“"Donuts, it's vacation, cake for breakfast, yes!" -me”

The Donut Experiment
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Anna Maria
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Welcome to The Donut Experiment, where every donut is your creation! We start with a delicious, fresh-made cake donut and then you pick from our huge selection of icings and toppings. Yours can be as simple as plain or glazed or as crazy as key lime, maple bacon or Sriracha. Stop by today and begin your own experiment. We also serve premium, local roasted coffee and espresso drinks.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is very much like The Fractured Prune we MDers know from Downey Ocean hun.

Timing is everything. We went twice, first time we waited for 15 min. around 11:00, second time we waltzed in and ordered like superstars at 10:00. Just watch for the line out the door.

Small, 5 or 6 tables with room for one more. Most customers get it to go. While you wait, study up on the menu, there will be a test. *Hint, I don't think you can get it wrong, so relax, you're on island time... You can change your mind 73 times while you wait.

We got a 1/2 dozen for 3 of us. *Hint, don't look like a newbie and overeagerly spout off your order as soon as it's your turn. First, tell him how many donuts you're ordering so he can prepare your box. I know it's a lot to remember on vacation, you can do it!

We rode our bikes here, which justified eating 2 donuts.
1st visit:
me- caramel icing sprinkled with sea salt, I'm a pushover for anything caramel sea salt. I thought it would pair nicely with my other choice, maple icing with bacon sprinkles, and I'm still patting myself on the back for that, A+.
Lou- chocolate icing with sprinkles and vanilla icing with Oreos
Mr-. chocolate icing with Oreos and caramel icing with Heath bar.

2nd visit:
me- key lime and maple bacon. I figured I could have the key lime first and maple bacon for dessert. A+ again!
Mr.- caramel heath and vanilla oreo
Lou- was on a chocolate binge: chocolate with chocolate chips, chocolate with sprinkles

Yum. We munched them down inside the shop both times. No talking, the only sounds we made were hushed Homer Simpson moans.
A+

1  Thank lpoffenberger

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I love donuts, and I love the idea of creating my own donuts. Anna Maria Donuts is just that. You begin with picking an icing (i.e. maple, vanilla, chocolate, etc.) and then a topping (crushed oreos, M&Ms, Heath Bar, sprinkles, bacon - yes bacon). It is a very clean environment with a friendly couple who runs the place. This is a must for anyone who comes near the island.

1  Thank Bama197
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Delicious, freshly made with such a huge choice of glazes/toppings, that I had to let the server decide for me. Good choices - they were delicious and I've got to recommend the Key Lime one. I'm definitely going back for more!

1  Thank AndyAlison
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We purchased a dozen donuts and an iced coffee house style. Donuts were some of the best we've had! We tried all of the glazes and multiple toppings. Line was short at 9am on a Thursday and service was quick and friendly. I recommend the iced coffee also. A definite place to stop on your vacation.

1  Thank MidwestBeachLover
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Every donut is made to your request. A fresh made cake donut topped with as little or as much as you want! You wait in line, look at the menu and order when you get to the counter, the freshness is absolutely amazing, Cake donuts can be greasy, not so here, they melt in your mouth. Get several, cut into quarters and share, that way everyone can taste. My favorites are maple glaze with bacon, chocolate with bacon, the fresh cinnamon sugar, just to name a few. They are only $1.25 each, they should raise their prices! They do need an extra hand which would speed up the process, great, amazing donuts.

1  Thank Mark G