“Bad, really really bad”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Holmes Beach, Florida
“Bad, really really bad”
Reviewed July 3, 2010

My husband and I live locally and couldn't wait to try this highly acclaimed place. We went for our anniversary for a special "top notch" gourmet meal. The service was horribly slow, and the place seemed dirty; how much effort does it really take to make sure that the windows next to a table are clean? My husband got a steak with green peppercorn sauce which was a "special" on the menu......not good, enough said plus, I believe that we were charged $30 plus for this entree. I got a light fare menu item which was salmon oscar; the fish was cooked fine but what was on top was undistinguishable. I asked for a substitute for the potatoe side that it came with, and was told I'd be charged extra; I went with the potatoes and, I kid you not, there were two little one inch red potatoes on each of our plates. The bill was over $100.00 (oh, and the wine is way overpriced); I'm thinking we'll NEVER go back.

4 Thank AMIRES

Lima, Ohio
“Key. Lime. Pie.”
Reviewed June 20, 2010

If you have key lime pie on your trip to Holmes Beach/Anna Maria Island, you should skip everywhere else and head straight to the Sign of the Mermaid. It was the best pie ever, hands down. Tart, sweet, and old fashioned (read: not cheesecake) with the custard and meringue. Delicious.

Florida City, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, large portions, get the right server.”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We've been to the Sign of the Mermaid many times. Some of the reviews lately have been disappointing. The food for us has always been good, the service sporadic. One night we had a wonderful and knowledgeable (female) server, and another night- a complete stiff who knew nothing of the wine, food, or pretty much anything. He finally flagged down our previous server for suggestions of wine. She was very helpful! We should have asked for her. - The food was great!! Try this restaurant but hope that you get a good server.

central Florida
“This use to be a favorite, but no longer”
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We have been dinning here for 4 years, and just purchased a home within walking distance. We like to support local business, but this one is not keeping up the consistency with the food and most of all the staff is rude and lazy. Which was a direct result on our dinning experience. We gave them a second chance 4 times in the past 2 months. For the price, the Beach Bistro wins hands down in every category, spend your money where it is appreciated. Sign of the Mermaid is a nice place for dessert, but leave it at that.....Sorry!

3 Thank 161mr
Suttons Bay
“So Bad, It's Sad”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We have been vacationing on Anna Maria for many years and
have been to Sign of the Mermaid several times in the past. It USED TO BE pretty good. Something very bad has happened there this year and it is permanently off my list.
They were not busy tonight, so, I don’t think being over-crowded had anything to do with what happened. My wife ordered a piece of grilled fish and I ordered a Caesar salad with shrimp. After nearly an hour wait, and no sign of our waiter, I got up from the table to ask the hostess what the problem was. Our meals showed up a few minutes later. My wife’s fish was mushy, over- cooked slop and the vegetables with it were also severely overcooked and they actually served them with burns showing on the plate. My $13 “Caesar with Grilled Shrimp” consisted of a few pieces of wilted/brown-hued iceburg lettuce with some hot,oily shrimp tossed on top and enough croutons to feed an army. When I asked our waiter to send the manager over – he was candid enough to tell me there was no manager. I suppose that was part of the explanation. We spend our winters on the adjacent island and used to send our friends there. Won’t ever make that mistake again, nor will we ever go there again. It is so bad, it is beyond help. We sent our meals back and our waiter apologized as we left. Still no sign of anyone in charge as we walked out the door. Avoid at all costs. P.S. It is also extremely dirty throughout the premises. Yuk!!!

3 Thank TomSuttonsBay