“Nice and Cozy”

Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Aurora
San Diego, California
“Nice and Cozy”
Reviewed January 10, 2009

I enjoyed my stay and felt comfortable at the Hyatt Place in Denver, CO. The room was a large suite with a king bed just for me. Since my company booked it, I didn't have any prior knowledge of the hotel. I found that Hyatt Place was more of a "suites" hotel than the normal hotel with generic studio rooms. My suite consisted of a seating area with couch, flat screen, desk and wet bar, and sleeping area separated by a small divider. To me, the hotel had a "mom & pop" feel because the small front desk crew pretty much ran everything. The people at the front desk, were the same people that went back and made my dinner order that I placed. The Manager in a suit, was the same one who removed the cookies out of the oven and popped some champagne for some people who ordered it. The receptionists were the same ones who made my Starbucks drinks to the side of the front desk. Because they were such multi-taskers, it was a very long wait at times when 3 different people needed something from the front desk. When I was super hungry at 9PM, I had to wait to place my order for a long time, until the front desk lady was finished answering the phone (she knew I was there). When she was done, she finally went to the kitchen to make my dinner. But right when she left, a family came in to check in. They waited at that empty front desk for a looong time. I think they even used their cell phone to call the front desk, but of course no answer. Meanwhile, another person came in her PJs to place a food order as well.

Even with all this, I felt the front desk did their best, and I wish them nothing but success. They were all very nice and accommodating, and their customer service was excellent. This is not a large hotel with a spa or room service per se (you can call and order from the menu and the front desk lady will take it to your room) and they don't have a large menu. They do offer a free continental breakfast of some fruit, oatmeal, cereal, & toast. This is a nice and cozy place to stay with a family-run style.

• Liked — clean room, shuttle service to airport
  • Disliked — waited a long time for food orders since front desk person was also the cook
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 20, 2008

Spent 5 days at the hotel on a business trip and soon felt comfortable. The room are large, clean and well equipped, comfortable bed, good heating (outside temperatures were almost arctic, down to minus 29 Celsius). Coffee maker and ironing board in the room I used daily. Large flat screen television, unfortunately no international programs such as BBC, also no Spanish programs. Fresh newspaper every morning (except one morning missing). Minibar empty, but vending machine on the floor. Housekeeping good. The hotel staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful, many speak Spanish as well. There is no restaurant except snacks at the bar I didn't try, but some in walking distance, with reasonable prices and friendly service. Breakfast is typically American, and as European I missed some crusty bread or assortment of cheese, but otherwise ok. The "business center" consists of two computers with free of charge internet and one printer. Check in and out are efficient. The lobby is a bit draughty in winter. A shuttle bus to airport. No smoking in hotel, but ashtrays at various exits (smokers, mind it can be very cold in Denver in winter!).

• Liked — large room with big beds and coffee maker, quiet location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — no smoking indoor, a bit a lack of "atmosphere", no promotion of tourism (a pity for Colorado)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Frequentvoyager
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed November 20, 2008

We have stayed at many of the popular hotel chains in a variety of locations over the last several years. This is by far the best experience we have had for a hotel in this price range. We were greeted by friendly staff and were given a mini-tour of the lobby and were given complimentary bottles of water (which is very helpful in Denver!). We reserved connecting rooms because we had 3 teenagers with us and we wanted some privacy. The rooms were very welcoming, large, exceptionally clean (I always check for bed-bugs) and has so many amenties that we were shocked. The teenagers are typically not very impressed since they have been to many hotels but they were even commenting on how nice the rooms were; plasma tv, sectional with pull-out sofa, lots of extra linens and pillow-cases, mini-fridge etc. Location was great as well, close enough and easy to get to airport, looks like a newer area of Denver in a business park type area but also had decent family restaurants nearby, Outback, Applebees, Einstein Bagels, Starbucks etc. Would stay here again and would recommend to friends. We are thinking we will make a habit out of staying at Hyatt Places as long as the quality remains. Only negative: exceptionally small commode/shower area- if someone was on the larger side, may be difficult to close the door. That is certainly something I can live with when considering the whole picture.

