“world-class hotel with the look of a country club”

Avon Old Farms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Avon
Weilburg, Germany
“world-class hotel with the look of a country club”
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Quiet, large rooms with excellent beds, wireles LAN free for guests. Nice bar and very good restaurant.
Very good service

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This hotel is beautful. Upon arrival I was taken aback by the beautful early american furniture in lobby, it is nice to see such charm still around. The front desk attendant was very polite, he was very prompt and made me feel as though I was his most important guest staying here. From then I was told were my room was, I stayed in an Tradional king as they call it, and again was so happy to see the four poster canopy bed in the room. Later that evening i dined in Ferme restaurant and the food quality was amazing! It was like a restaurant I would see at home in New York City! Very amazed that even out here you can find amazing food and great service! The next morning I went back to the restaurant for breakfast, and it was actually sunday brunch! Again the greeter at the entrance was extremely bubbly and polite I actually even talked with him for a few moments. Sunday brunch was a buffet and I couldn't have enjoyed it more! All in all I couldn't have been any happier with my stay! It was perfect all around! A nice ecscape from the city life. Will be back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed in the "motel" area of the hotel, and while it wasn't five stars, there was nothing wrong with it, especially considering that we booked it at a very reasonable rate (The more "upscale" rooms in the main building were significantly more). I don't understand all the negative reviews, everything was clean, the bed had nice linens, all the furniture was in good condition (only complaint was that the heating unit looked beat-up, but it worked fine). I highly recommend the restaurant in the hotel; we had dinner and brunch there, and had a wonderful weekend!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Great short stay at this hotel. The room was comfortable and the central location to where we wanted to go couldn't be beat. Avon is a very cozy town/suburb of Hartford, and this hotel was definitely a good value. We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Mansfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I was unlucky enough to end up in the old part of the hotel, closest to the highway. Not impressed at all. The room reminded me way too much of the Days Inn cheapo rooms I stayed in 25 years ago: dank, dark, vaguely dingy. I was reluctant to step on the carpet in bare feet. Furniture upholstery was stained. The room was small, and the TV occupied the desk, which left the coffee table as the only viable working space-- not ideal at all. Wireless internet was free, but often crashed. Cooling came from a window air conditioner, so full privacy meant pulling the heavy drapes over the a/c unit, blocking its flow. Again, far from ideal. Any why is it so hard for hotels to provide decent clock radios?

What did I like? The location was good. The staff and hotel are clearly trying to improve, they just have a long way to go in my experience. The bed was fine, the shower worked well, and the toilet flushed. There were no bugs. It met my basic needs during a conference.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank T D
Vienna, VA
Reviewed April 16, 2010

The weekend we stayed there the Avon Old Farms Hotel hosted at least three, and possibly four, bridal showers. Of course, that opening statement lets any normal person know this is the place to stay on the west side of Talcott Mountain. However, for our friends from Missouri, I'll press gamely on.
We had a reservation, and the overnight clerk (night auditor?) had everything under control, and made us glad we got there at all. The room was very clean, and in the still of the night I was so happy to find there were two portable suitcase holders. There was, however, only one chair in the room, so I had no net increase in room comfort.
There was a vanity, and there were sinks inside and outside the bathroom, though only one wastebasket for the two areas, and no towel racks in the vanity. The bath towel situation was like getting coffee in a restaurant. I had one bath towel, and my partner had three, and happy we were.
There was an off-screen cable listing guide to navigate the local array, which was a must because there were over fifty channels from which to choose, and the flat screen TV was bigger than that nice thing hanging by the cash register at our local deli.
The heating/air conditioning unit was noisy, which is fairly par for the course outside of a television show, but we worked around it the second night by running the thing while out in the evening, and shutting it off for bed, leaving a window open just a little bit for air.
I spent over ten minutes trying to set the alarm on the thing with the IPOD/GoGear dock and radio before I phoned for a wake-up call.
The shower head was one of those things that may also have had a setting for spit shining your shoes. It was good enough that I didn't whine too much about no place to hang the wash cloth.
We had room to move around, and being in the halls and on the grounds was an excercise in understated elegance. We had occasion to use the staff for information, and observed others doing the same, and the staff were very good at their duties indeed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly and courteous staff who checked us in quickly and efficiently. The room was comfortable and well appointed, if a little dated. However it was really cold - there was an AC which did heat the room but required a lot of adjusting to get the right temperature and it was very noisy when trying to sleep. In fact I found the whole hotel quite cold; the breakfast room was like a cold storage unit. What is wrong with this part of the United States? It's not like 2010 was the first time they had a cold winter and this hotel was one of many places in Connecticut where the heating was insufficient leaving me cold all the time. What a relief to get back to northern Europe where admittedly it's colder but at least we have proper heating indoors.

I ate in the hotel bar one of the nights I stayed at this hotel as there was a conference taking place which booked out the restaurant. The food was just outstanding and really memorable - perfect comfort food on a winter's evening. If you like seafood try the red snapper which was lovely and came with a delicious mash and tender veg. My colleague had a sumputuous steak which she remarked was divine. The waitress/bar maid was professional, friendly, fun to talk to and just made us feel relaxed and welcome. The breakfasts too were really enjoyable with a great choice on offer.

We booked the hotel shuttle bus to get us around during our stay and the lady who drove it was a real tonic. Bright, chirpy, happy and just a pleasure to be around.

The hotel is quiet, which isn't a complaint but it made for quite a dull atmosphere. I guess this part of Connecticut isn't exactly 'happening'.

From what I remember the internet was free of charge which is a great perk. Most hotels rip off their guests with internet charges and it was nice not to have to fork out for this. I worked in my bedroom a bit while I was there and I found it a comfortable place to work with a large desk giving plenty of room.

I'd recommend this hotel for business travelers and also for those who are busy with other things in the area and not using this place for a break.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Simsbury Inn
Residence Inn Hartford Avon
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Hartford Marriott Downtown

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!