“Good service, shocking units”

Sunrise Garden Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Anna Maria
Reviewed January 2, 2014

From the get-go the customer service was excellent, being moved from our initial unit to a sister resort immediately with no question after we raised the issues we had.

It is these issue though, that warrant the two-star rating. The unit we were allocated was dark, badly dated and smelly (very musky and unpleasant). There was a substantial crack running along the wall which we felt the need to alert management to as it was not the kind of thing one would simply ignore. The pullout bed was extremely uncomfortable to lay on (I did not sleep on it though, I speak merely of my experience laying on it for 10 minutes) as was the main bed. The kitchen looked fine until any use of it was attempted, where a cooker ring could be pulled completely out without any effort. The wall plugs in many rooms were caked in what appeared to be render, which seemed to me to be a hazard (though I'm no electrician). In the shower room the small window had been replaced by a piece of cheap and flimsy plastic which could be popped out with ease.

The grounds were lovely and well kept and the staff very helpful and friendly but unless the units undergo full renovations then I'd never consider this resort again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Ollie G
jsromine, Owner at Sunrise Garden Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

It does not seem ethical that 2 reviews can be posted from the same family that did not even stay with us. This review is written by the son of the reviewer just three posts prior to this one. Apparently he, and he made this known in a prior review that Tripadvisor removed, took exception to our response to his mother's review and felt like he needed to add basically the same thing that his mother said.
Our hope is other Tripadvisor readers would see that 2 negative reviews from 1 family that did not even stay with us not only does not give a good account for what we stand for as a hotel and business, but it is simply not fair.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Sunrise Garden Resort is the perfect place to stay for families like us (which doesn't mean I wouldn't love to go just with my husband or even by myself!) - close to the beaches, the pier, shopping, restaurants... Cathryn and Amanda, the two managers, are super nice and helpful and take care of every request immediately. I come here often and think that you don't get a better value for your money anywhere else on the island. It's clean, updated, great to have a nicely equipped kitchen and the pool is great to hang out in for our two boys after a day on the beach. Also the landscaping is beautiful and tropical. We will hopefully be coming back here many years to come and recommend it to all of our friends as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Birgittvanwormer
Reviewed December 24, 2013

On arrival I was given the key to my room, it smelt, there was a crack in the wall that ran the lenth of the lounge which was also a bedroom with a sofa bed that in my opinion should have been replaced years ago as it slopped down so your head was much lower than the rest of your body and you could feel all the metal through the thin mattress, the bed in the other bedroom was no better, there was no way we could sleep on these beds,
I checked out the bathroom to find the window was missing and had been replaced by a piece of loose plastic( falling out) I then noticed that the cooker had an electric ring hanging out of it, so dangerous , we did not stay the night here nor would I recommend that anyone else should.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Bruces-girl
jsromine, Owner at Sunrise Garden Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Whenever a negative review comes up, it is always tough to swallow. While we strive for excellence in all things that we do, we do realize there are times we will fall short and a guest is not happy. Fortunately those times are rare, but when that does happen, we always choose to recognize our shortcomings and are quick to apologize.
This review, however, is different. We feel attacked and are thankful we can respond in order to give our side.
Upon a phone introduction with this reviewer after she initially booked, the first thing she let us know was that she is a "Tripadvisor Writer". She let off a vibe that she felt entitled and that maybe, just by saying Tripadvisor, we would give her something extra. Let me pause briefly to say I love Tripadvisor as it gives an excellent forum for travelers. I use it personally whenever I travel, but it is always a tad bit frustrating when, as a hotelier, someone utters Tripadvisor on introduction in a, for lack of a better word, threatening way. As any good hotel should, we treat all of our guests the same: excellent customer service no matter if you leave a review at every restaurant and hotel you patronize or if you have never touched a computer in your life.

