“A really good motel in a good location”

Altamonte Hotel and Suites
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Altamonte Springs
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I booked this motel from England based on some very good reviews on Trip Advisor. Shortly after booking, I read a newly posted negative review, and very nearly cancelled my stay on the basis of this. I'm very glad I didn't.

Upon arrival I asked for a newly renovated room, and was given one overlooking the pool. The room was spacious, modern, had new beds, and very importantly was spotlessly clean (and I don't give this compliment lightly). The staff were friendly, efficient and professional, which made check-in very easy, and the overall stay very pleasant.

The motel was very quiet, and there seemed to be a high level of attention to detail. For those that want a hot breakfast in the motel, then this is one of the best I have seen. The dining room was spacious and beautifully set out, unlike many of the so-called 'dining areas' which are about the size of a broom cupboard. Personally, however, I drove 2 minutes to Cracker Barrel so didn't make any use of it, but if you want it, then it's there.

The location is very convenient, with easy access to Wekiwa, Blue Springs (where you can see Manatees in their natural environment), and Hontoon Island State Parks. I am not interested in all the man-made Disney attractions, but these are just a short hop down the nearby I4.

I've stayed in lots of Motels around the world, and for the price, I had no complaints, and would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Drag_race_girl
There are newer reviews for Altamonte Hotel and Suites

Reviewed February 17, 2012

I needed a hotel away from the tourist area for a quick 2 day conference. I also needed a "pet friendly" hotel for my small schnoodle. I spent hours on line trying to find something that wasn't run down and in a safe secure neighborhood. I came across this property and was pleased with the price but I didn't let that convince me. I called the hotel and spoke with the front desk and made sure that everything they were claiming on line was in fact true; I booked two nights and kept my fingers crossed that I wasn't being buffaloed as I have been in the past. I was happy it was right of the I-4 with plenty of shopping and dining very close by. They were very accomodating at the front desk and gave us a room over looking the swimming pool which was very nice. The room was clean and freshly painted. The bathroom was small but clean. Carpeting was in good shape and the furniture was nice with up to date bed linens. The breakfast was tasty and more than adequate and not served on styrafoam but on plates with cloth napkins!!! They offered a free cocktail each night to every registered guest in the lounge and they had a nice restaurant on site that smelled wonderful. They also offered a 25% discount if you dined with them. I needed to receive and send faxes and they couldn't have been more helpful. My only complaint is the bath towels were a joke they were like the size of a bath mat. I asked for a few more and made due. I would highly recommend this hotel and I would not think twice about staying their again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank grt2815
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Delighted to be greeted by a great front desk person !! Prompt check in.. no issues. Room was very clean, large and excellent WiFi complimentary. Bfst buffet in the morning ... Gorgeous pool with large waterfall. Will certainly return here whenever I need to be around Orlando and want to stay in the burbs. Convenient right off I-4 exit.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rrtwkm
HJPOrlando, Owner at Altamonte Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Our WiFi system was just replaced last year to a new state of the art system, and your review echoes what we've heard about it. We truly are happy to have served you, and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I come to this area fairly often but have never stayed at this hotel before. In fact, have never stayed at a Howard Johnson before. I knew the hotel was acceptable because some friends stayed there in the past, during the previous ownership and decided to try it because the price was right. At check in the desk clerk was friendly and efficient. We were given a room in the "executive building." We needed a quiet room and it was exceptionally so. Our room was very large, clean and updated. The beds were extremely comfortable and I have to say, I find that in most hotels, the lights in the room are lacking. However these rooms were pretty bright and well lit. We did have to ask for more towels, we were given only 3 for 3 people and when I went down the the front desk to get additional towels I had to sign them out. They weren't beautiful plush towels or anything and it wasn't a big deal, I've just never had to do that before. The breakfast was actually very nice for a free hotel breakfast. They started at 6 am on weekends which was very important for our needs that weekend. Many hotels don't begin breakfast until 7 am on weekends and we had some friends staying across the street who also needed an early meal and they were complaining that their breakfast started at 7 and even though the breakfast was all set up at 6:45 am, the lady yelled at them and made them stand there for 15 minutes and not take anything until 7. I'm so glad we stayed at the Howard Johnson. Anyway, this hotel had many options for breakfast, hot choices and fresh sliced fruit on pretty platters. All the food was replenished often. They even had servers bringing out drinks (other than coffee, which was self serve.) Overall, this was a great stay for us and we would be happy to stay here again when we return to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank amoe4
HJPOrlando, General Manager at Altamonte Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. This review helps to motivate our team. With such a large hotel, our team works tirelessly to ensure that everyone enjoys their stay. We hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed February 3, 2012

