“You Can't Beat the View!”
Review of Sandbar Restaurant

Sandbar Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 24 Restaurants in Anna Maria
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Sandbar Restaurant, located on the north end of Anna Maria Island, has for decades been a favorite for locals. Dine with your toes in the sand and a drink in your hand on our waterfront deck or enjoy our inside dining room. We offer gulf to table, farm to fork, and pasture to plate sustainable menu items. Our menus reflect our commitment to serving our guests the best in local and sustainable seafood, produce, and land fare. The Sandbar is the most popular place on Anna Maria Island for beach weddings and sunset receptions. The award winning venue is perfect for intimate gatherings to elaborate affairs, especially weddings.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our second visit to The Sandbar on beautiful Anna Maria Island and it was everything we remembered on our first trip about five years ago.

We arrived about 45 minutes before sunset and were fortunate to find a table facing the beach. They've expanded the outside seating; a good thing, as most people opt to eat outside rather than in. Our friendly server greeted us and announced that we should enter the nightly contest predicting the official time for the setting of the sun and so, of course, we did.

We started the dinner with a smoked fish appetizer, served with crackers and capers. Both my partner and I enjoyed this prelude with our glasses of wine. As the sun began its descent, we placed an order for one of their signature salads: Wasabi Crusted Salmon Salad served with a ginger dressing. I chose the Grouper Reuben, another of their recommendations. My partner's salad was gone before I even had a chance to sample it; that speaks for itself. My grouper sandwich was good, but the accompaniments (sauerkraut, dressing and cheese) made the bread soggy and messy. Next time I'll just order the grilled grouper as it was outstanding.

Be prepared to spend more than you planned at this spot. There aren't any reduced drink and/or food prices on the menu. Our appetizer, dinners, and wine came to $78 before the tip. But they didn't charge for the spectacular sunset so I guess you could say the entertainment was free!

Did we win the sunset time contest? We were off by 1 minute and 10 seconds...maybe next time!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,106)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had drinks here on three or four occasions and lunch once. Here's my thoughts - nice beach bar, but a little uptight. Lots of rules about shoes, shirts, where you can drink...in general everyone in there is fully clothed, even though it's on the beach. Having traveled to many Caribbean beaches, this sort of surprised me. Anyway, service was always friendly, food was good, drinks were very good.

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We have been here several times over the last 15 years. The last two times - 4 years apart - just for coffee/drinks. Made to feel as though we shouldn't be there. No smiling face, not customer friendly. More or less had my change thrown at me. The staff there should go to the Gulf Drive Cafe down the road to learn how to serve great food with a smile and fast service. We were planning to go there enroute to Airport but definitely will give it a miss.

JoeRogers, General Manager at Sandbar Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

I want to apologize for your recent experience you had at the Sandbar Restaurant. Whether you are with us for coffee and drinks or a 4 course dinner all our guests should recieve the same friendly, efficient service we are known for. I appreciate you taking the time to review us and I will contact you in order to get more details on your experience. Sincerely, Joe Rogers General Manager Sandbar Restaurant

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Enjoyed the gorgeous view during a quick trip. We sat outside and watched a wedding while we ate. The food was just ok nothing I would write home about. Maybe it was an off day maybe not. We are not picky when it comes to food but it has to be cooked properly. Sent back raw fish. Drinks were delish so that made up for it. Fun location not sure if we would return for dinner.

I want to thank you for your recent visit and review of the Sandbar Restaurant. We strive to make all our guests time with us memorable with outstanding food, service, and an unmatched view. I apologize that your visit didn't live up to our standards. Please feel free to ask for me on your next visit and I'll have my chef prepare a sampling of some of our finest offerings. Sincerely, Joe Rogers General Manager Sandbar Restaurant

Reviewed November 2, 2012

An excellent beach setting - you can dine al fresco with your toes in the sand or on decking. The view is wonderful - long stretch of sandy beach with few people and lots of birds. Menu is varied and there is something for everyone. We had fish and we were not disappointed. Lovely. We all thought the pricing reasonable for its location and quality. We have visited this restaurant before so made a point of going there again and taking along some friends - it did not disappoint.