After our introduction, she let us know that she is traveling with her adult son who needs a good night's sleep and questioned if our sleeper sofa could provide this. I will be very honest and frank here: sleeper sofas are not made for comfortable nights! Our sleeper sofas are more than adequate for children, but any adult looking for a comfortable night's rest should rent a room with 2 beds in them. When questioned on the sleeper sofa, we were very open and honest with her and encouraged her that it might be best to find a 2 bedroom for her family. So with this, we were not only honest, but wanted her to be happy...even if that meant we would lose business. That is an example of how serious we take our desire for the guest to be happy.

She refused and said she wanted to stay with us. Candidly speaking, I believe she looked at 2 bedrooms on the island before she booked with us and saw the higher rates. She then booked a 1 bedroom suite (ie a cheaper rate than a 2 bedroom would be) with us and hoping we would upgrade her to a 2 bedroom by uttering the word Tripadvisor. Since our one unit that is a two bedroom was booked, we could not offer her this. Nevertheless, we felt as though we had set expectations correctly which is what 99.9% of travelers hope for.

So the day she arrived, we walked her to her room. She was in there just a few minutes and let us know that "this will not work". The things she pointed out on her review, in my opinion, are misleading. The sleeper sofa, which I already alluded to, is adequate for children, not adults. I believe her mindset was just thinking for her adult son. The queen mattress in the bedroom is less than a year old and is a pillow top. We have never had a complaint about it and, in fact, have had many compliments on it. The electrical issue she mentioned was a burner on the stove that was not in the socket. While it should have been, and we apologize for that, it did take us less than 3 seconds to correct. I honestly have no idea what she is referring to with the window in the bathroom. It is glass and it is insulting to think we would use plastic. Trust me when I say we would not have 96% of our reviews be 4 and 5 stars if we had plastic windows. The room did not smell. In fact, we had another couple book the room the next day and loved it.
I believe this was a classic case of one thing not working out for her, so she started trying to nit pick on everything else.

So, here is the interesting part. We did give her a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom that we had available at our sister property. It is rarely available, but since it was in this case, we felt like it was a nice and easy option. We did this not because we felt like she would leave a bad review; but because we like happy people. She took the upgrade and seemed to have a great stay. So, she never stayed at Sunrise Garden, got a free upgrade to a two bedroom, and still left a bad review. She actually wrote an initial review for Sunrise Garden where she gave us 2 stars. We protested it though, as it was obvious it did not meet Tripadvisor guidelines and they agreed and took down the review. Apparently she got wind of this and did not like it and wrote another one...and dropped us a star. She changed the wording and it met Tripadvisor guidelines.

In conclusion, we want all of our guests to be happy and will do anything we can to make this happen. It is sad to say, but we did everything we could and this is how she responded.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I wanted a quick get away for the weekend and found this hotel on the website. The location is perfect and real quiet. Only a stone's throw from the pier and bay. Then a bike ride away to the other side to the white sandy beach. This is my first trip to AMI. I live here in Florida and have been on many trip beach get-aways. The pool was nice, parking was plenty. The suite #12 was spacious and very clean. And the best part about this place is Cathryn, who worked at the office and took care of me like a family member. Had the best time and and now consider this resort my new home away from home.

Room Tip: Cathryn can help you find the best room, she was able to give me good references on restaurants.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mary L
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I had the chance of staying here for one week which was AWESOME!! The weather was perfect. The resort is located one block from the beach as well as shopping and restaurants. Everything is within walking distance from the resort. We intitially planned on only staying here for a couple days however once he realized how nice the resort was, and reasonably priced, we decided to stay for one week. I spoke with Amanda, resort manager, and informed her of our decision to stay longer however the poolside cottage we were staying in was already booked for the remainder of the week. Amanda assured us she would do everything possible to accomodate us. We ended up staying in the Owners Suite which was phenominal!! Our cottage and suite was equipped with everything we needed such as cookware/plates/silverware ect.The resort is super clean and the staff was professional and friendly. The resort has a nice heated pool as well as laundry facilities which were free to guests (laundry soap was also provided free of cost). Everything was clean and perfect. One thing is for sure, we plan on staying here again next year as we plan on making Anna Maria Island and Sunrise Garden Resort a frequent stop. Thanks again to Amanda and her staff for making our trip one to remember.... See ya soon!!!

