“Gem”

Sign of The Mermaid
Ranked #13 of 23 Restaurants in Anna Maria
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Boston, MA
“Gem”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Food was exceptional. I had squash blossoms stuffed with goat cheese which were just fantastic. I also had Cobia which was perfectly cooked but the Caribbean preparation was a bit odd, almost like a stir fry. I should have just had it grilled or blackened. My wife had the famous Lady Wellington which was another home run. We had desserts to go. I've actually had the Key Lime Pie before and found it overly sweet. I had another pie this time and same conclusion. However I did eat the whole huge slice :). Service was kind of laid back but very polite. My kids spilled water all over the place and they were very nice about it.

Overall, a real winner.

Sacramento, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Key Lime Pie!!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stopped in last night to pick up some key lime pie to take home and it was delicious! Best dessert on the island!

Visited April 2014
New York City, New York
“Worst dinner in a long time!”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I was very disappointed with both the service and the quality of the food. We arrived for our reservation and no one even acknowledged our presence with at least an I will be right with you. Finally someone greeted us at 710p for a 7p reservation. We were escorted to a table next to the bathrooms and you could smell the disinfectant. We declined the seats and were moved to a corner table in what felt like a little cubicle. It took some time before a waiter finally arrived. He took our drink order and there was another long period before the drinks arrived. I ordered Phyllo pockets with spinach and cheese which were very good. This was followed by an order of crab cakes which were the worst I have ever tasted. Typically a good crab cake is light and fluffy filled with chunks of crabmeat bound lightly and fried. These were fried but the inside was ground mush. I could not detect any solid crab meat chunks. The outside was soft indicating they had been prepared earlier and were on a steam table. My husband ordered the pasta with seafood. I tasted the pasta and it was very soft (overcooked) and the seafood was not the chunks of scallop, shrimp or swordfish but some unknown fish which was not edible. He did not eat his at all. I ate one and brought the other two home for my dogs. At no time, did the server follow up to see if everything was okay. When we told him at the time we requested the check that the food was inedible, he did not offer to replace it with another item. He did not even reply with an apology. We had ordered another wine which never arrived so we cancelled that. We did not stay for dessert as I had no expectation that this would be better than the entrees. I am truly sorry to have to be so critical as we had enjoyed dinner here last year. I do not know if they changed the chef or management but it was a totally different experience. I will never return here.

4 Thank dirma
Garfield, New Jersey
“Best Meal on the Island”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Loved everything about this place! The cozy and kitschy atmosphere and the wonderful smells that hit you as soon as you walk in!

We had the AMAZING baked Brie!
French onion soup ----- delist
Chicken cordon blue --------WOW

Service was excellent and wine was a generous pour!!
Tempted to go back before we head home!!!

Visited April 2014
Vernon, Connecticut
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We went there three times in one week as we were on vacation. 4/6, 4/7 and 4/11. The atmosphere is very nice and cozy. Each meal was marvelous! There was nothing that we could find that we didn't like. They have many specials each day and there is something on the menu for everyone. We sampled the beef, chicken and of course the seafood. They offer 2 sizes for each entry. The small size was more than enough for anyone. Simply excellent! The service was superb. Ed is a "Rembrandt" of cooking. Each dish comes to the table hot and delicious! The deserts were wonderful. Key Lime Pie that has won awards. The white chocolate cheesecake and the chocolate torte with raspberry sauce was absolutely delicious! We highly recommend you try this restaurant. You will not be sorry! Can't wait to go back.