“Underwhelming Mexican food in Alachua”
Review of El Toro

El Toro
Ranked #8 of 44 Restaurants in Alachua
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Alachua
“Underwhelming Mexican food in Alachua”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I typically don't write reviews about restaurants but after my meal tonight I feel something needs to be said. I ordered food to-go for myself and a friend and paid $30 for: shrimp quesadilla, side of rice and beans, 2 tamales, and an order of cheese dip. NONE of the shrimp in the quesadilla were cleaned properly (all had the "vein" down their back) and they were overcooked. Canned mushrooms were also used and the quesadilla was extremely greasy. The rice and beans were just blah and the tamales were very dry. The cheese dip also just tasted like a melted block of cheese. The service and speed was pretty good, but for the price I paid I expect better quality food. I've been before and received mediocre food then as well. Needless to say I will NOT be going back any time soon nor will I recommend or take any of my friends there.

• Visited May 2014

Alachua, Florida
“Authentic mexican cuisine”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I see other bad reviews here but my experience among my co-workers who ate with me was very good. Nice atmosphere, good fast service; the four of us in my party ordered different menus and we were all very pleased with our orders. Price was very reasonable and we all got plenty of food. I had visited other two occasions with my family and have the same opinion; good customer service, good authentic Mexican food, reasonable prices.

• Visited September 2013
Alachua, Florida
“Not a good Mexican restaurant”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

When people find out we live in Alachua they invariably ask us if we eat at Conestogas or El Toro. Unfortunately, the fact that either restaurant gets positive reviews is strong evidence of the low standards to which we hold our restaurants here. The restaurant itself is nice enough. Clean and well lit. The service is okay. In one visit we were entertained by a teenage magician working for tips at individual tables... The food is where they fail. We have visited several times to give them a fair chance since we live nearby and are desperate for convenient Mexican food. However, the food was consistently underwhelming. On our last visit my wife's spinach quesadilla was a few bits of spinach between two tortillas, briefly fried. My fajitas featured canned mushrooms. As others have noted they strongly rely on frozen and canned components. All of that said, they seem to be fairly busy. Central Florida isn't exactly a hotbed of ethnic restaurants and it could very well be that the typical resident hasn't got anything to compare this restaurant's food to.

• Visited April 2013
High Springs, Florida
“Not Good. Way Overpriced! Worst Mexican Restaurant around!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I am not sure who reviews this that says the food was good. Everything was either out of a can, bag, or a box. Also we went during lunch hours. My wife got a Taco Salad that was supposed to be $7.99. This restaurant is not like any other and offer a steak option for Taco Salad. The waitress said there would be a "small" upcharge. Small upcharge= $12.75 total for Taco Salad!!! Thankfully we had a $5.00 off coupon, but we sure paid for it. After that she couldn't eat, because the shell was dipped in grease and steak was cold!!! We told the waitress, but..... . I got a lunch combo with chile relleno, that was frozen, with a canned yellow cheese sauce poured over it. It seems that the owners of this restaurant are going through the motions and not with the Mexican theme and style. Waitress was friendly, but just lacking in PR skills.

• Visited January 2014
“Good food”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Good Food. But seems like sometimes we go we good small helpings then we can go another time and get big helpings. It would be nice to know which day it would be so we could not order as much or order more accordingly. Very good food. Average price for this kind of food.

• Visited November 2013