“Dirty Slum Motel”

Extended Stay America - Orlando - Altamonte Springs
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Altamonte Springs
“Dirty Slum Motel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

This place was the worst I have stayed at in a long long time. First of all it was just plain DIRTY. The room smelled very musty even though the window was wide open when I first walked in. Upon checking the sheets it basically looked like they had dragged them across the un-vacuumed floor before putting them on the bed. There were pieces of hair, dirt and dust all along the top of the sheets and the side table still had a sticky ring from a glass. You could also see that the pillows themselves were stained even through their pillowcases. It is one thing for a place to be bare bones, but it is completely unacceptable for it to be dirty. That is truly the only task a hotel has-provide clean rooms. I am really shocked there are not more poor reviews.This is a one star motel at the very best. The people are more "living" than "staying" there. At one point I was walking down the hallway behind a man wearing an ankle bracelet. That kind of sums up the clientele (other than those traveling on business from out of town who don't know any better). In addition the room was facing the highway and very noisy-and although booked together me and my colleague's rooms were at complete opposite sides and different floors from each other. Far more bare bones than many others in the area for only a little higher price. There are basically no amenities other than a bar of soap and towels-no shampoo/conditioner/lotion/ice machine/workout room/pool/ or even housekeeping. The rooms have kitchenettes, so you can smell what others are cooking thru the dirty and stained hallways and the bathroom contained an ash tray. Apparently smoking is optional which you could also definitely smell as you walked down the hallways. Completely disgusting for someone who is a non-smoker. This is not a hotel it's a slum!If you are a normal everyday traveler on a work or leisure trip you should avoid it no matter what the cost.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Anna C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was a nice and clean hotel for a great price. The room was clean and smelled good when we walked in. The bed was very comfortable. We were impressed with kitchen and bathroom cleanliness. The free Wi-Fi was great. the speed was good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

The room and bathroom were clean and mattress was fairly new. Kitchen really made me feel at home with full size fridge, dishes and pots provided.
Area is great with publix, a mall ,1 dollar movie theatre, and free access to Golds gym all close by.
Was there for two months and noise level was minimal, and facility seemed to be well kept including removal and steam cleaning of A.C. Units.
My only negative comment is to my neighbors general lack of courtesy with door slamming, loud conversation in halls and smoking in the halls periodically but not enough to say that it was regular occurrence.
Would recommend this location anytime!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ken L
NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We needed a stop-over hotel on our way to Sanibel. We made reservations late and were traveling with our dog. When the original reservation was made the name of the hotel was Homewood/Homestead Suites (or something like that). I booked through Priceline and pre-paid for the room. I wasn't expecting a lot for $95.00 plus $25 pet fee but it was just one night. At check in (where no identification was asked for) my name was on confirmation but the address was incorrect. I was told that this was because we had booked through Priceline.com. I told the lady in guest services (who was honestly very nice and polite and this review in no way reflects anything negative towards her!) that I had prepaid and she said that there had been a problem with my Mastercard. Funny because I only have Visa's - I ended up paying for the room and am hoping that when I check my Visa bill I won't have paid twice for this stay.

The hotel smelled musty and like smoking had only been banned about 3 hours prior to our arrival. The room was a nice size as was the bathroom. The kitchenette and full sized fridge was also very nice considering we were traveling with food. The bed linens appeared to be new and were in nice shape. That is about all the good I can offer.

There is no ice maker in the hotel - just ice trays in the freezer and honestly, I'm a little picky about tap water from just any faucet. We had to request new pillows as there were stains of some sort on one of them.

My family slept probably 1 hour total that night. There was constant door slamming, talking and general noise all night long. We kept the HVAC unit running on high to try and drown out some of the noise. At first I felt bad that our dog was 'ruffing a bit' but honestly, she was just a nervous wreck over the banging, slamming and carrying on that was going on throughout the building.

It looked to us as if this hotel was actually a home to many people. If that is true, my heart aches for them because those children we saw certainly deserve a quiet place to sleep.