Eddie A

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eddie A
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I had such a wonderful experience at this resort. I loved the location being on the quiet side of the island and not far from the water. Everyone was very friendly and helpful from the beginning of the reservation experience all the way through to departure. I loved my room, having taken the advice of staying on the ground floor with nothing above me. Everything was very clean - and yes, despite what the local Floridian claimed about roaches not being present unless there's food around for a long time, they were probably palmetto bugs that will wander in just like the geckos and lizards will. I never saw any bugs. The furniture was very comfortable and the appearance of every room was pleasant. My outdoor patio area was cozy and semi-private. Love the pool and gorgeous landscaping. Unfortunately someone who wasn't even a guest parked a rented golf cart in the parking area and plugged it into the resort's electrical outlet to charge and in the process, hit our vehicle. The parking was sometimes a challenge. I wanted to come back for Thanksgiving but that day was not going to be staffed so I was not able to check in on that day. I had to make other arrangements. But I will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank luckydotty
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My husband, 3 children and I stayed here this past (summer 2013). We stay in AMI several times a year since it's just a 3 hour drive and have LOVED every other place we have stayed. We were in the "Owners Suite" and as soon as we walked in, we noticed how filthy the floor was. Immediately my daughter came to me with dirt, sand, food etc on the bottom of her feet just from walking through the kitchen. There were food/drink splatters all over the bottom of cabinets and walls all throughout the unit. The bathroom had hair in the corners, really disgusting. The baseboards looked as though they had never been wiped off. Even my kids who were 6, 8 and 9 all said that the "house" was dirty and they are kids!! There was a cockroach in the shower and a lizard in the kitchen. Living in Florida myself, I know the lizards get in occasionally but cockroaches are not normal unless your place is dirty or have left food out for a long period of time. We do have high expectations for cleanliness and have not had any problems with the houses we have rented on AMI but we would definitely not return to Sunrise G. My husband, who really doesn't care about cleanliness, even said he felt uncomfortable in the bathroom. I'm really shocked by all the great reviews...we even moved to another unit after 2 nights in the OS, and found the same conditions there as well. The ladies in the front office were sweet and helpful at least.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank A8319UHlisab
jsromine, Owner at Sunrise Garden Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Here on Anna Maria Island we do have plenty of geckos and, when the weather is as nice as it is in the summertime, our guests do enjoy leaving their doors open to let in the fresh air! When the doors are left open some of the geckos do sneak in and while some guests are not used to them, they are harmless and are often found in sunny Florida.
As far as the unit not being as clean as you had hoped for, this is difficult for us to understand as our office staff inspects each unit after housekeeping cleans the room. It also should be pointed out that other reviewers, such as Pamela L on Sept 27th have stated, our rooms are "great and very clean". Another reviewer named LindaN commented on Sept 4 that our property is "pristine". It should also be noted that our "Cleanliness" rating on Tripadvisor is a 5 out of 5.
Cleanliness is something we take great pride in and we are surprised to read your review since we were never notified of any issue while you were on property. The guest changed rooms not because of any complaint we received from them, but it had been already scheduled as the Owner's Suite was only available for a certain amount of time for these guests. Please be assured that if any issues had been brought to our attention they would have immediately been attended to as we put a great emphasis on service and making sure every single guest is pleased and feeling like they are getting a great value. And because our desire is for guests to get this great value, we are constantly looking for ways to improve. This fall we have been putting fresh paint in many of the guest rooms along with offering even more improvements to the exterior and the pool area.
Lastly, there is some comfort, albeit a very small amount, when looking at the other hotel reviews this guest has left. Of the other 8 reviews, 6 of them have titles that include such phrases as: "Disappointed", "Needs TLC", and "Overrated". While we absolutely hate that she was not happy with her stay with us, there is some solace seeing that she has a hard time finding hotels that meets her approval.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Anna Maria
#5 of 9 in Bradenton Beach
Bungalow Beach Resort
Bungalow Beach Resort
#2 of 3 in Anna Maria

Been to Sunrise Garden Resort? Share your experiences!