“Food & Atmosphere Have Declined”
Review of The Grist Mill and One Up Bar - CLOSED

The Grist Mill and One Up Bar
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Our new location on 2nd floor in Avon is accessible by elevator or walk in upper parking lot. It has a metro feel and boasts a view of Talcott Mountain. The spacious covered terrace is quiet and secluded. The advantage of being on the 2nd floor it keeps us well above and away from any street traffic. The terrace has also been voted Best Of in Connecticut.
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

The Grist Mill used to be one of my favorite restaurants in Farmington. I loved the food and setting. Once moved to Avon, we tried it three times. That was it! It went from excellent to average and we no longer go. Too many excellent places around.

2  Thank Traveler_200950

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Quite the transition from a successful small restaurant in a small, out of the way location in Farmington to a high profile location in Avon on Route 44. I have to tell you I was a little skeptical that the transition could be pulled off. I suppose the proof is yet to come, however, from my experiences, they have raised the "bar" on 44 and are a force to be reckoned with. Having been here a few times, especially at happy hour, they have staffed there new digs with great people people. I found the offerings and pricing to be reasonable, food creative and well prepared and memorable. This has become one of our favorite places and beats the drive into Hartford. At a recent happy hour (fortunately we arrived early as the place filled up quickly) they had a guitar player which was a real plus providing a truly relaxing atmosphere. It was a nice and surprising addition. Combining this with their happy hour specials made for a great "early" evening. For being there such a short time they have acquired a significant following which, no doubt, is due to the great staff, atmosphere and quality of food. If they maintain these 3 elements I have no doubt they are going be successful in their transition. As noted previously, prices are reasonable for this venue and the food is "off the hook" as my son would say. I don't believe you will be disappointed.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently had dinner with co-workers at the Grist Mill in Avon while traveling for business. The restaurant has a great range of food from steaks to seafood to pasta and all the dishes that my co-workers had were excellent. I had the New York strip and caesar salad and both were excellent.

The service was fast, friendly and efficient. Well recommended and I would return when I am in the area.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Four of us went for dinner in November and it was very good... pricey, but the food was very good and the service excellent. Again, a group of 5 of us visited for dinner and the food was very mediocre, not very hot, and really not what it should be. Before this second visit I recommended the Grist Mill to friends and 7 of them visited the restaurant.. 6 of the meals were reported to be terrible and the service was poor, at best. Service, as well as food can be very inconsistent. It's VERY expensive for what you get. None of us will return to the Grist Mill, it's too bad because the atmosphere is lovely. All only my opinion, I was hoping to give the Grist Mill a better rating, but in good conscience I cannot.

2  Thank MimiSmith
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Food is fantastic and the view of the Farmington River is lovely. I've never been disappointed dining there.

1  Thank Dorothy-Anne M