“I can see both sides now”

Avon Old Farms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Avon
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stay at the Inn 5-6 times/year on business. Some of the rooms are lovely, and the bar can be fun. I prefer the "traditional" section. With anyplace, there are low points, and my last 2 visits have been a combination of ho-hum rooms and less than pleasant front desk service. When I mentioned the poor experience at check-out, all I got was a shoulder shrug. Seems strange the management didn't care.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is my second stay at this property and we have also used it for visiting guests. It definitely has a lot of New England character and beauty. While the rooms are spacious and attractive, the beds are very uncomfortable. By the second night, I figured out how to use the pillows to offset the hard bed and had fallen into a peaceful slumber. Sometime around midnight a large drunken group of revelers (30-40 people) came in and set off the fire alarm at 1:30 a.m. because they were playing with a fire extinguisher. Then, they yelled, ran up and down the halls, slammed doors and also carried on in the hotel lobby until 3:30-4 a.m. It was unbelievable and when we called the front desk to see if there was a solution, the clerk basically told us - Too bad, we're not going to do anything so deal with it. Some of our friends also called and were told the same thing. It was absolutely crazy - the beautiful surroundings and our weekend getaway were ruined not only by inconsiderate people but also by a hotel staff who did not have the good sense to care about their other customers. I doubt we were ever stay here again, definitely will not recommend it or put guests there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Esther H
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post the problems that you encountered during your stay. We credit our success in the lodging industry to providing excellent service and comfortable accommodations. I apologize for the inconvenience and assure you that the problems that you encountered are not acceptable to our standards and quite upsetting to management. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in detail about your recent stay. At your earliest convenience, please feel free to give me a call at the hotel, 1-860-677-1651. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

i have had the opportunity to experience the hotel in several manners-
first- i have stayed in the hotel as a guest.
i stayed in a beautiful, clean room with an extremely comfortable camopy bed.
the room was as charming as the fireplaced loby.

second- i've been there for brunch as well as for dinner.
Sunday brunch is fabulous with more options that you could possibly need to pick form.
they also do a wonderful job dinner with dinner and have a solid and tasty menu

lastly, because i am somewhat local, i plan several full day (and a few half day) meetings here each year for my staff. they truly do a wonderful job. they have several meeting spaces that can accomodate many different sized meetings and have always had the perfect space- whether it be a 5 person meeting or a 25 person training/meeting.
the room is always perfectly set up. every detail is arranged for ahead of time (from breakfast, to breaks, to plated or buffet lunch breaks)- and it always goes with off without a hitch.

to summarize- the hotel is charming, comfortable, clean and a perfect cozy New England getaway.
the restaurant does great work.
the meetings and events team is wonderful....
and in all- the entire staff is friendly, helpful and always willing to go the extra mile to help you out.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank m06032
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Reading the reviews first as any person travelling to a new place would do scared me a little bit. The good thing is, my friend stayed here a month ago, and she had nothing but good things to say about this hotel. I'm just here to give my honest opinion about my one-night stay.

PROS:
Overall, my stay was more than pleasant. The lobby was very comfortable, with a nice fireplace and complimentary coffee and tea for guests. I was lucky that they gave me a free upgrade from the motel to the hotel part of the place, and I had a rather nice room. There were two queen-sized beds, though I was alone, but the ac/heater worked very well.

The frontdesk personnel very helpful and friendly. The transportation team were FANTASTIC - Jeanne was as OC as I am with regards to scheduling the shuttle service, and both she and Dan were a delight! I had no problems whatsoever with my stay here, as well as getting to the places I had to be at.

CONS:
The only con would be that, yes, the walls may be a little bit thin, and you can hear some doors opening and closing and all that, but I'm not a light sleeper, and I had my headphones with me anyway, though I didn't have to use it. I don't know about the motel part of the place, but my room (127) was definitely very lovely.

I would stay here again, definitely.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Susanna T
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay at the Avon Old Farms Hotel. I was put up here the night before running a workshop at the University; after reading some of the recent reviews on Trip Advisor I dreaded the experience. After my stay, I wonder what is wrong with reviewers' expectations. Or maybe going midweek when no large event is planned makes for a better hotel stay. This is a typical New England hotel/motel with an Inn flavor. It has charm, comfort, and history. Although the Hotel is adjacent to highways and roads with heavy traffic. the grounds are quite lovely and almost bucolic. I can see why it is a popular setting for weddings and receptions. Contrary to others, I found the staff courteous, friendly, and helpful. The room (#137) was large, tastefully decorated, and very comfortable. The king size bed was canopied, with ample supply of fluffy pillows and great covers. It was a very cold evening, and the room was perfectly heated. Dinner at the restaurant was superb, better than the quality of many a New York dining experience. It is true that the walls of the hotel are rather thin, and I could hear doors slamming and people talking. Nonetheless, I had a good night's sleep, and I am spoiled by my bed at home. I'm now thinking of returning with my wife for a mid-week escape.

Room Tip: I found the rooms on the first floor near the restaurant great. I liked facing the back (odd numbe...
1  Thank richchar
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had a wonderful night...after dinner with family nearby, my husband, four year old daughter and I went to the Avon Old Farms Hotel for a one night stay before heading home in the morning to Massachusetts. The room was just beautiful, I felt an instant relaxation as soon as we turned the light on. The beds were like clouds, linens clean and bright. the free WiFi worked excellent. Loved all the little details, the bathrobes, the pretty hamper for towels, impeccably clean, fantastic shower....all was wonderful. After four days of traveling it was so welcome. In the am, we enjoyed an awesome breakfast via room service - the coffee was delicious and I highly recommend the banana nut pancakes - huge portion that fed all of us. The staff who delivered our food was so friendly and warm, just added the icing to the cake. all in all, a great experience...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jenn P
Reviewed December 12, 2012

You pay for hotel accommodation expecting to get a reasonable nights sleep and the general management at Avon Farms totally disregard this. They allow deliveries to turn up at all times of night and unload supplies at the front of the hotel directly below the majority of rooms in the main building. I stayed two nights in a mini suite (rm 217) and watched in amazement as lorries back up to the hotel (immediately beneath my bedroom window) and began unloading daily supplies from around 4.30am without any regard to residents. If you want to sleep, avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Saxo44
CHOC-GM, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Please accept our apologies for the disturbance you experienced with the noise and early deliveries. I have shared your comments with our Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper and corrective measures have been taken to adjust to a new delivery schedule. If you are ever in the area again, I hope you would be willing to stay with us again.Please contact me personally with your reservation in hopes that we may be able meet and exceed your expectations. J.Hoess-Brooks, GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Simsbury Inn
Residence Inn Hartford Avon
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!