“Sweet Old Place”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Los Angeles, California
“Sweet Old Place”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I love this place. I wiled away many hours fishing here when I was a kid. It was run at that time by "Capt." Frank Cavendish, who I think lived part time in the upstairs room that now houses the restaurant. With his pal, "Capt." Howard (co-captains of the good ship Booze All Day perhaps), Cavendish was a crusty old shark fisherman. He took great joy at yelling at kids like me, but he was an amazing cat.

I like this little restaurant. It's a great place to catch breakfast or lunch. It's gives a glimpse of what Florida was like back in the day.

They make a mean Grouper Sandwich. My wife says I should mention the cole slaw. So I am. Good stuff.

• Korean first
Riverview, Florida
“Affordable, good food, with friendly service and an amazing ambience”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have never, ever, been disappointed by a visit to this restaurant/fishing pier. Other than the time we were there late and had to sit inside. The view of Tampa Bay, the Sunshine Skyway, the islands stretching south from St. Pete, the shoreline of Anna Maria, and the fishermen, birds, fish, etc. All make a wonderful experiene. And the draft Mich Amber Bock on draft is $1.50!
Seafood can be fried or grilled, and they have quite a few non-seafood dishes.
I should mention that there is not a lot of parking, and it is shared with the fishermen!

• Visited January 2013
columbus,ohio
“Dinner in July, good food but ....”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We arrived right at 5pm, and were seated right away being the only people inside the indoor restaurant at the time. We ordered the fried grouper dinner and the garlic grouper dinner with cole slaw and fries, the food was very good but they served the cole slaw and the tarter sauce Luke warm.
I ask if possibly the slaw was just made which would explain why it was warm? But he said it was made that morning, and held in ice, and if you don't scoop it from the middle it sometimes isn't all that cold. So I sent back the slaw for a cold one. The tarter sauce was also room temp.
There food is excellent, the service was fine, but they need to watch there cold foods.

Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Long wait, decent food”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Boy it was such a long wait and then so hot in the sun ...good fish generally. But not as special as I had hoped. The place is rustic and old school, I get it, but it's a bit too much...could use just a little sprucing up. You sort of feel like the whole place is going to just fall like a house of cards. Wouldn't go back unless no wait and that isn't going to happen soon. Wish I could say differently.

Chicago, Illinois
“Dinner with a view”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great crunchy Grouper and sea scallops. Some outdoor tables. Inside seating is crowded but with a great view of the Gulf.

Visited July 2013