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank milesgng
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed October 18, 2008

The best things about the Hyatt Place DIA are the staff (super helpful and friendly) and the rooms (newly refurbished with a very comfortable bed, a 42 inch plasma TV and an L-shaped sofa to lounge on). For the price we paid (less than $100 for a king bed room), it was excellent value. It's about a 15 minute shuttle ride from DIA, so not as handy as some of the airport hotels, but there's a decent selection of restaurants nearby including a Mexican place, a pizza restaurant and an Outback Steakhouse that will deliver food to your room. You can also order food, wine and beer in the hotel using a touchscreen system in the lobby, and there's a liquor store across the street with a decent selection of wine and beer. The complementary breakfast (which starts at 6am) is your standard cereal-fruit-bagel deal but you can order something more substantial if you want to, using the touchscreen system. The only downside I can think of was the fact that the shuttle only runs every 45 minutes in the morning, so you may have to head to DIA a little sooner than planned. However that is often a good idea given the time it takes to get through DIA security these days.

• Liked — Staff were extremely helpful
  • Disliked — Infrequent shuttle service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scotsman0410
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 11, 2008

This is a nice mid-range property. Despite its location name, it is not all that close to the Denver Airport, but nothing is. This location is in a suburban office park with a large number of mid-range hotel brands nearby. Also nearby are the usual assortment of chain restaurants; a Ted's Montana Grill shares the parking lot.

The property is newly renovated and the rooms ar nice and fairly big and have a refridgerator, but no micorwave. The rooms have an enourmous (50" or so) flat screen TV, which is great, but actually a bit overwhelming. Nice continental breakfast, which is included in the rate. Small fitness room, but new equipment.

Staff were OK, but didn't seem to go out of their way or above and beyond the call of duty.

A good place to stay, especially if you are a Hyatt loyalist, but probably not worth paying more than the nearby Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard or other similar properties.

• Liked — New and Clean
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Davidwatts
Suffolk, UK.
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Having stayed in another Hyatt Place in a different city just two weeks before, it was interesting to compare.

Hyatt has obviously renovated all of their hotels and they are all built to the same layout and standard (at least the two I stayed in were). So yes, there is the large room, comfortable bed, internet access and the famous 42 inch tv. Whilst people seem to be commenting that the hotel was recently refurbished, I don't that it could have been that recently. My room certainly felt a little tired, with the sofa fraying and the carpet wearing out.

This wasn't a great stay, but I might have just been that on a bad few days. The check-in was difficult. The computers had apparently crashed and the staff moaned about how tired they were (not what I want to hear after spending 10 hours on flights). So I couldn't have a room straight away.

When I got my room key, I went out to my car which I had parked next to one of the side access doors which allow access with the key card, as it was raining hard. However, with my bags in hand I discover the door is broken, so I get soaked walking back round to the front. I inform the staff and that door is a known issue.

Then to the elevator. Well only one of the two were working. The hotel was fairly full, so all floors were in high demand for the one elevator. Each time I wanted to use it would entail a five minute wait, or even more at busy times (breakfast). Or I couldn't get onto it because the cleaning staff had filled it with trollies. Again the broken elevator was a known issue. The one which worked felt like a service elevator it was so clunky. I took to using the stairs.

These issues might have just been bad timing of my stay. Though I do think the staff could do with a little training in customer relations.

But the room served it's purpose. The hotel is a 10 minute drive to the airport, which was why I chose the location - I had a 6am flight on departure. The room was comfortable and if you wanted to eat out there are plenty of restaurants within 200 meters.

• Liked — close to airport, easy for an early flight
  • Disliked — lots of things weren't working and the staff weren't very helpful / welcoming
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank SuffolkTravellers
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 26, 2008

My wife and I stayed there with our five teenage boys. We booked two adjoining rooms. Everybody loved it, and teenagers are hard to please. The hotel has been totally renovated with very modern touches: HD flat screen TV, trendy furniture and fixtures, colorful. The rooms were suite style so two double beds and a living room.

Staff was very helpful. No restaurant but good restaurants right across the street. Also great value ($129/night). 4:45am (!)shuttle to airport was right on time and very helpful. All in all, highly recommend.

• Liked — Modern upgrade. Good affordable hotel near airport
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank HRM3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
Woolley's Classic Suites - Denver Airport
HYATT House Denver Airport
Cambria hotel & suites Denver International Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Denver Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Denver/Airport-Gateway Park
Denver Airport Marriott at Gateway Park

Been to Hyatt Place Denver Airport? Share your experiences!