“One of a kind!!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed February 19, 2014

On one of our last days on the island we stopped by the pier for breakfast. We got there on a weekday by 8 am and within minutes the place was filled. So go early! They had just reopened after a Fall fire.so we lucked out on timing. The place looks very much the same apparently an electric fire. The waitresses all had smiles and were clearly glad to be back. If you have never been place is all about the water views as everything else is basic. They are still getting up to snuff as i heard one waitress say they had no tea and jams and jellies were at a premium.. This will be corrected easily. My husband ordered their seafood omelet which was truly loaded with wonderful seafood, choice of breads and home fries or fresh fruit salad at $12.95. It is most expensive item on breakfast menu and all else are normally priced. We both enjoyed our breakfasts. I had side of bacon, home fries and texas toast. Coffee is good and constantly refilled. They have a bar right on pier level that is small and cool also with great views. Great for a drink but they serve anything on upstairs menu there too. Caveat for those with mobility issues as there are a steep set of stairs to access the restaurant. Do not miss experience..go into the bar instead! Highly recommend as it is an AMI experience not to miss!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,967)

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We lucked up in a spur of the moment decision to visit Anna Maria Island's Rod & Reel Pier restaurant, a small but charming seafood dive. When we arrived there we were informed that the restaurant had just reopened a few days prior to arrival after being closed because of major damage sustained from a fire. The restaurant is a little two story building with benches out front for visitors to sit and relax and enjoy the views of the Bay. There were also a number of people fishing off of the pier surrounding the restaurant. The bottom floor of the building has a tiny bar inside where you can order a drink and hang out while waiting to be called to your table. The upstairs houses the indoor/outdoor dining areas. We were told that there's usually a wait for a table, ours was approximately 20-25 minutes as we chose outside seating, and we visited on a Monday.

I ordered the fried Pollock and my husband had the Amberjack, a fish we had never heard of. Both were very good, especially the Amberjack which turned out to be a thick "meaty" white fish, which had a coconut coating and was served with a type of mango chutney. I believe they also offered it in a garlic sauce and a pecan coating as well. The portions were more than fair and decently priced. The Pollock came with about 5 pieces and sides for around $15, the Amberjack dinner was specially priced that day at around $18. The service was great, the food was great and the simplicity of Anna Maria Island was, well...great!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

The desk person at our hotel and the trolley driver said this is "the place" to have breakfast. Nice walk to the site helped work up an appetite. Ordered coconut cinnamon French toast. Not as I had envisioned it would be. No coconut ! The staff was polite and service good but the meal itself very ordinary and disappointing. Would I go back? Probably not. This island offers many restaurants and this one doesn't call me back.

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

The Rod and Reel has thankfully reopened as of February 7th. Have already visited 2x and was glad to see it's retained most of its charm. Food is still great though I did have some lukewarm eggs this morning....but I'm giving them a pass as I believe that the staff is getting used to the new place. Welcome back everyone!

1  Thank jebby2820
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Went here a couple of years ago and hasnt changed a bit. Its great for early morning breakfast if you are on Anna Maria I recommend you go here.

The French Toast is great!

4  Thank laurieruth25