“"Our 25th anniversary @ Anna Maria Island"”

Sunrise Garden Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Anna Maria
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight at Sunrise Garden to celebrate our silver anniversary. This is perfect for couples looking for a quiet, private and relaxing place to stay. We enjoyed the pool and the beautiful landscaping. Nearby shopping, restaurants, bike rentals and the Pier.Laundry facilities free of charge. Management staff was very helpful (Amanda and Katherine). We really enjoyed our stay !!!

Room Tip: Upstairs unit #15 close to the parking, overlook the pool and gives you more privacy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 156Elsa
There are newer reviews for Sunrise Garden Resort

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel is great for any one who wants a nice quiet place away from the touristy destinations further south. Anna Maria Island is a place where people actually live, it is a community. The hotel reflects that, it is small and private, everything you need, but not a bunch of stuff you will not use. Each room is different, and like a home each has its own personality. They are all clean, quiet, and well stocked so all you have to do is relax. Katherine is a jewel, so very nice, very good local knowledge and so helpful.

Room Tip: I think going off season is best. If you are traveling with kids, book the two bed room. They have a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark J
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at the Sunrise Garden resort in September for 1 week as part of our honeymoon. The resort is truly beautiful. The pool and surrounding areas are covered with palm trees and has a relaxing and peaceful vibe. But unfortunately I must say, we were really disappointed with our room.

We arrived late on the Sunday and picked up our room key from the collection box with a nice welcome note and map of the resort. Initial thoughts on the apartment were that it was a lot smaller than it appeared on the website. I went to unpack but soon found out that we didn't have any hangers, so I waited till the next morning and went to the front desk who were happy to help. It was annoying having to leave everything in the suitcase over night though. The fridge/freezer is ridiculously loud. Even in our bedroom with the door shut we could still hear it! Was even contemplating unplugging it at night. The air con was also really loud so also had to leave this off overnight.

The bed linen was absolutely awful. It was clear that it hadn't been replaced in years as the duvet cover was faded and covered in bobbles from continuous wear and tear, and the pillowcases were thin and were ripped in places. I felt so repulsed I had to rip them off and we slept with a sheet. It's such a shame as the bed itself was really comfortable with lovely soft pillows. The walls are extremely thin, which resulted in us not sleeping well for 3 nights in a row. There was a wedding on the beach and some of the guests who were staying in the apartment next to us came back drunk and noisy. Even my husband who's a very heavy sleeper woke up numerous times.

The shower was useless. There are 2 shower heads for some reason, one was permanent hot, so couldn't use it. The other wasn't powerful, and literally took 5-10 mins to warm up. I had to make sure I put it at the correct temperature, because if not I had to then wait a few mins to wait for it to change!! Frustrating to say the least. Also the tiles and cracked and some have holes at the bottom full of mould. The shower curtain also had mould on at the bottom. What's wrong with a glass shower screen?

The wifi is rubbish!! It only works the second I stepped outside the door of the apartment or by the pool area. So annoying as the patio area is full of mosquitoes so I got bitten everything I went on the internet. It would of been nice if the staff could of sprayed around the doors etc. I was covered in bites the day I left. Mosquitos thrive in the trees and plants especially with he recent wet and humid conditions.

The general decor of the apartment is extremely tired and dated. I totally get the laid back floridan style but it desperately needs an update. The sofa is cringy to look at and the random old flowers on the wall are just awful. It also felt very dull, more lighting us definitely needed. I didn't understand whet the back door was for! it didn't lead to anything.

