“I'm craving it now”

Poppo's Taqueria
Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Anna Maria
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Fast Food
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“I'm craving it now”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

My family and I (wife, two kids 7 and under) were on the island in April 2013. Long wait at one of our favorite restaurants, so we started driving back towards Holmes beach when I spotted a sign on a pretty building that I had never seen before. Something about a taqueria. What?!

Kids getting antsy, wife and I are starving. Let's turn around and check it out.

Glad we did, because this place was terrific.

Let me first address another review that claims this place has adequate Mexican food but too expensive and small portions. I don't know what you were expecting, but for Mexican street food it is FAR beyond adequate. Everything on the island is overpriced. Relatively speaking, this is a tremendous bargain. Since when is one taco, anywhere, ever enough? Get real.

Moving on.

We ordered the following:

2 Quesadillas (corn shells) with shredded pork and two kids bowls with shredded pork, rice and beans. The meat and toppings are up to the customer and include honeylime cabbage (shredded red cabbage with, I'm assuming, some sort of honey/lime vinaigrette - awesome), black or refried beans, salsa (green - spicy or red - mild), 2 cheeses, cilantro, guacamole, sour cream, brown or white rice, lime wedge, and others (can't remember).

We got the pork (loved it; tasted slightly smoky), but they also have beef and some sort of marinated soy protein or tofu junk (maybe it's delicious, but I'll never know).

The quesadilla shells were fried with monterrey jack cheese in back and filled in front of us by the man behind the counter based on our selections.

The service we received was definitely "island friendly" - pleasant and laid back.

For drinks they have an assortment of Mexican pop, including Coca Cola with real sugar and some others (red, orange, etc.), and beers. We ordered a bottled water, beer and orange pop. Our meal came out to somewhere between $20-25.

We came back the next night and sent a bunch of people we met at the beach there as well. Every single one of them told us how much they loved it.

Bottom line - this is a great place for an honest-to-goodness, super fresh, slightly upscale Mexican street food experience. Relatively speaking, it was a great value. The staff is super friendly, family-oriented and we will be back whenever we're back on the island (which is at least once a year)!

Best of luck to the family that runs the place - hope to see you again soon.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank mcb3000

Denver, Colorado
“The island version of Chipotle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Tale the fresh ingredients of Chipotle, add the friendliness of an independently run endeavor and you've got a great option for a fast lunch.

Visited April 2013
Bremen, Germany
“Adequate Mexican food but too expensive, small portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

The food is adequate but there is not much there for the price paid. We were expecting that one taco would be fulfilling for luch for one person. We are not fat people. But one taco was not enough. We left hunger. Similar to bistro on holmes beach. Bid prices, small portions.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Horst84
United States
“Great Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is one of two Tex-Mex places on Anna Maria Island, this is the better of the two. They have shredded meat which is very good and has great flavor. If you want Mexican food on the island, this is the place to go.

Visited April 2013
Sarasota, Florida
“Now that's a taco!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I ordered two tacos and a Coke. The lovely lady behind the counter was conversational and wonderfully polite. I was a first time customer and she made me two house tacos that were to die for (one with pork and the other beef). And when she handed me a Coke Cola in a bottle I felt immediately part of the scene in the movie "Back To The Future". Go again and again....and again...I will!!!!

• Visited April 2013