“They are trying....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of TerraMia

TerraMia
Reserve with OpenTable
TerraMia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: TerraMia presents contemporary Italian cuisine inspired by seasonal and regional simplicity. The executive chef creates elegant and classic Italian dishes presented with an innovative and modern twist.
Altamonte Springs, Florida
“They are trying....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Wednesday date night. A friend recommended Terra Mia, although he liked the old location quite well, but I wanted to see the new location just around the corner. I think the move is a savvy one, given the higher visibility and ease of finding it. The ambiance is vibrant; lots of professionals stopping in for happy hour and socializing at the bar. I went with my boyfriend and were seated in the bar area near the service area, and I found it a bit too busy for a quiet meal. Perhaps next time I'll have a better feel for the place and ask for something different.

We started with the Salsiccia E Peperonata, and found it wonderfully fresh and sweet for a hot dish (I didn't realize their version was a hot dish). The bread provided was rustic, crusty and thinly sliced, perfect for sopping up the delicious sauce. Nothing worse than billowy, heavy bread that reminds me of marshmellows - Olive Garden et all. For our entrees, he had the Spaghetti Ragu (Grandma's sauce) a very good dish of large and juicy meatballs while I had the Gnocchi Sorrentina. I actually preferred his traditional dish, although we both agreed his meatballs are just as good at home. Potato gnocchi is a difficult dish to prepare; the aim is to keep the pillow like texture light and airy. Unfortunately, this particular serving was a bit rubbery and over salted; too much handling or too much cooking was the likely problem. I have never sent anything back to the kitchen and I considered it last night. We chose these dishes primarily to see how they handled the basics.

As for service, our server was switched out at the beginning of our order, so it felt a bit chaotic. It looked like the bartender was either MIA or our new server was doing double duty. She seems a bit frazzled with the happy hour crowd although the other servers seemed steady and composed. She was extremely pleasant and since we were new, gave us a quick rundown on her favorites. We also had the owner/manager? on the floor, we're guessing. My boyfriend commented that he didn't look like a manager in his khakis and polo shirt while all the other waitstaff were dressed more formally. But, overall, the service was pleasant and generally attentive.

Cost at happy hour was reasonable, actually very well priced for the area. One shared appetizer, two pastas, 2 cocktails, 2 house wines were $50 before taxes and tip. I would have liked to have ordered a different wine, but it was a quick decision and it the house wine is decent, usually the rest is too. Overall I think I will go back when it's not so crowded and take my time, try a few more dishes as I think they have wonderful potential. They obviously use fresh ingredients and traditional methods, which makes them a cut above many of the local restaurants. I just think after reading a few other reviews, the chef or sous chef needs to watch the salt seasoning. The good ingredients don't need it.

This is 'Go Again' place.

• Visited July 2013

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“A great move in more ways than one.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Had a great meal with friends this past Saturday at Terra Mia's new (and improved) location off Douglas Ave. in Altamonte Springs. Quite frankly, was never really enthused by the food, lay-out, and service at the old location near the former Pebbles and Domino's pizza store. To me, the new TM is like night and day, and I am anxious to repeat the experience. Seems like TM's new incarnation is a little smaller, but more cozy and intimate. At the same time, the ristorante seemed to be a happening place for young and old alike. Food-wise, I had the beef carpaccio appetizer which was terrific, and only exceeded by the fantastic swordfish piccata as my entree. Profiteroles are my favorite dessert, and TM's version did not disappoint. The chianti wasn't bad either! As a famous actor once said, "I'll be back!"

• Visited June 2013
Lake Mary, Florida, United States
“great new location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Terra Mia recently moved to a new location on Douglas Ave in Altamonte Springs. They had been closed for over three months after they shut down their original location in the Springs Shoppes.
But the wait was well worth it. The new restaurant is an upscale statement with a very nice decor.
The restaurant now features a rather large oval bar which is right in the center of the restaurant with is a nice design with comfortable lighting. There is plenty of bar seating at high tables to one side and the dining area to the other side. The bar seating directly abuts an open display kitchen which is highly visible from all areas. All the dining table were black granite. Most of the lighting is spot lighting with a few pendants over the tables. There is a rather large wooden wine display feature wall at the end of the ding room which adds alot of atmosphere to the restaurant.
As for the food the menu is drastically different for the previous Terr MIA. I started with a Caesar salad which was cold and crisp. The dressing was very tasty. The main course was the Halibut special for $27. I thought it was a little pricey given that most of the dishes are around $19. It was served with a variety of mixed vegetables. The fish was served piping hot aand it was grilled to perfection. There was a mild seasoned butter sauce which in all reality the fish did not even need. The only down fall wasa that the vegetables were overs salted almost to the point that you could not eat them but they were tender and soft with out being mushy. The service was well paced and professional. We had a bottle of Chianti which was reasonable priced along with other well priced bottles and wines by the glass. There is exterior covered dining in front of the restaurant. The overall experience was great and will go back to try some of their regular menu items. I was disappointed that the only veal dish that was on the menu was veal parmesan. This is a much nicer place that the old Terra MIA and should do well in this location

• Visited June 2013
Orlando
“A touch of Italy in Altamone Springs!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife and I decided to try Terra Mia in their new location for lunch yesterday. The parking lot was pretty full even though it wasn't quit noon yet. The restaurant is very modern looking and attractive. I ordered the special Ravioli with beef and broccoli with an Alfredo sauce. My expectations were low, as I am usually not impressed with the majority of "italian" restaurants in the US. We travel to Italia almost ever other year and I just love the regional cooking, especially Tuscan Cucina Povera or poor cooking. They are experts at taking what they have regionally, keeping it simple and making it taste wonderful. My ravioli was home made, a rarity especially at this price, and the sauce was light and wonderful. And the bread was fresh made with a wonderful crunchy crust. OK, technically it wasn't true to the Tuscan tradition of making bread with little salt. This is because Tuscany was traditionally a poor part of Italy and they reserved the expensive (and taxed) salt for preserving food. But bread really tastes better with salt, so I am more than OK with the breach of tradition. My wife had the Stromboli. I don't think that stromboli is a true Italian food. But this was made with bread dough and much better than the ones I have tried which were made with pizza dough. Overall, an excellent experience, great food for the price, and good service. We will be back. Bellissimo!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Racer042
Orlando, Florida
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We loved the old location and service. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed with the new location. The place is crowded with tables. Less room than before. Noisy. The lighting was uncomfortable - bright and glaring. Service was only so-so. That might be due to teething pains. The food somehow seemed less good than in the old restaurant. We might try it one more time, but not a good first experience.

• Visited May 2013