“Consistently Satisfying”

Seasons Restaurant At Avon Old Farms Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
Seasons Restaurant At Avon Old Farms Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 61 Restaurants in Avon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Whether you are a guest of the Avon Old Farms Hotel or simply wish to enjoy an excellent dining experience, the award-winning Seasons Restaurant & Tap Room is one of Avon, CT's most popular restaurants. Guests enjoy dining in the Main Dining Room with its panoramic views overlooking Talcott Mountain Stream and its ever-changing array of artwork by local artisans. Every time you dine with us at Seasons Restaurant & Tap Room, it is a new gourmet experience.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Season's Restaurant at the Avon Old Farms Hotel has never been a disappointment. We have dozens of restaurants to choose from in our area, but we often select Season's. We can expect excellent and friendly service, a fine meal and we can be as casual as we like regarding dress (within reason, of course). We have eaten in the dining room and the pub area. I have been offered the menus from both wherever we choose to sit. Food is always fresh and nicely presented. The menu changes seasonally, so there is something to look forward to and not the same old, same old. We often find coupon's in our newspaper for 15% off and I have never felt embarrassed to use a coupon, as we have at other places. [To them I say, if you are going to cop an attitude about a coupon, find another means of advertising.] One of the nicest things about Season's is that my husband and I can carry on a conversation without shouting at one another. Some restaurants in the area are extremely loud and it's difficult to enjoy a quiet evening. Season's also has a wonderful piano player [Thursday's?]. That's a nice treat. I won't stop going to Season's. They really do a good job.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We had dinner Sat night at Seasons restaurant and our meal was terrible. So disappointing because I had high expectations. I started my meal with a beet and pear salad, the pear was described to be a grilled pear, well it was grilled alright, about 2 days prior. The said grilled pear was ice cold and mushy, so gross. The Salmon entrée was coated with what tasted like jelly and the risotto was under cooked, almost crunchy. The described, charred asparagus was probably grilled 20 minutes prior to the meal prep because although charred, almost burnt, they were cold and inedible. I mentioned the asparagus to the waitress and her comment, "...yeah, charred, it's supposed to taste like that" Such a horrible meal, we left wishing we had gone to a different restaurant.

1  Thank ASM013
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Seasons Restaurant At Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass along your comments on your most recent visit to Seasons Restaurant. It is very disappointing to hear the unfavorable comments on the food preparation and service. I want to assure you that we take all comments very seriously and your review will be passed along to our Chef and Restaurant Manager to correct these issues. I would like the opportunity to speak with you personally about your visit and also to discuss a visit in the future. Our goal would be to meet and exceed your expectations with another visit. Please give me a call at 860-677-1651 at your earliest convenience.

Jeffrey Hoess-Brooks

Reviewed May 9, 2014

My family and I were in town for a wedding and booked hotel rooms at the Avon Old Farms Hotel. The bride and groom arranged for 15% off coupons for everyone at Seasons Restaurant for the morning after the wedding. We arrived (party of 9) at 8:15 am and were told it would be about 25 minutes. The restaurant was about half full and the pub area was completely empty, but we understood the wait since we had a large party.

After 25 minutes, we were told it would be "a few more minutes." We waited in the lobby, as they were setting up for brunch, and my husband stayed inside so they would know where to find us. This is where we had our first run in with David - server, manager - I'm not really sure. He saw my husband waiting and told him they were closed until brunch. My husband explained that we had been waiting for a table already and they had our name. David said that he had just arrived and didn't know that. He was not pleased.

After what turned out to be about a 45 minute wait in total - David met us in the lobby and explained that he would have to seat us immediately as they were supposed to be closing to prepare for brunch and that breakfast had ended. Again, we explained that our name had been put in some time ago. He then proceeds to lead us into the pub area (which had been empty the ENTIRE time we waited) and inform us that he needed us to make our meal choices immediately. So rude. Someone then asked why our name was taken at all if the restaurant was closing. David replied that he did not know, reminded us that he would be right back to take our order, and huffed off.

