“Old and Tired”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Altamonte Springs
California
“Old and Tired”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Had a reservation for 3 nights but checked out after 1 night. The only way to describe this place is it has been rode hard and put away wet. It is dark and dingy and badly in need of a deep cleaning and refurbishment.

The entire property is poorly lit at night plus several of the exterior lights outside our room made parking area very dark. All of the parking areas are poorly lit.

The entry doors at the office have not been cleaned in a long time. They are dirty and grimy and make a poor impression.

The room had a musty odor. Everything in the room looked tired and beat including the old tube TV. The last time the front door was painted they splattered paint on the tile entryway and did a poor job cleaning it up. There were even some paint spatters on the TV cabinet. The door lock was loose. The door and frame were dirty and smudged. The breakfast bar had deep cuts in it. The door and frame to the bathroom was also dirty and grimy. The louvered door to the heating/AC unit in the washbasin area was covered in dust and grime.

The breakfast was average but the table tops were sticky.

The one night we stayed there seemed to be a lot of non guest foot traffic through the parking area.

While the staff was helpful they couldn't make up for the dingy, grimy rundown property. We moved down the street to the Embassy Suites which I highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KCMA79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Selected this hotel because of rating on TripAdvisor. Hotel is an old-style Residence Inn and has the appearance of a rundown apartment complex. Suspicious people walking around and lots of noise outside. Rooms need updating and have an odor to them. Not sure the last time I stayed in a room without a flat screen TV. Next time I will stay at the company recommended hotel instead of trying to save some money and get the Marriott points.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I spent a month on business in Altamonte Springs and decided to bring my large dog with me. We both totally enjoyed the Residence Inn. It was clean and comfortable and the staff is super nice.

There are numerous places to eat within walking distance and the location is very convenient. Around the property there were ample "pet walk" areas. (However there are a number of stray cats on and around the property that I probably would not have noticed but the dog sure did.) There are also parks nearby and we did venture out for longer walks in the area. The mall and Publix are a short drive away.

You just can't beat a Residence Inn on business. And being able to bring the dog was a huge bonus. If I have to return to Altamonte Springs you can be sure it will be to the Residence Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank cynsh111
New Jersey
Reviewed January 18, 2010

We stayed only one night (passing through). The room that we were first given had a "weak" dead bolt on the door, but the staff quickly remedied the situation. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Downside was that there was no fitness center - so we broke our routine this night. :-( Kitchen amenities were great for eating a meal in.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
CT
Reviewed August 13, 2009

My Fiancé and I stayed here for 6 days from July 28th thru August 2, 2009. Our Stay was Lovely!. We had lots of privacy and the location of our room was very secluded. Yokasta, and her weekday staff was great and did a wonderful job in welcoming us. Our room and the grounds were very clean and I would definitely stay there again!. A bigger bonus was when we arrived, our reserved 1 bedroom suite was upgraded to a two bedroom townhouse suite which was absolutely adorable. What a Wonderful surprise that was.!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
fickle1
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Booked hotel for long term stay. Outdoor entrance is a minus if traveling alone. Rooms older and due for update (carpeting raveling, tile floors worn looking,etc). Walls and floors lack proper insulation as easily hear neighbors above or next to you. Pool and hot tub were nice! Bring your bug spray. The outdoor corridor lights are a mosquito magnet! Great computer access and breakfast with afternoon snack was decent!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Maryland
Reviewed August 16, 2008

First, this is an older Residence Inn with exterior entrances. That right there was a turn-off and wish I had researched further before booking. It was in the middle of August and extremely hot. The exterior entrances only added to my paranoia of bugs and bees entering the room. We also saw several little lizards/geckos (sp?); whatever those little lizards are called. We saw them on the steps at times so we were quite nervous and uneasy about them entering the suite.

Now, the suite itself was very nice and my daughter and niece were very pleased at the layout immediately upon entering the suite. It was a penthouse suite and they loved the fact that they could look down on the living area from the upstairs loft/bedroom area. They also had their own bathroom which was a major plus.

The appliances appeared to be fairly modern and in very good working order. There were also utensils and plates, glasses, etc., though we did not use them. There was definitely no shortage on TVs, as I had my own in my bedroom, they had their own, and there was one in the living/sitting area.

I'm big on bathrooms so the bathrooms weren't really that great, in my opinion. Again, the hotel is fairly old and the bathrooms did have that older look to them. Very plain and basic and it just wasn't as clean as I prefer them to be. So I was very uncomfortable with it. The bed was comfortable enough. The location, depending on what you're looking for, wasn't bad at all. It's on a major state road with SEVERAL shops and eateries, as well as a mall.

The breakfast area wasn't bad and wasn't too crowded when we arrived around 9AM. The breakfast itself was nothing to write home about, but it was free with the stay and definitely more than enough to get you started and on your way for the day. It was your average continental breakfast (muffins, bagels, cereal, juice, coffee) as well as eggs, sausage, potatoes, and make-your-own waffles.

The pool was definitely small and it was fairly dirty. It wasn't green or discolored so maybe I'm being too picky, but bugs and leaves in a pool bother me.

All in all it wasn't bad but it definitely wasn't great. The biggest drawback for me was the bathroom and the exterior entrance. I just felt very uncomfortable there and couldn't really relax as I wanted to, so I checked out and traveled back home a day early.

I definitely will not return to this Residence Inn and will opt for a newer hotel next time.

• Liked — Proximity to the mall and eating places.
  • Disliked — Exterior entrance and old, dreary bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2007