I have never been more delighted to be up and in a shower at 4:30 am so that we could get out of the room as soon as possible.

This was a lesson learned and I can promise that I will never, ever again compromise quality for quantity.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lake_Norman_Crew
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Altamonte Springs, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. I will take action to ensure that you were not double billed for your stay and the musty odors are addressed as soon as possible. Unfortunately, smoking is still allowed at this hotel property and though we try our best to keep non-smokers away from smoking rooms, we are not always able to accomplish this. Lastly, we sincerely apologize for the noise that you encountered. We do appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention though.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at nlc@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

For $66/night it was way above what we believed. The rooms were really clean and I loved the small nice little kitchen and had plates and stuff to use. Made staying there easier and better on the wallet. The staff checking in 3/22/13 (I think she was the manager was super nice and checking out 3/26/13 morning she was very very nice as well :) ) I found it all very welcoming. You think for that cheap you would get a bug infested motel. The WiFi worked great. The tv was new and worked great to hook our DVD player up so our daughter could watch her new movie.

Only down fall is we couldn't find any info on like check out or breakfast in the room or like a pen and paper. (most hotels I've stayed at have had those somewhere.) The beds were a little hard but I slept better there than I could have imagined.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Altamonte Springs, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
It is so rewarding to read that you had a great stay with us. Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you letting us know that the cleanliness of your room along with the kitchenette helped to make your stay pleasant. As well, that the staff upon check-in were able to assist you and that your daughter was able to watch her movies during your stay. However, we would like to apologize for the mattresses being hard and the lack of breakfast in your rooms. We do have a grab-and-go breakfast available each weekday morning. which you could eat in your room. I will work with my staff to ensure this message is communicated a little better moving forward.

We are happy to read that we provided you with wonderful customer service. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
FREDERICKSBURG
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here because like the ability to be able to do a small amount of cooking{breakfast} and prepare some lunch while golfing in the area. Rooms were spacious, and most importantly clean and the beds very comfortable . Area in corporate area off I-4{ very safe area} but very quiet right next to the Hilton. Easy access to restraunts, shopping and plent of golf courses. Staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast area nice with coffee, toat ,rolls and nutrition bars and fruit. Kitchens with stove ,micro and full size fridge. Must supply your own paper towels and cleaning products. bathrooms clean and shower works great. Flat screen TV with all the channels {ESPN and Golf}is great....Stayed 5 days average cost for each of us was $40 a night ....can't beat it... No maid service but not needed...Will definitely use again....I am puzzled by some of the negative reviews...I guess if you want more stay at Disney.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Altamonte Springs, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities that we offer here. Not only is cleanliness important but it is something that we take great pride in. My hotel staff and I would like to personally say, ' Thank You ' and we look forward to you coming back to visit us very soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Don't be fooled like I was into thinking you are staying at the nicer and similarly named HomeWOOD Suites (which was nice in Birmingham). This is a bare bones place. The sheets are itchy, bed hard, and the pillows make you wish you brought your own. The shower makes a horrible sound that makes you think the plumbing is going to shoot off and conk you on the head. Based on the noise happening in surrounding rooms, I'd bet this is not an isolated problem. The amenities do not include even the basics like a common ice maker. For the price, you can get much nicer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kimberly3333
OrlandoESH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Altamonte Springs, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience in regards your recent stay at Homestead Studio Suites-Altamonte Springs.

We take pride in providing all of our guests with a clean, quiet and comfortable stay. Obviously, this was not your experience during your brief stay here with us. While we do believe that yours was an isolated incident, we sincerely apologize. We have researched, and will make great effort to improve upon the inconveniences that you incurred.

Homestead Studio Suites does offer all rooms with a well-equipped kitchen, full-size refrigerator/freezer ( ice-trays full at check-in ), microwave and two-burner stovetop.

Once again, we appreciate your response and hope that you give us the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Maurice Denson