I've read a few reviews on here criticising the location, but personally I think it's in a great location. It's at the quiet part of the island and close to the beach and piers. I love the location, but will not be returning to the resort. It is not worth $110/$140 a night that's for sure.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank charibelle
Reviewed September 18, 2013

a tropial jewel tucked in a quaint little town. Within walking distance to great restaurants, fishing piers and unusual shops.
The efficiencys are cozy and clean. Amanda the manager is friendly and egar to help in anyway she can.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for five days, we initially booked three and extended our stay, this decision was based on the beauty of Anna Marie island more than the accomodation.
Don't be fooled by the tag 'resort', this is a small enclave of units surrounding a pool area. We stayed in the rooks nest above the office, a great space if you are not above 5ft, however if like us you are nearing 6ft tall you have a limited amount of space you can stand up in, the bathroom not being one of them!
The room was clean, towel supply in the store was great, bed comfortable although quilts would be better. There isn't really any point commenting on the noise from other units, nothing, and I mean nothing could possible be louder than the AC Unit. It was not functioning correctly in that no matter what temperature you set it at it was freezing. If you turned it off at the power switch which we did so we could warm up the noise does not abate as the motor continues to run. After five days I now feel like I have tinnitus! Overall, good clean accomodation at a good price on a beautiful island, just not somewhere you would stay for more than a few days.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

This is stay #4! Can't say enough good things. We love it here! We are already planning 2 visits for next summer/fall. Have given out info to many friends. We would recommend it to anyone, without hesitation! Many thanks to Spence & Catherine for another great stay!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DebbyK
Reviewed September 4, 2013

To be fair to the place, there really are no hotel options on the island, as most of the properties are privately owned then haphazardly managed/rented-out

That said, I dont understand these reviews ... having stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn in TReasure Island immediately before coming here (which is also rated as a 3-star hotel) and being a very experience traveler ... this is NOT a 3-star hotel and the comparison isnt even close ... this place is a pretty much a motel (maybe a half step above that if you are being generous)

Pros:
- well ... its on a quiet street, on the quiet end of the island (we found the Brdenton Beach end to be especially noisy & not the vacation we had in mind)
- next door to the best restaurant on the island (in our opinion)

Cons:
- its a long walk to the beach so if you want to carry heavy stuff, be forewarned
- rooms are dated & some of the furniture is pretty worn (saggy bed was the worst)
- absolutely no housekeeping ... that alone makes this NOT a hotel
- paper thin walls & could hear the people above us marching across the floor
- wifi isnt great ... its there, but has periods of going in & out

The mitigant to this review is that there just arent any options (that i could find) on Anna Maria island for proper hotel-quality accommodations

Lovely island but we wont be back unless we can get a beachfront room at proper hotel (perhaps the Mainsail Inn?)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DQC_76
jsromine, Owner at Sunrise Garden Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Expectations are everything in business, especially in the hospitality business. We feel as though our great reviews come from setting the right expectations along with giving a great value to our guests. Sadly, this guest did not have the correct expectations when staying with us and we apologize for that.
Anna Maria Island is certainly a unique place that has a cozy feel to it that most people seem to appreciate. With no chain hotels and nothing but locally owned restaurants, the island certainly has a laid back vibe to it that you simply cannot find in the States any longer. While the thought of that is GREAT, we have found there are a select few who simply would rather be in a more commercialized vacation spot.
Most hotels on the island, especially on the north side, are much like the Sunrise Garden in that they are not right on the beach, do not have daily maid service, and, since the island, for the most part, prohibits new construction on hotels, are older motels that have been revitalized.
It is surprising that this guest brought up that we were not on the beach...not that we try to hide from that, but that is mentioned in several reviews (I am assuming this guest read those reviews as mention was made) that give us 5 stars due to our excellent location to restaurants, shops, and the pier. As for bedding, we have pillow top mattresses that have all been purchased within the last 2 years...maybe this reviewer would have preferred a firm mattress?
Lastly, I will confirm that there are places on the island that are right on the beach that maybe this guest would stay at (one was mentioned in the review) but they will also be charged 3 times as much as we charge. A guest's happiness is all about the value they receive and we think that is why people come back to see us multiple times a year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Anna Maria
#6 of 16 in Holmes Beach
BridgeWalk a Landmark Resort
BridgeWalk a Landmark Resort
#2 of 11 in Bradenton Beach

Been to Sunrise Garden Resort? Share your experiences!