I travel to Altamonte Springs occasionally for business. The last time I traveled to Altamonte Springs in the fall of 2010, I stayed at this hotel but it was under a different name, Magnuson, I believe. Going back this past week I had no intention to stay at this hotel due to my last visit. I noticed the sign changed and it said Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel, so I thought lets give it a try. What a pleasant surprise. The first thing I noticed was the landscaping was freshly mulched, looked very nice. Went in and asked what was going on because before it was horrendous. I was made aware it was under new ownerhip for the past year and they have been working hard to upgrade the hotel. So I checked in got to my room and then walked around. It is wonderful, Lounge, pleasant decor and wonderful staff, Restaurant was open, which was closed before (by the way my steak was delicious) and the hotel had security gates, painted walkways. It is such a breath of fresh air. Oh, my Keurig Coffee Maker was delightful. Great stay, Great staff, Wonderful Changes, Great Job!! Oh, by the way in reading some of these other reviews, I don't believe it, wanting it free and it didn't happen, so they are upset.

Room Tip: Executive Building Great, Pool Side Rooms Nice Waterfall View.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank David M
HJPOrlando, Owner at Altamonte Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. Our team has endured an uphill battle this past year to bring out all the potential we see. It has been a very difficult process mentally, physically, and as an owner, financially. Reviews like your help owners who care to strive for better things for their customers, especially when the going gets tough. With that being said, this review helps my team and I to continue in our efforts to ensure we can make as many guests happy as possible. Guests like you give us the motivation to be excellent, thank you.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I arrived at the hotel in the evening. After noticing my first room had filthy carpet, a stained bedspread,a dirty coffee pot carafe, beat up furniture and marred walls I decided to exit and requested a refund. FYI read the fine print when you book your hotel through the airline reservation, make sure you can get a refund if need be. Upon hearing I'd have to wait for the management in the morning to get money back, I Hesitantly, I agreed to a change rooms. The second room appeared cleaner but the furniture that housed the coffee maker and microwave was unstable and only standing as it leaned against the television. I went to bed and within moments of turning the lights out, I felt something crawling on my arm. Jumping out of bed I stepped on a another critter and while making a phone call a third cockroach scampered across my bed.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Sara2dmax
HJPOrlando, General Manager at Altamonte Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

I am truly mortified that you had such an experience at our hotel. When you brought this to our attention, we had Orkin come out and immediately spray that room and the ones around it. According to the technician, he couldn't find evidence of the problem, however we have since had the company double up their visits to be certain that we don't have a problem anywhere on our property. Please accept my deepest apologies as your night was an extremely rare occurance. If you would be so gracious as to give us another chance, I will comp your night and you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

We had two rooms at this hotel during one of the busiest weeks (we were told) of the year for Orlando tourism (after Christmas). We were looking for hotels at the last minute and there weren't many online deals for 2 rooms. I admit that I didn't really want to pick a HoJo, but we took what we could get. Boy, was I surprised to find a much nicer hotel than I expected! It has been recently remodeled and the rooms are very nice. One of our rooms was in the business section, which had more amenities (loved the Keurig coffee maker!) than our other room by the pool. The business room was a suite with a seating area and the doors were inside a separate hallway. The rest of the hotel had outside doors. The beds were very comfortable and we all slept well - although there was some noisy people talking around the pool. My only complaint would be the towels, which were very skimpy. Breakfast ended at 9:00, so we didn't make it to that. The landscaping and grounds were very nice. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family