectations are too high. I have to admit that on arrival we were a little disappointed. As we arrived quite late we didn't get the friendly charming welcome that I'm sure most do (we picked up our keys from a secure location not a person) Also because it was dark we didn't immediately appreciate how pretty the grounds are.
The rooms,fittings and furnishings whilst clean were a little tired and the bed was a little smaller than most we are used to on vacation (although comfy).
However after the two nights we loved it just like (almost) everybody else. I think the relaxed atmosphere and the fact that things don't feel spanking brand new make it feel like home.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt E
Maidstone, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

From the get-go the customer service was excellent, being moved from our initial unit to a sister resort immediately with no question after we raised the issues we had.

It is these issue though, that warrant the two-star rating. The unit we were allocated was dark, badly dated and smelly (very musky and unpleasant). There was a substantial crack running along the wall which we felt the need to alert management to as it was not the kind of thing one would simply ignore. The pullout bed was extremely uncomfortable to lay on (I did not sleep on it though, I speak merely of my experience laying on it for 10 minutes) as was the main bed. The kitchen looked fine until any use of it was attempted, where a cooker ring could be pulled completely out without any effort. The wall plugs in many rooms were caked in what appeared to be render, which seemed to me to be a hazard (though I'm no electrician). In the shower room the small window had been replaced by a piece of cheap and flimsy plastic which could be popped out with ease.

The grounds were lovely and well kept and the staff very helpful and friendly but unless the units undergo full renovations then I'd never consider this resort again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Ollie G
jsromine, Owner at Sunrise Garden Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
It does not seem ethical that 2 reviews can be posted from the same family that did not even stay with us. This review is written by the son of the reviewer just three posts prior to this one. Apparently he, and he made this known in a prior review that Tripadvisor removed, took exception to our response to his mother's review and felt like he needed to add basically the same thing that his mother said.
Our hope is other Tripadvisor readers would see that 2 negative reviews from 1 family that did not even stay with us not only does not give a good account for what we stand for as a hotel and business, but it is simply not fair.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Sunrise Garden Resort is the perfect place to stay for families like us (which doesn't mean I wouldn't love to go just with my husband or even by myself!) - close to the beaches, the pier, shopping, restaurants... Cathryn and Amanda, the two managers, are super nice and helpful and take care of every request immediately. I come here often and think that you don't get a better value for your money anywhere else on the island. It's clean, updated, great to have a nicely equipped kitchen and the pool is great to hang out in for our two boys after a day on the beach. Also the landscaping is beautiful and tropical. We will hopefully be coming back here many years to come and recommend it to all of our friends as well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Birgittvanwormer
kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

On arrival I was given the key to my room, it smelt, there was a crack in the wall that ran the lenth of the lounge which was also a bedroom with a sofa bed that in my opinion should have been replaced years ago as it slopped down so your head was much lower than the rest of your body and you could feel all the metal through the thin mattress, the bed in the other bedroom was no better, there was no way we could sleep on these beds,
I checked out the bathroom to find the window was missing and had been replaced by a piece of loose plastic( falling out) I then noticed that the cooker had an electric ring hanging out of it, so dangerous , we did not stay the night here nor would I recommend that anyone else should.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Bruces-girl
jsromine, Owner at Sunrise Garden Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Whenever a negative review comes up, it is always tough to swallow. While we strive for excellence in all things that we do, we do realize there are times we will fall short and a guest is not happy. Fortunately those times are rare, but when that does happen, we always choose to recognize our shortcomings and are quick to apologize.
This review, however, is different. We feel attacked and are thankful we can respond in order to give our side.
Upon a phone introduction with this reviewer after she initially booked, the first thing she let us know was that she is a "Tripadvisor Writer". She let off a vibe that she felt entitled and that maybe, just by saying Tripadvisor, we would give her something extra. Let me pause briefly to say I love Tripadvisor as it gives an excellent forum for travelers. I use it personally whenever I travel, but it is always a tad bit frustrating when, as a hotelier, someone utters Tripadvisor on introduction in a, for lack of a better word, threatening way. As any good hotel should, we treat all of our guests the same: excellent customer service no matter if you leave a review at every restaurant and hotel you patronize or if you have never touched a computer in your life.

After our introduction, she let us know that she is traveling with her adult son who needs a good night's sleep and questioned if our sleeper sofa could provide this. I will be very honest and frank here: sleeper sofas are not made for comfortable nights! Our sleeper sofas are more than adequate for children, but any adult looking for a comfortable night's rest should rent a room with 2 beds in them. When questioned on the sleeper sofa, we were very open and honest with her and encouraged her that it might be best to find a 2 bedroom for her family. So with this, we were not only honest, but wanted her to be happy...even if that meant we would lose business. That is an example of how serious we take our desire for the guest to be happy.

She refused and said she wanted to stay with us. Candidly speaking, I believe she looked at 2 bedrooms on the island before she booked with us and saw the higher rates. She then booked a 1 bedroom suite (ie a cheaper rate than a 2 bedroom would be) with us and hoping we would upgrade her to a 2 bedroom by uttering the word Tripadvisor. Since our one unit that is a two bedroom was booked, we could not offer her this. Nevertheless, we felt as though we had set expectations correctly which is what 99.9% of travelers hope for.

So the day she arrived, we walked her to her room. She was in there just a few minutes and let us know that "this will not work". The things she pointed out on her review, in my opinion, are misleading. The sleeper sofa, which I already alluded to, is adequate for children, not adults. I believe her mindset was just thinking for her adult son. The queen mattress in the bedroom is less than a year old and is a pillow top. We have never had a complaint about it and, in fact, have had many compliments on it. The electrical issue she mentioned was a burner on the stove that was not in the socket. While it should have been, and we apologize for that, it did take us less than 3 seconds to correct. I honestly have no idea what she is referring to with the window in the bathroom. It is glass and it is insulting to think we would use plastic. Trust me when I say we would not have 96% of our reviews be 4 and 5 stars if we had plastic windows. The room did not smell. In fact, we had another couple book the room the next day and loved it.
I believe this was a classic case of one thing not working out for her, so she started trying to nit pick on everything else.

So, here is the interesting part. We did give her a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom that we had available at our sister property. It is rarely available, but since it was in this case, we felt like it was a nice and easy option. We did this not because we felt like she would leave a bad review; but because we like happy people. She took the upgrade and seemed to have a great stay. So, she never stayed at Sunrise Garden, got a free upgrade to a two bedroom, and still left a bad review. She actually wrote an initial review for Sunrise Garden where she gave us 2 stars. We protested it though, as it was obvious it did not meet Tripadvisor guidelines and they agreed and took down the review. Apparently she got wind of this and did not like it and wrote another one...and dropped us a star. She changed the wording and it met Tripadvisor guidelines.

In conclusion, we want all of our guests to be happy and will do anything we can to make this happen. It is sad to say, but we did everything we could and this is how she responded.
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I wanted a quick get away for the weekend and found this hotel on the website. The location is perfect and real quiet. Only a stone's throw from the pier and bay. Then a bike ride away to the other side to the white sandy beach. This is my first trip to AMI. I live here in Florida and have been on many trip beach get-aways. The pool was nice, parking was plenty. The suite #12 was spacious and very clean. And the best part about this place is Cathryn, who worked at the office and took care of me like a family member. Had the best time and and now consider this resort my new home away from home.

Room Tip: Cathryn can help you find the best room, she was able to give me good references on restaurants.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
#5 of 15 in Holmes Beach
BridgeWalk a Landmark Resort
BridgeWalk a Landmark Resort
#1 of 12 in Bradenton Beach

Been to Sunrise Garden Resort? Share your experiences!