“Good service, serviceable sushi”

Blue Lagoon Asian Bistro
Ranked #471 of 804 Restaurants in Aurora
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I came here yesterday for a quick lunch based upon the good Yelp reviews. I was promptly greeted and seated. They have a maki roll lunch special, $11 for three rolls. Sounded good to me. I ordered a shrimp and asparagus roll, tuna and avocado roll and a Philadelphia roll. Since we were in the middle of the "rain storm of the century", there was only one other couple in the restaurant and service was fast. I was served a small bowl of miso soup that came with the lunch special. It was pretty good. My sushi came in less than 10 minutes. They had several sushi chefs on staff (I think this close to the Anschutz Medical Campus, they get super busy at lunchtime normally as they deliver. Anyhow, The sushi had very ample amounts of fish/shrimp but like another local sushi restaurant, was very skimpy on the rice. Now, I prefer small maki rolls as opposed to ones I need a knife and fork to eat (some other local places), but, there were parts of these rolls where the rice was only one grain thick on the outside of the seaweed and in places, you could see the seaweed, uncovered with rice on the outside of the roll. I know sushi rice is expensive but I don't think they were honestly trying to skimp based on the amount of tuna and salmon they used. The rolls were also strangely oblong in shape. This all being said, the sushi tasted good and was really a good value. I will return, but I'd like their sushi chefs to look at a picture to see what maki rolls are supposed to look like. :-)

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The sushi was delightful and extremely reasonable. The lunch sushi prices/deals are worth the drive! The eggplant in garlic sauce was absolutely wonderful! The wait staff was very friendly and accommodating!!! The location of the restaurant is a bit odd but the food and service will have us coming back again.