“Not Full Service and Smelly”

DoubleTree Denver Aurora
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Aurora
Omaha, Nebraska
“Not Full Service and Smelly”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The DoubleTree Hotel is esteemed to be a rather upscale operation. The cost to stay there certainly reflects this conventional wisdom. However, I’ve had better service at roadside motels than the Doubletree Hotel in Aurora, Colorado. I paid handsomely for the privilege of not receiving a free continental breakfast, not having access to hot water in the shower, not being able to access the internet without being charged a hefty fee, and finally, being punched in the face with the smell of vomit outside my room door. I brought this particular issue to the immediate attention of the front desk, and nothing was done about it.
I’ve stayed in roadside motels for $45.00 a night that offered me all of the above amenities without question. I guess the DoubleTree thinks that their guests find it to be a privilege to be gouged.
Also, I called the front desk about a pending charge to my debit account. I just wanted to make sure that the charge was not an incidental charge to my card. I received a snotty and condescending response from a front desk agent who did not have any command of the English language whatsoever. This person stated “you see, sir (add snotty tone here) when you stay at a hotel..”. I have stayed at hotels all over the world and do not require a lesson in the basics of accommodations. All I require is a clear, straightforward and intelligible answer to a direct question about a charge on my account. I actually had to call back and speak with a different agent (who was courteous) to get the matter settled.
Most of the staff at this hotel were pleasant, but I do recommend this hotel. Go down the street to Comfort Inn and get the same service with along with lower rates, free internet and continental breakfast and hot water for your shower.
The vomit smell never got resolved during the entirety of our stay. We were there 2 days.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We had checked into our very very wrong hotel on the other side of the highway. THAT HOTEL shall remain nameless. THAT room came with a microwave-sized machine that declared itself a "portable motorized AIR NEUTRALIZER". The other hotel was so bad and stinky and dirty, unsecured and We left the next morning and went to the Doubletree Hotel under the highway. We got a BEAUTIFUL room on the 4th floor. Clean Fluffy Towels, Granite counters, large flat screen TV, a comfortable down-covered bed and a view of the mountains for the same price as the disgusting extended stay hotel we had just left 1 block away (using my AAA discount). The room smelled like vanilla, without the use of a portable motorized air neutralizer. When we saw our room we literally jumped up and down with joy. We were especially delighted when we were given warm chocolate chip cookies when we checked in! Every staff member we came in contact with was warm, friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay at the Doubletree every time we come to Denver from now on.

Room Tip: I've only been in one room: 443. Clean, beautiful, smells like vanilla. No loud sounds. Anyo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Georgia W
Brush, Colorado
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Our stay at the Doubletree was a short one, as we had to catch the airport shuttle at 3:30 AM for a 5 AM flight. But, we stayed mostly for the shuttle since the hotel's rate was reasonable and the Doubletree has a decent reputation. That said, we needed a good night's early rest. Unfortunately, the interstate traffic outside was noisy until 2:30 when we had to get up. Semi trucks were often roaring by. Maybe on the other side of the hotel we would have had a quieter night. However, we also had a room across from the ice machine and it was running all night. Worst of all, though, our air conditioner sounded almost like a loud motor running right in our room when it clicked on from time to time. If we stay again, we would ask for a room away from the ice machine and elevator (there were some giggling high school students out there earlier in the evening when we had to sleep). And, we would ask for a room with a quieter air conditioner. The hotel itself was very clean and attractively decorated. Our drivers to and from the airport (we left our vehicle while away) were efficient and so kind. And, the famous Doubletree chocolate cookies never fail to please us! We would stay again, but ask for a better room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank AJE56
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a business conference from August 14-19. Any other complaints, criticism or compliments I may have for this hotel pale in comparison to my one main complaint. There are bedbugs in room 312. I was bitten many times on my first night there. I brought a bug that I killed to the front desk in the middle of the night and was given a horrible smelling smoking room. There were no apologies or compensation offered, and I learned the following day that the Manager was not even informed by the staff until the leader of my group went to complain. I understand that any hotel can have bedbugs, but the service that I received after informing the management of the problem was underwhelming to say the least.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 312...BEDBUGS!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Richard A
daveprophet, Manager at DoubleTree Denver Aurora, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Please allow me to apologize for the inconvience you experienced here at the Doubletree during your stay, I was alerted first thing in the morning about your issue with room 321 and immediately contacted our pest control provider who inspected your room and informed us that there was not a bed bug issue. I instructed them to treat the room as a precaution. I did meet with the leader of your conference to assure her there was no issue and she indicated that all was fine. I hope upon your return to Denver you will contact us so will may insure your next stay is a "Perfect 10 " Tnank You
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We had a graduation in the family. Several out of town family members stayed at the Doubletree. The rate given was the best in the area, which initially made me suspicious - there is usually a bad reason for this.

I was wrong.

From the 24hr shuttle service to the airport to the staff rearranging room assignments to meet an elderly family member's needs - the experience was first rate. I've stayed all over the world, and have sampled the best in the hospitality industry. There's something about this staff that stands out, no mindless platitudes, no empty statements - just a simple, earnest effort at all times to improve the quality of our stay. Whoever manages this place is inobtrusive, he/she was never in evidence each staff member seemed empowered to make the right decision within their job responsiblities - none of the "I'll have to ask the manager" statements were made. Cleanliness was paramount, and while the interior is slightly dated, the funky little odors and wear-and-tear issues were not in evidence.

In all a very relaxing stay at a very well run hotel in an out of the way part of Aurora. It's convenient to DTC and light rail (the shuttle will take you to the rail station), it's just a couple hundred feet to the freeway entrance and is much closer to DIA than any DTC hotel is. The in-hotel restaurant was quite adequate and nothing came out that wasn't acceptable (I'm noted by my family for sending things BACK). I'm not hard to please, but I do not appreciate being treated as a "tourist". Nothing like that happened.

Again, I was surprised. Something is being done right there - wish it could be duplicated at other moderately priced hotels.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
california
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Between the airport and Denver Tech center, this hotel was so homey I felt completely at ease the moment I walked in and was greeted by the hotel staff. After an extremely stressful work day, I was greeted with a warm cookie whose bag read "Stressed spelled backwards is desserts"...

Dark cloud lifted!! The bed was comfy the pillows heavenly and i slept sound, refreshed and ready to take on the next day's beat down!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was stunned to be able to get a room over 4th of July weekend. The staff is so nice. I loved grabbing drinks at the bar and talking to the bar tender. Beds were plush. The room was large and price was right. My only complaint is the elevators are slow and old. I don't mind waiting for 1 of 3 but I truly felt nervous inside them.

Room Tip: Ask for a 6th floor room. The view isn't so bad for Aurora
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
Stapleton
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Denver

Been to DoubleTree Denver Aurora? Share your experiences!