I've never actually walked out of a restaurant due to bad service before, and if we already hadn't waited 45 minutes and my 80-something year old grandmother wasn't with us, I would have. Such an uncomfortable situation to be put in. And the kicker? We sat down, chose our meals, and waited another 10-15 minutes for a server to arrive and take our orders. We didn't see David for the rest of the meal.

Meanwhile, my cousin (the bride) and her new husband and some of their friends were going through the same situation. A 25+ minute wait, only to be sat (surprise!) in the pub area with us.

Needless to say, we won't be returning to Seasons. There are way too many other options in the area. The food was great, so it's unfortunate that one person can really ruin a guest's experience.

2  Thank iamavisitorhere
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Seasons Restaurant At Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

I'm concerned about the service you experienced at Seasons Restaurant recently while staying at the hotel. I thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

The principal goal of our hotel and restaurant is to provide dependable service
to all of our guests at reasonable prices. At no time should any of our guests feel rushed once seated to dine or receive unsatisfactory service. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously.

Please be assured that the issues you've raised have been addressed, and the appropriate action has been taken. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally about the experience. I can be reached at the hotel at 860-677-1651.

Best Regards,
Jeffrey Hoess-Brooks

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Maybe Season's doesn't deserve a Poor rating, but as they aspire to be an upscale dining establishment, with prices to match, average food and shoddy service just is not acceptable.

This incident sums up our experience: after finishing the salad, my husband left his fork on the side of the plate as is customary - when the plate was cleared, the server tipped the plate to the side intentionally , in order to allow the fork to fall onto the table rather than giving him a new fork for the main course!!

The food: the menu seems to be what I would expect about 30 years ago. I had the scallops and they were served in 2 fake scallop shells surrounded by mashed potatoes and on top of a heavy cream sauce in which was hiding some bits of vegetables. The scallops were edible, if a bit under cooked. My husband had the chicken saltimbocca - the chicken was tough and the prosciutto that covered it was vile and fatty. The dessert and salad were average.

Although the locations are different, the style of restaurant compares with the Altnaveigh Inn, in Storrs, CT - where we dined a few weeks ago. That was a wonderful dining experience with expert service and food that was worth the price.

1  Thank bhappy50
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Seasons Restaurant At Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to mention the issues you experienced while dining with us at Seasons Restaurant. I want you to know that the concerns of our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve.

The proper service of clearing that wasn’t followed by the staff will definitely be addressed. This appears to be a training issue will can be solved rather easily. Honestly there is no explanation or excuse for this incident to happen.

In regards to the food, I do apologize that the two dishes did not meet your expectations. I will be meeting with the Chef to discuss these dishes and to see what can be done to enhance the dishes to avoid a similar situation in the future.

As the General Manager of the hotel, it is extremely important to me and the staff that the restaurant meet the same standards that we have throughout the property. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity when in the area. Please call me directly at 860-269-0225 to further discuss this recent experience and to make plans for another visit. I assure you that during your next visit we will meet and exceed your expectations.

Sincerely….Jeffrey Hoess-Brooks, General Manager

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had looked forward to this brunch for over a week. We were seated in the breakfast room at an uncomfortable table next to a window looking out at a function tent which was beeing worked on Sundays with loud machinery, not a good beginning. Since our friends had forgotten to make a reservation, we had to take what was left.
The brunch offerings were varied and quite tasty, even though the presentation could have been better; it felt like an upscale cafeteria food line. One entry I had looked forward to was medium rare beef roast. The cut did not look like tenderloin, but was of a similar shape. It looked fabulous, medium to rare just like I like it, but after getting back to our table I (tried to) cut the meat. It was almost impossible to cut though. And chewing it was also quite a task. It was lacking in taste, obviously a cheap cut parading as roast beef. I quickly gave up on it and went back for a Belgian waffle with maple syrup and berries, much more satisfying.
All in all the buffet is quite nice, but a brunch at the Waldorf it is not. A little extra effort on part of the hotel management and staff could go a long way. But since this hotel and a number of others in the Farmington valley vicinity are owned by the same family, they seem to have forgotten how to compete.