“sadly disappointed”
Review of The Grist Mill and One Up Bar - CLOSED

The Grist Mill and One Up Bar
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Description: Our new location on 2nd floor in Avon is accessible by elevator or walk in upper parking lot. It has a metro feel and boasts a view of Talcott Mountain. The spacious covered terrace is quiet and secluded. The advantage of being on the 2nd floor it keeps us well above and away from any street traffic. The terrace has also been voted Best Of in Connecticut.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was so looking forward to a wonderful meal, but was very sadly disappointed. Aside from our waitress who was outstanding, the food was awful. We have eaten in just about every restaurant in this category in CT and this one, for this price, doesn't come close. I am really sorry to have to write this review, but the food was less than mediocre. We will not return.

2  Thank Scmd1

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Grist Mill moved to a new location.We went for lunch. The restaurant was very quiet, had a very nice waiter and very patient with us when he had to describe the lunch special twice. The tables all had white table cloths, we sat in a booth near a window. I had the seared seafood sandwich with sweet
potatl fries, cold slaw(a bit bland) and pickles. The sandwich was absolutely delicious, chuck full of seafood. My friend had the special salad of the day, mesculun greens, pears, grapefruit, cheese and added grilled chicken,she loved it. Wine prices were normal for location. When I return to Ct, will visit the restaurant for dinner.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was curious about the new Grist Mill location and paid them a visit May 25th, 2013. I had salmon and my husband had osso bucco. My salad had wilted lettuce and wrinkled tomatoes, the brocolli was black on the florets but undercooked and the peas and corn overcooked (and looked like they came out of a can). The salmon and osso bucco were both good but the price was not justified by the side dishes and salad. If I am going to spend $27+ on an entree I expect a fresh salad (paid for separately) along with freshly prepared side dishes. The service was great, waitress very attentive but the food and price doesn't justify a second visit

3  Thank msesqct
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

The Grist Mill used to be one of my favorite restaurants in Farmington. I loved the food and setting. Once moved to Avon, we tried it three times. That was it! It went from excellent to average and we no longer go. Too many excellent places around.

2  Thank Traveler_200950
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Quite the transition from a successful small restaurant in a small, out of the way location in Farmington to a high profile location in Avon on Route 44. I have to tell you I was a little skeptical that the transition could be pulled off. I suppose the proof is yet to come, however, from my experiences, they have raised the "bar" on 44 and are a force to be reckoned with. Having been here a few times, especially at happy hour, they have staffed there new digs with great people people. I found the offerings and pricing to be reasonable, food creative and well prepared and memorable. This has become one of our favorite places and beats the drive into Hartford. At a recent happy hour (fortunately we arrived early as the place filled up quickly) they had a guitar player which was a real plus providing a truly relaxing atmosphere. It was a nice and surprising addition. Combining this with their happy hour specials made for a great "early" evening. For being there such a short time they have acquired a significant following which, no doubt, is due to the great staff, atmosphere and quality of food. If they maintain these 3 elements I have no doubt they are going be successful in their transition. As noted previously, prices are reasonable for this venue and the food is "off the hook" as my son would say. I don't believe you will be disappointed.